Finishing touches... My people website plus new stuff.

codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited December 31, 2009 in People
I've been putting the finishing touches on my people website for months and I believe I'm all caught up now. This site is all about exposing what I do and how I do things when it comes to photographing people be it models, weddings or events.

Let me know what you think and please take your time on the site as I have many layers on the site and would love for people to find bugs and other issues on it. The last piece of the puzzle is wording what my packages offer, but for now I like the language and it means they have to contact me for now.

If anyone wants to know what I did to create the site I'm open for it.

http://chriswarkocki.com

Also here are some new pics from a class I taught in Rockford.
685789718_RShnj-L.jpg

685885612_Xg8gn-XL.jpg
-Chris :)
http://simplyphotostudio.com
http://decayedbeauty.com

Comments

• The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Since you asked comments, I'll share some thoughts I'd have as a client:
    1. I'm not too fond of sites that catch me by surprise with music, especially when browsing in the workspace :) At first, I also couldn't find where to turn it off on the site since the oscilloscope is not very visible.
    2. I was looking at the wedding package offers, and it's hard as a client to know what distinguishes them. I'd want a bit more concrete info in terms of prints offered and such.
    3. The snowflakes are fine for a bit of dynamism, although a bit period specific?

0.2 cents from a newb on the forum!
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Chris,
    I haven't seen you posting here for a while. I enjoy your work.

Your site:
    not a fan of music on websites, sometimes it can be annoying.

hope you keep posting your stuff here....
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Chris,

Like the site overall. Clean and concise. Load times are good, people don't like to wait for sites to load. Images on the site are good and diverse... really shows that you can shoot pretty much anything.

Things I didn't like... The snow flakes are distracting. But the music is worse. Really. Most people don't like their browser to be hijacked by stuff and music is one of the big offenders. I also agree with the other poster on the info for the packages you offer. Your link says prices yet I didn't find any when I clicked. Worse, I still don't know what I really get in the each package that I am now wonder wondering how much will cost me.

Hope that helps.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hey Chris,

First let me say that your images are fantastic thumb.gif I find that you do have a wide variety and overall I like your website. There are a couple things though.

For one, I am going to go against the grain and disagree, but I don't mind music on websites as long as it fit the site (as much as I like Iron Maiden, I don't think it would go very well with a photography website Laughing.gif). So, for me this is not bad (check out my site, I've got music also www.northviewstudio.com).

I will have to say though that when I clicked on the packages and the prices came up, I was a little confused as to what was being offered. I find that there are two ways to approach this: #1. Publish your prices, packages and what you get with them online, or #2 Don't, and let the customer request you send them something outlining what you offer. I personally don't put my prices online, but have made up a price sheet with all packages and prices in a universally usable PDF file, and then I can simply e-mail it to my clients or print some out and hand them out at request. Also, try and avoid degrading your own offerings (telling people that your highest package makes the basic package look like a $.25 novelty item at a grocery store would make me feel like I was going to get an inferior product)

The other thing I want to point out, and it may just be me, but things like "Enter Da Site" and "Hit Da Blog" seem to me to be not very professional. I would reword them to give it more an air of professionalism. Then again, I'm kind of old school when it comes to that, and it just may turn off some potential clients.

Other than those couple things, I think it looks pretty nice! thumb.gif

Those are the comments from the peanut gallery!

Take Care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    How do you turn off the snow or does my monitor have dandruff?headscratch.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 11, 2009
    The photographs you show are fantastic!

The music is ok...I found the way to turn it off. Perhaps you should mark it as music on/off so the customer can turn it off or leave it on at their choosing.

Your description of the various packages sucks to be blunt. All the customer knows for sure is how much they cost. What they do not know is what they actually get with each package. I agree with what Joe said about the wording you have in your package descriptions. What if the lower priced package is all I can afford...you have made me feel like that package is somehow junk and not actually worth the cost. If you want people to contact you, describe a couple of packages, tell them what they are getting, then put in there "contact me for further information"

Get rid of the slang, you are not playing Da Bears in Chicago. You are selling your talent as a photographer. The site looks high class then you lower it a couple of notches by using slang.

As far as the snow goes, get rid of it. To me, it looks funny snowing on a summer wedding shot.

Sorry to be so negative here but you asked what we thought.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Just to echo a couple comments. The snow is not helping the overall look....no way to make it stop snowing (hey, I live in MN..so a reprieve is in order :D:D:D:D).

There must be an intuitive location for turning off the music for those that want. I don't understand the crowd that doesn't like music with a website but it seems like a 50-50 split on those for it or against. I get the same comments on mine ne_nau.gif

The pricing......you MUST put up numbers. There are many that don't....it's like looking at a B&H catalog....."call for price". My thinking is, "Heck with it" time to move on.

Another observation....what market are you desiring to appeal? Weddings? People in general? What brings the question is when clicking on Portfolio the first image is this dude with writing on his knuckles (albiet a cool shot), it's not something I find inviting as a potential client as the next image is a detail shot from a wedding...so the display of the first two images were a disconnect for me.

The moving slide show slows down the presentation and the images begin looking pixelated as they move since the bandwidth can't keep up. I'm on very fast cable here and although it's a cool effect, I think it takes away from some of the wow factor (and that's really what the site is supposed to be about IMHO).

Also...and yes, I know we all work hard at writing and creating the sites, so take with a grain of salt. In your "about me"....2nd paragraph.....the about light, controlling light, making photograph statement is really irrelevant to a potential client, especially one with no photographic background. Often we think and convey our ideas as though we are speaking to those who are on the same page (i.e. someone who "gets" photography). A suggestion would be to describe your vision for the potential client...what do you bring to the table that is unique than the last 3 sites they just came from?

Some thoughts meant to help thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    @The_Fat_Zebra

Yeah music is the tough call and I myself don't like sites with music especially sites with music with no way to turn them off. I'm still up in the air whether or not I'll keep music as it does leave a level of dynamics to the site.

The packages is that last piece I need to go over and make sure works. I've left that wording in for now just so there are words to remind me that I need to finish that up.

The snowflakes are something I can turn on and off easily and are here only for the holidays. So far the clients that I have had pop onto the site thought it was cute and different from all the other photographers site. Guess they love a little creativity too.

@ Jwar

Of course I'll keep posting here, just I have to stop being so busy so I can get online and post! Plus my current stuff is boring to me with all the corporate headshots and such.

@ Cuban

To find the package prices you'll have to read the whole little paragraph. It mentions to check out the links at the bottom right of the site which have my current pricing divided into my three main categories.

@ Joe

Hmmm... tonight I will actually go through each package and fill in exactly what is offered. You guys just had to twist my arm :)

Fixed the wording on the splash page ;) Totally makes sense but sometimes my sense of humor gets the best of me.

@bmoreshooter

Dandruff, really bad case ;)

@ captain 78

Not really negative at all. Took the slang out and my project tonight is to word each package. The snow will stay as many of the clients that have seen the site thought it was cute and it'll go onces February hits or when I'm tired of snow lol.

@ Swartzy

There be numbers for the packages. Maybe I need to make it easier to find... hmmmm...

You mentioned one of my next chanhges which is the create an actual wedding/family/kids slideshow, then one for my modeling work, then another for personal work that shows my artistry. I have the slideshow made up now that will replace the knuckle guy one just need to plus it all in and send her through. Good point though.

The main moving slideshow will get pixelated from time to time as it's a low quality flash slideshow so anyone on any bandwidth can view it. I just hate viewing things as one image at a time that is static. I wanted a video slideshow that had some dynamics to it and the tradeoff was IQ.

Thank you all for the feedback. Needed that info from the fellow photography crowd and all points were taken to heart. Lots of great points given and there are already new changes to the site added.
  • kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hi Chris,

I'll throw my two cents into the ring.

First of all, the snow doesn't bother me, as long as you don't leave it on forever.

I like your images, and I've always enjoyed your work. So take anything negative I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

I didn't get very far on your website the first time... as soon as I clicked on the Portfolio link it said it was "LOADING" forever... and ever.... I had to close it down, which is weird, since I'm on a very fast connection.

When I loaded it again, it was fine, just slow in loading each time I clicked on a button.
    The main moving slideshow will get pixelated from time to time as it's a low quality flash slideshow so anyone on any bandwidth can view it. I just hate viewing things as one image at a time that is static. I wanted a video slideshow that had some dynamics to it and the tradeoff was IQ.
    Okay, here's the problem with that: as a potential customer, I will come to your website and see right away that the images you're displaying in your slideshow look low res and pixelated... and I'll likely decide not to go with you. If you're compromising on IQ and not showing your very best to attract customers, I'd be afraid that you won't do a high quality job if I were to hire you. When showing off your work to new customers, you want to show your VERY BEST.

I also clicked on your Portrait package pricing at the bottom right of the screen. It's good to see prices, but I gotta admit, I was rolling my eyes as I read your very obtuse and abstract wording on what is included in each package. It feels evasive, and very un-professional... (trying to remember if you said that was one of the next things you were working on or not). It screams avoidance, as if you want to change what you offer in your packages as you go along, and don't want to commit yourself to anything in writing.

You've got some great photos to show off... just don't chinz on the quality of what you're showing, and be up front with what your packages offer.
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Site changes!

Still need to word the packages and will try a higher grade video next!
  • KimVKimV Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Site changes!

Still need to word the packages and will try a higher grade video next!

LOVE LOVE LOVE your site & your work, WOW! I'm not keen on the wording of your wedding packages though, especially how you refer to your basic level...it made me think if it's that bad, why not have a better one? I can see it's in good fun, but to put down your own work/package, would make me go elsewhere if that was all I could afford.
    Any hints, links, tutorials on where to start learning about doing this type of site?
    kind regards, Kim