Options

Are Vimeo Sales Allowed on SmugMug?

PDXLokiPDXLoki Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 19, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I can't seem to find this answer anywhere (which doesn't make me hopeful). I emailed SM support but received no response. What I need is a website that can sell photos and videos and do it right. This was my draw to SM, but like other users, I find the video system to be insufficient.

Can we sell Vimeo videos through embedded videos on our SM sites? Or is that not allowed? I don't want to spend the time and money on this just to find out later it's either impossible or against policy. I realize I could probably set this up myself with my own site and hosting, but I'd rather not spend the time on it. I'd rather just pay for the service, even if it's not ideal.

Any clear, truthful answer is better than no answer. If this is against policy, I'll look into other options.

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited November 18, 2015
    The SmugMug cart is set up to sell items that are hosted on SmugMug only.

As far as I know selling a video download will download a video that is hosted on SmugMug, not on Vimeo. I'd recommend verifying that with SmugMug though.

Have you checked your spam folder to see if a response from the helpdesk ended up there? They are usually pretty quick at responding to emails.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2015
    I did look through my spam folder, but no luck. I wouldn't try to sell videos through the SM cart, though that is where I would sell photos. Vimeo videos would be embedded and my customers could click on them and purchase directly through the player. Or so Vimeo says, anyway. I'll email SM again in hopes I can catch somebody's attention this time around.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited November 18, 2015
    PDXLoki wrote: »
    I did look through my spam folder, but no luck. I wouldn't try to sell videos through the SM cart, though that is where I would sell photos. Vimeo videos would be embedded and my customers could click on them and purchase directly through the player. Or so Vimeo says, anyway. I'll email SM again in hopes I can catch somebody's attention this time around.
    That's very interesting. It sounds like you're trying to expose the Vimeo sales platform in your smugmug site. Have you tried setting one up, embedding it on your site, and seeing if it works?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2015
    I haven't tried yet. I figured it would be far easier to ask first, though maybe that's not the case.

Edit: I think I blew it when I sent my original email request. I think I closed the subsequent pop-up rather than reading it and posting it.