Options

Trying the power subscription

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited November 19, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Dear all,
I am a basic user thinking for moving to power plan, mostly for the web site customization (make my web page with many different links and so on).

I wanted to ask if there is a trial packet where I can see what customization I can have with the power plan, or if I would be allowed to change back to basic if needed.

Can my visitors order prints from my basic or power web page? With that I mean would I receive as well money or not?

I would like to thank you for your reply
Regards
Alex

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited November 13, 2015
    Why not start a (new) trial smugmug site to see if there is enough in the upgraded subscription for you? You can cancel it before paying and then upgrade your current account. See http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/93325-how-do-i-subscribe-to-smugmug-what-about-renewals-.

Your photos can be purchased on both basic and power plans if you enable buying on your site. You will not receive any money for sales on either of those plans. To price and sell your photos at a profit you must have either a Portfolio or Business account.

--- Denise
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2015
    You could start a fresh trial as Denise suggested and you would have to use an email different than the one you currently use. Note that a free trial is a fully functioning Business account, so just test out the customization parts of the trial and not the e-commerce features.

You can also go ahead and upgrade your current paid Basic account to the Power account. Try the Power account for a couple weeks and if you want to drop back down to Basic just send SmugMug an email and we will refund your upgrade fee.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2015
    Why not start a (new) trial smugmug site to see if there is enough in the upgraded subscription for you? You can cancel it before paying and then upgrade your current account. See http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/93325-how-do-i-subscribe-to-smugmug-what-about-renewals-.

Your photos can be purchased on both basic and power plans if you enable buying on your site. You will not receive any money for sales on either of those plans. To price and sell your photos at a profit you must have either a Portfolio or Business account.

--- Denise

Thanks guys,
    what about my clients getting easy access to printing services where I can receive a percentage back?

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2015
    what about also having a different url that does not end with smugmug? How many days the trial lasts?
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2015
    alaios wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    what about my clients getting easy access to printing services where I can receive a percentage back?

Regards
    Alex

You can only earn a percentage of the profit if you set your own prices. That would require a Portfolio or Business account. The Power account user can offer the EZ Print lab only, same as Basic users.

You can compare the 4 plans here https://www.smugmug.com/features
    what about also having a different url that does not end with smugmug? How many days the trial lasts?
    A free trial, if you were to start one, is 14 days. Important to note that we cannot translate your free trial to your current paid account. The free trial would just be for testing to see what you can do with customization, as you mentioned. It might be better for you to just upgrade your paid account, then if you are not satisfied after 14 days you can email the SmugMug help desk and we can switch you back and refund the difference.

A custom domain would need to be purchased in order to remove .smugmug from the end of the URL. You can purchase through our GoDaddy re-seller account which will make the setup really easy. You can learn more about how that is done here - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93340
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2015

--- Denise
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    You can only earn a percentage of the profit if you set your own prices. That would require a Portfolio or Business account. The Power account user can offer the EZ Print lab only, same as Basic users.

You can compare the 4 plans here https://www.smugmug.com/features

A free trial, if you were to start one, is 14 days. Important to note that we cannot translate your free trial to your current paid account. The free trial would just be for testing to see what you can do with customization, as you mentioned. It might be better for you to just upgrade your paid account, then if you are not satisfied after 14 days you can email the SmugMug help desk and we can switch you back and refund the difference.

A custom domain would need to be purchased in order to remove .smugmug from the end of the URL. You can purchase through our GoDaddy re-seller account which will make the setup really easy. You can learn more about how that is done here - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93340

what is the EZ print lab option? Why I can not get a percentage when a customer orders a print? :(
    Alex
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2015
    what is the EZ print lab option? Why I can not get a percentage when a customer orders a print? :(
    Alex
    EZ Prints is one of the print labs. If you choose a Power subscription that is the lab that is used. You can see information on this page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/93270-which-print-labs-are-available-through-my-smugmug-account-.

If you want to get a percentage when a customer orders a print you must choose either the Portfolio or Business subscription. Power subscriptions sell prints at SmugMug's base cost. You can see the differences between the plans at https://www.smugmug.com/features (as Zac noted above). Note that the feature "Sell photos online" is shown for Portfolio and Business plans.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2015
    Hm.. thanks for the answer. It looks like that I still do not understand what are the print options available but I would need to try them somehow.
    Can you please let me know if are any print services for germany? Dispatching print from USA to germany is not a good option, I guess.

One last question can power profile allow me to add text and with external links (referencing other web sites for example?)
    Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2015
    It looks like that I still do not understand what are the print options available but I would need to try them somehow.
    Can you please let me know if are any print services for germany? Dispatching print from USA to germany is not a good option, I guess.

One last question can power profile allow me to add text and with external links (referencing other web sites for example?)
    If you choose a power subscription the print services come from EZ Prints. I you choose a Portfolio subscription you can use Loxley Color (which I believe is in the UK).
    Again, the lab choices are shown on this page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/93270-which-print-labs-are-available-through-my-smugmug-account-. Of the 4 lab choices shown, all but Loxley are in the United States. Only EZ Prints is available for Power subscriptions.

Yes, you can add text with external links to your site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2015
    Thanks for the answers.
    1. Can you please give me a list with customized web sites of users?
    2. I think I would upgrade to power on the account I already have. I guess I would be able to edit a new web site by leaving the current site I have, as I work to the new one.
    3, Any plans to add more print labs in whole europe?
    4. Is there any blogging allowed in the current smugmug web sites?

I would like to thank you for your reply
    Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2015

That isn't possible. You can look at my site and Denise in our signature line.

4. Is there any blogging allowed in the current smugmug web sites?

Smugmug doesn't provide a blogging platform. If you need a blog, I would suggest using WordPress or Blogger. I use WordPress and I know Denise uses Blogger. Both of us have integrated our blog to match our SmugMug site.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2015
    Thanks for the answers.

You could look through this BIG thread where people show off their customised sites:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237680
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2015
    That isn't possible. You can look at my site and Denise in our signature line.

Smugmug doesn't provide a blogging platform. If you need a blog, I would suggest using WordPress or Blogger. I use WordPress and I know Denise uses Blogger. Both of us have integrated our blog to match our SmugMug site.

what if I do not need a blog but a place to write short articles linked from my main site.
    Why do you have smugmug and wordpress sites? How these two work together combined?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2015
    what if I do not need a blog but a place to write short articles linked from my main site.

You don't need to use a blog to write articles, but honestly, Smugmug isn't for writing articles. You can use SM to write articles and I know a few people that do that, but there are better tools out there.

Why do you have smugmug and wordpress sites? How these two work together combined?

I started using WordPress years ago, and I continue to use it as my "main site". I was given a SM account a few years ago and mainly us it for my family (unlisted) photos.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2015
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2015
    You don't need to use a blog to write articles, but honestly, Smugmug isn't for writing articles. You can use SM to write articles and I know a few people that do that, but there are better tools out there.

I started using WordPress years ago, and I continue to use it as my "main site". I was given a SM account a few years ago and mainly us it for my family (unlisted) photos.

thanks for the helpful answers. Can you share some people links that do that? I think that managing both wordpress and smugmug gonna be painful...
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2015
    Can you share some people links that do that? I think that managing both wordpress and smugmug gonna be painful...
    You can look at my site for an example using Blogger.

It's not painful to maintain a blog on a blogging platform that is designed for text and to maintain Smug for photos. I think it would be more painful to use SmugMug's content blocks for blog content than it is to have a presence on two sites. That said, if you're thinking about only an occasional page of text then creating it on SmugMug saves you the exercise of matching the looks of two different sites.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2015
    thanks for the helpful answers. Can you share some people links that do that? I think that managing both wordpress and smugmug gonna be painful...

Look at my site: www.imagesinthebackcountry.com for WordPress. I created a sub-domain and that's where my Smugmug resides: http://gallery.imagesinthebackcountry.com.