*ENTRY* Thread DSS Mega-Challenge #8 (Emergence)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited July 10, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are eligible to enter this round (see below) you are not eligible to enter round #53

Cue dramatic music (Imagine the jaws shark violins in the background) :tough Welcome to the eighth Dgrin Sharp Shooters Mega-Challenge!

This contest will run from Monday, June 14, 8:00am PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, June 28, 8:00am PST time (GMT -7)

Your theme ready for wide open interpretation: Emergence

Two links to get you started with what you might want to interpret emergence as.
Emergence
Defined by the big G
It is always your choice how you decide to convert the theme into an image.
There are no editing restrictions for this round.

Your awesome and gracious judges are all previous Mega Challenge winners except for one judge from my local photo club.
Greensquared
cmurph
PaulThomasMcKee
sherstone
Jurgen Schwerdt (schwerdtphoto) 2009 president of HCPC

The contest is open to the following eligible photographers ONLY:

Kidzmom
The Curious Camel
Nikonic1
sh4d0w
dls
DeuceFour
michswiss
tinamarie52
dlplumer
ghinson
JAG
Angela Davis
kdotaylor
nightpixels
learnin
bf2015
whiterice
AaronNelson
liflander
Vandana
KevXman
divamum
Froch
BeachBill
johnloguk
lizzard_nyc
photo-bug

Click here for the DSS Mega-Challenge #8 ENTRY GALLERY

Remember, 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period.
Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
All official stuff (entry thread link, etc.) are here.

Comments

• ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Geez. That's deep.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    ghinson wrote: »
    Geez. That's deep.

Mega deep rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though it can be as complex or as simple as you interpret it to be. There are many ways to attack the theme, since there is more than one definition. :*sip*
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    ::gulp::
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    ahhhh...I love a good challenge to get me thinking hard....and after thinking about it all day I think I have an idea Emerging from this cluttered brain of mine!
    edited June 14, 2010
    That's the spirit JAG! :lurk
  • Angela DavisAngela Davis Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Having this little childhood song going through my head for this Challenge. The Wheels on the bus go round & round, round & round :skippy LoL

Many ideas to ponder on this one, Very Cool thumb.gif
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I've enjoyed working on this theme. I'm thrilled to be part of the group :) My first Mega!!!
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I have so many un-doable ideas....let's hope something emerges from the pack that's roaming around in my head!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    I can't wait to see the entries - all you guys are so talented!
    edited June 21, 2010
    Well, my first idea is great for theme and almost impossible to execute (although I have another way I might be able to clean it up... maybe....).

Sean, I have to give you credit - this is DEFINITELY a worthy theme for a mega, because it is bl**dy hard!!!! My brain oscillates between complex Dali-esque stuff that's beyond my composite skills, or total blank. I think it's fair to say it's stretching me to think way outside my usual box. You're a genius! thumb.gif
    edited June 21, 2010
    I am pleased that my diabolical plan has at least worked on you mwink.gif

For me when I envision the theme it becomes a barrage of "impossible" images as well. What I found in the past was to take those images stuck in your head and use them as fuel for more realistically possible and within budget creations.
    edited June 22, 2010
    Sean, it worked on me too! rolleyes1.gifI'm happy you chose this theme for sure. I had a zillion ideas floating around in my head--- from impractical to impossible. What I love about these challenges is that it forces you to think of/create images that you would NEVER have shot otherwise. It also forces you to try new things to get those shots..and think of creative ways to make them work (within your skillset/ and equipment set)! Hats off to you for your continuously fun and challenging themes! clap.gif
    sherstone wrote: »
    I am pleased that my diabolical plan has at least worked on you mwink.gif

For me when I envision the theme it becomes a barrage of "impossible" images as well. What I found in the past was to take those images stuck in your head and use them as fuel for more realistically possible and within budget creations.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Hardest part about this theme is deciding which definition to go with. Looks like many of the initial entries are going with the "gradual coming out" definition. However, the theory of emergence in science and art really is more about the complex phenomena that arises out of repeated simple patterns. I found a flickr group that deals with this notion...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/emergence/

...though not many of the pics are great photos.

I have taken a few photos that fits the scientific definition, but I am afraid the judges might be more swayed by a flower beginning to blossom, or some other more common use of the term.

I found a fun NOVA video on the scientific principle:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3410/03.html
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited June 22, 2010
    I'm working on the scientific definition, but just don't have a lens up to the task. I'm still trying though... we'll see if I get anywhere!
    edited June 22, 2010
    Ghinson and Diva...I agree that deciding on your "interpretation" is the hardest. I personally tried to go with something that could have both the scientific and obvious definitions...but like Diva, lens limitations are an issue too. For me... emergent patterns in water, water as initiating the emergence of life and the actual water droplet itself emerging from a splash. Just trying to cover my bases, Laughing.gif! My thinking was that the more it could relate on different levels the better :D
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    Ghinson and Diva...I agree that deciding on your "interpretation" is the hardest. I personally tried to go with something that could have both the scientific and obvious definitions...but like Diva, lens limitations are an issue too. For me... emergent patterns in water, water as initiating the emergence of life and the actual water droplet itself emerging from a splash. Just trying to cover my bases, Laughing.gif! My thinking was that the more it could relate on different levels the better :D

I'm about to take a photo of myself drooling because nothing is emerging from my brain. This way I cover getting a SP for my mini challenge which I said I would do, and I have something to put in the Mega clap.gif and rolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 22, 2010
    I'm about to take a photo of myself drooling because nothing is emerging from my brain. This way I cover getting a SP for my mini challenge which I said I would do, and I have something to put in the Mega clap.gif and rolleyes1.gif.

:lol4
    edited June 22, 2010
    Love it Liz!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha... DO IT!
    edited June 24, 2010
    Sean -

I've uploaded my Mega entry into the gallery. It was taken with a macro lens add-on which leaves a marked vignette. Question was raised whether or not that would count as a "border". It wasn't added in post, but is actually part of the shot itself. What's the official position on this? Thanks!!
    edited June 25, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Sean -
    Question was raised whether or not that would count as a "border". It wasn't added in post, but is actually part of the shot itself. What's the official position on this? Thanks!!

My main take on borders is if it is something that was added in post then a big no. In situations like this where your only real option to avoid the in camera vignette is to crop it, I tend to feel that it should be allowed. Cropping would detract from the image IMO.

So I am going to leave this one open ended by saying that in situations like this I would evaluate it on a per case.
    In this case, yes it is allowed, especially since you pre-qualified it by asking.

thanks
    edited June 25, 2010
    Thanks Sean! thumb.gif
    edited June 28, 2010
    Mega ends...

Lots of judges in these rounds, I expect the results to take several days.
    Start those manicures mwink.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    :lurk
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Soooo glad I did not have to do this one. Tough theme. Good luck to all the participants.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Angela DavisAngela Davis Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    :whew
    edited June 29, 2010
    Winners List
    See here for the results
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    I have added my comments to the gallery. Please excuse me if I've been a bit brutal. I figure it helps you more to know the true thoughts that crossed my mind when judging as opposed to sugar coating them all with "Nice shot!".

Very well done, all of you. It was a toughie! :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    I have added my comments to the gallery. Please excuse me if I've been a bit brutal. I figure it helps you more to know the true thoughts that crossed my mind when judging as opposed to sugar coating them all with "Nice shot!".

Great critiques Emily clap.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010

Wow Emily, thank you so much for the critique and clarification on what I've done - very, very helpful!
    I really appreciate this :)

*I read all your comments, and understood a lot of things - I didn't find anything "brutal", just clear
    professional help - Thank you again.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to comment on every entry. I would like to see the other judges do the same. I think mega challenges should be no different than other rounds where the judges comment on their top 10 picks. Since the point if these challenges is more about learning than anything else, I would like to see how each individual judge ranked the entries along with their reasonings behind their rankings by commenting under each entry. I would like this to be a "requirement" in mega challenges. Show us your ranking and tell us why instead of showing us a total score. Doing it this way will benefit the community a great deal.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer