• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Sorry Scott!

The Best of
    FAMILY PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY
    Professional Techniques and Images

ISBN: 1-58428-172-3

I pm'd a book review to David last night. I want to stress that this is a good starting point for beginners in particular. Touches upon everything you can think of, but it would be up to the reader to research and delve further if they were not already up on certain aspects. You can view the inside of the book on Amazon, to see if it's anything you would be interested in.
    Excellent - thanks and I'll take a look at it right now!
  • TS4FTS4F Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 12, 2007
    The pictures look great, but you should edit out a lot more of them
    First of all, you did well on this photo session, so don't worry about the idiots who hired you -- the issue is definitely with them, not with your photos.

That said, you need to EDIT EDIT EDIT!!! There are 51 pictures in that gallery. If you picked the 10 best and ditched the rest I think you'd have a much more powerful presentation. There's *NO WAY* that a client is going to buy all 51 pictures, so why show them anything but the very best. There *is* a chance that they'll buy 10 if they're all good, but they're not likely to take the time to do the editing for you. Sure, it means throwing away perfectly acceptable shots, but it also forces you to critically analyze each and every shot, so what you're left with will truly be the gems.

As an example, the last page has *six* pictures of the boy playing with his dinosaur. Posting all 6 makes it look like you just shot a ton of pictures hoping one would turn out OK (and it's up to the viewer to decide which one!) If *you* select the best of the bunch and don't show the other 5 to the client, you'll be showing better pictures.

-Alex
  • rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    controld wrote:
    I found the gallery to be quite enjoyable. I guess the issue was mistaken expectations. I'd much rather have shots like that on my wall at home than the 'sitting on a broomstick' Sears family photo from Christmas.

- Mike
    my exact thoghts too,
    you did great job. I guess not a lot of people like something other than uber-boring family posed portraits rolleyes1.gif
    Don't worry, you did what you do best, it's just they didn't expect it.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    I'm a nobody here, but here's my take....
    I'm commenting on this a little late in the game...but I think the photos are great. I would be proud to have those pix on my wall. Yes...the dad does seem a little uneasy in front of the camera, but IMO that isn't your fault. If he is uneasy all the time, then you may take 200 shots hoping for 6 or 8 decent ones and he still may look that way. To prevent this from happening in the future, I'd just make sure you discuss your style with the client ahead of time. I have to do it constantly. When folks talk to me about portraits, I tell them straight up, I don't do rigid stiff poses in bright lighting. My stuff is low key, relaxed, and of a more sensual nature. So far nobody has been disappointed, but I'm sure we all have to face that at some point.

I admire you as a brother in glass because you have chosen your style and stick with what works for and pleases you. Don't allow one family who was a little ho-hum about your work dim your spirits. The shots were great. Nuff sed.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    I'm a little late as well...
    Not sure if anyone here work with e-commerce and usability. If you do, you have most likely heard of Barry Schwartz. He wrote a book entitled "Paradox of choice...why less is more". Different concepts (internet vs. photogaphy) but I think in this case it may be applicable. Basically, the more options a user has, the more likely they are to become frustrated and leave or give up. Such a simple concept when you think about it...but one I know I don't think about daily.

sorry to get off topic...

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Well, less is more... sometimes.
    I also think the clients need to have a choice to choose between.
    Customers have likes and dislikes, I took a great deal of classes, and in every single one of them it was touched at the point that you have to give your customer choices, different angles, different poses...

Maybe I took that advise too litterally...

Thanks Saurora for the book title, I will certainly read it, it is a promise.

Thank you all for the comments, I do listen to pro advise, if the majority says one thing, I will follow the majority. (Up to a certain leven! I am also pigheaded... or stubborn!)

I have always liked this board for the great advise you get from the whole group! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif