Options

Upper case and lower case page names - huh?

creativedogmediacreativedogmedia Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 20, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I just made the move from Squarespace and overall love Smugmug across the board. There are a few little things that are actually big things that I need to better understand.

My domain, www.creativedogmedia.com, was set up at SS to have pages like www.creativedogmedia.com/buy-prints, www.creativedogmedia.com/services and www.creativedogmedia.com/contact-us.

In moving to SM, I wanted to keep the same page names in place since there are pieces of marketing in place online and in print. Had no clue that SM prevented page names from going to all lowercase. It makes zero sense. I've since had to customize 404 error pages for two of them and the /services one goes to some random SM page that I CAN'T edit (totally separate look, feel, etc from my site). I don't get it.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    Excellent question. In order to ensure that we can continue to innovate and grow smugmug, we needed some convention so that we could add certain pages in the future. For example, recently we released a "Client Area" (some sites call it "Client Login) that's always accessed at /client. If we had allowed SmugMuggers to create pages with lowercase "/client", then we wouldn't have been able to add this page. All folders, galleries, or pages that you create have to start with an Uppercase first letter. SmugMug created pages (like /date, /popular, /search, /client, etc) start with the lowercase first letter. If the name is not one of SmugMug's reserved names, we'll automatically redirect an allowed lowercase name to the Uppercase name for you (like we do for your /buy-prints and /contact-us). There's another post I made over here which describes the "reserved words" that cannot be used for folder, gallery, or page names.

The /services one appears to be a bug. It should either redirect to /Services, or to your 404 page. I'll see if we can squash this pretty quickly.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations