Used a white backdrop for photos.. now, how to PP to get bg to be 'true' white?

cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited October 15, 2009 in Technique
I recently took a bunch of photos for some friends of their kids.. obviously my white balance was a bit off - probably because I was using several different types of light sources.

So, now that I'm in the post-processing stages.. is there a relatively easy way to set the white balance on each shot so that the background is "white"?

I'm using a Mac, and Aperture 2 for my PP work. Here's a couple examples of what I'm talking about...

680458326_CrKcd-L-1.jpg

680443088_8oZ2n-L-1.jpg

680474008_xZAzq-L-1.jpg

680462056_Up74Y-L-1.jpg

Thanks!
Canon 5D MkIII
Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 14, 2009
    Aperture users??

Cute kids!

If you had used higher power lights on your background, it would be burned to white in your original image, eliminating the need for post shooting editing of the white background.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    I don't know Aperture, but Lightroom has an eyedropper tool for the WB, and I would assume Aperture should do something similar. You select the tool, and then click on something "neutral" (white, black, or a gray card usually) in the image, and it automatically sets the WB. In this case you would click on the white background it it should correct the WB.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
    edited October 14, 2009
    What if the light hitting the background wasn't neutral and truly white? The white balance eye dropper is a global edit - it will change the color balance of the whole image, including the kids, not JUST the background.

In Photoshop, create a new, second layer. Select the white area with the color select tool, or select the extreme highlights, mask out the kids with a soft mask, and then use a curve to drive the backgrounds to white.

I don't know if Aperture will accommodate local, rather than global, editing since I haven't used it since the advent of Lightroom2.

• SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    In Photoshop, create a new, second layer. Select the white area with the color select tool, or select the extreme highlights, mask out the kids with a soft mask, and then use a curve to drive the backgrounds to white.

that's what I'd do, except that I was lazy and I just cranked up the levels. rolleyes1.gif
    It took me less than 3 minutes including the mask and it looked pretty good. thumb.gif
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
    edited October 15, 2009
    I can do all that I stated in less than three minutes also, but not a fast as you just steepening a curve, that's for sure.

• cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

Wow.. .that sounds very complicated ... last time I tried to use photoshop and layers,.. it took me almost 10 minutes just to try to find out HOW to add a new layer.

Why add a layer in the first place? Why not just select the white background and modify that?
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
    Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic
    edited October 15, 2009
    Because I was attempting to not have any effect on the color balance or luminosity of the children's images. I wanted to mask them out, so that the changes to the background had zero effect on them.