Old Barns III....a few favorites

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited December 8, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Some of you may remember a couple of these. They're some of my favorites....just taking another look.

mountains10-16-08%200048-X2.jpg

mountains%2010%020-%20009%20049-X2.jpg

mountains10-16-08%20035-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Love an old barn. One thing I don't love about living where I do -- no old barns. Great place for a senior shoot.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    Love an old barn. One thing I don't love about living where I do -- no old barns. Great place for a senior shoot.

Thanks for the visit, Josh.

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have some old barns to shoot....they're probably my favorite subjects. Well, car shows are right up there too.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Nice series, I like the third one best.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    Nice set of images Tom thumb.gif Each thoughtfully composed.
    Michael
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 23, 2012
    Those look like great! Mike and Frank from American Pickers might want to know where that second barn is located.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 23, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice series, I like the third one best.

Thanks for the visit, Cristobal. That last one ranks high on my personal top-ten list.

Tom
    edited November 23, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Nice set of images Tom thumb.gif Each thoughtfully composed.

Yo, Michael. Where have you been, buddy....back into the hinterlands again?

Thanks for the nice comments,

Tom
    edited November 23, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Those look like great! Mike and Frank from American Pickers might want to know where that second barn is located.

Hey David,

It's sure great to hear from you. Thanks for looking in.

There was a neighbor's barn across the road from the one in my second shot. The neighbor's barn was about 5 or 6 times as big as the one I've shown. It belonged to an old man ( died in his 90's ) that had been one of the areas very first oil company distributors. Every square inch....literally.... of the exterior walls was covered by signage of some sort. Inside, there was an assortment of paraphernalia from his business activities in the oil industry that simply boggled the mind. A large portion of his collection was NOS ( new old stock ).

Apparently, his accumulation of this kind of stuff was much better known than I realized. After his death, the family staged a two-day auction which attracted buyers from all corners of the country. According to the owner of the barn I've shown, the old man's heirs realized close to $300,000 from the auction. From all that I saw, I was kind of half surprised that the sale didn't net more than that.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    Howdy Tom,

Hope Y'all had a Wonderful Thanksgiving !!!

Really love that first one, especially full size, all the colors and
    composition is really pleasing to me.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    I enjoyed them all, but #1 is my favorite .. the colors are so rich looking. I also like how the brown grass/weeds edge the front of the barn.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    Hi Tom, I really like the composition on #1. The autumnal colours really make it - looks like it would be a nice place to live.

Cheers, Richard.
    edited November 24, 2012
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Hope Y'all had a Wonderful Thanksgiving !!!

Really love that first one, especially full size, all the colors and
    composition is really pleasing to me.

Hey you,

I hope y'all's Turkey Day was great. Darlene and I stayed in Jacksonville but we low-keyed everything....went out for the big dinner, just the two of us. Had some quiet time together. Ought to do more of that.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    edited November 24, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I enjoyed them all, but #1 is my favorite .. the colors are so rich looking. I also like how the brown grass/weeds edge the front of the barn.

#1 is my favorite barn shot of all time. That whole scene was idyllic and I was lucky enough to come along at the right time and capture it.

Stay warm,

Tom
    edited November 24, 2012
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, I really like the composition on #1. The autumnal colours really make it - looks like it would be a nice place to live.

Cheers, Richard.

Hi Richard,

That barn is located in one of the most beautiful little valleys I've ever seen. You round a bend and....bam....there it is, right before your eyes: a small cluster of old farm houses and a couple of barns. Took my breath away.

Happy Holidays,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    All nice captures Tom thumb.gif

My favorite is the third barn. It has so much time worn character, the saging just shows how tough time is on the old barn, and for sure, on ourselves rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited November 26, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    All nice captures Tom thumb.gif

My favorite is the third barn. It has so much time worn character, the saging just shows how tough time is on the old barn, and for sure, on ourselves rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, pard, for the visit. Boy, I hear you about the ravages of time. I laid down on the floor the other day to retrieve something from under the sofa and, I swear, it took me five minutes to get my butt up.....with me squealing and hollering the whole time. Disgraceful.

Tom
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Very nice, Tom, very nice! I especially like the fall colors in the first shot. I really do need to get out and find some old barns now that I'm down in these parts.
    edited November 27, 2012
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom, very nice! I especially like the fall colors in the first shot. I really do need to get out and find some old barns now that I'm down in these parts.

I hope you get a chance to do that, John. I'd love to see your take on these wonderful old structures.

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    #1 is great and #2 I remember from other shots of yours. Nice collection all around.

How many shots have you done of cars in front of old barns??? Maybe you could buy one at the next auction and drive it to barn #2. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    redleash wrote: »

How many shots have you done of cars in front of old barns??? Maybe you could buy one at the next auction and drive it to barn #2. :D

Lauren

That's actually a brilliant idea!
    This would be a money-maker location for vintage auto photography.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited November 29, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    That's actually a brilliant idea!
    This would be a money-maker location for vintage auto photography.

You'd have to be careful about using this as a background. Because there's so much eye candy in the scene, you run the risk of diluting interest in the main subject....the vehicle. But I, too, am attracted to the potential. In fact, I've been on the hunt for a good vintage truck. I've scouted a few locales where I'd like to shoot it....this old barn and one other one are prime candidates.

Tom
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    I may be a picker at heart, because I love #2 not for it's brilliant colors and weathered wood, but for how many things I can identify. Brass bed, galvanized watering can, foot locker, horse collar, hand water pump, and that huge anvil...

Actually that anvil is very intriguing. The flat lip on the base means it's almost certainly a British Peter Wright anvil, and the sheer size means it's got to be north of 350 lb. Too bad it's in such poor shape.
    red_zone wrote: »
    I may be a picker at heart, because I love #2 not for it's brilliant colors and weathered wood, but for how many things I can identify. Brass bed, galvanized watering can, foot locker, horse collar, hand water pump, and that huge anvil...

Actually that anvil is very intriguing. The flat lip on the base means it's almost certainly a British Peter Wright anvil, and the sheer size means it's got to be north of 350 lb. Too bad it's in such poor shape.

Well, Jake, I would say you do have the eye of a picker. I hadn't paid that much attention to the size of that anvil until you mentioned it. Brother, that is a big one. Have you any idea what the value of something like that may be? Just curious....might be a chance for me to make a real buy. The last time I dropped by this place, the owner was in a real selling mood.

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    Tom,
    I've got to say, "it depends" an awful lot... on location, active blacksmith associations, make and condition of anvil. $2 to $5 per pound... but this one will need repair before it's used again, so I'd advise against buying it to flip. If you can grab it for a hundred dollars, you'd still have to MOVE it... TWICE!
    red_zone wrote: »
    Tom,
    I've got to say, "it depends" an awful lot... on location, active blacksmith associations, make and condition of anvil. $2 to $5 per pound... but this one will need repair before it's used again, so I'd advise against buying it to flip. If you can grab it for a hundred dollars, you'd still have to MOVE it... TWICE!

Thanks, Jake, for your input. There's a lot of savvy in your assessment....and in your advice. I've been known to take a gamble now and then, but, the prospect of having to move this critter around, flat kills any considerations I may have had otherwise. I'd best stick to deals where I'm a competent player.

Thanks again,

Tom
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 1, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    ...Mike and Frank from American Pickers might want to know where that second barn is located.

My thought exactly!!! lol3.gif

I really love #1. Beautiful colors and comp
    edited December 6, 2012
    I thought that vintage truck you were hunting for was my birthday gift!

I still think you could find a way to get a car and the barn in one shot without losing the beauty of either one to the eye candy you speak of. You're a clever guy, Tom--you could figure out a way. And I would buy one for my own wall!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited December 6, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    I thought that vintage truck you were hunting for was my birthday gift!

I still think you could find a way to get a car and the barn in one shot without losing the beauty of either one to the eye candy you speak of. You're a clever guy, Tom--you could figure out a way. And I would buy one for my own wall!

Well, Lauren, I'm kind of holding you responsible for this whole thing anyway.:D You're the one that really got me interested in getting an old truck....the inclination on my part was there, but you did a fine job of stoking the fires.

I'll definitely shoot the truck in some sort of barn environment...perhaps the very one I've shown in #2. I saw a scene the other day that also got me to thinking: it's a beautiful, pastoral setting with a stream running through it. I'll back the truck up to the stream, get some some local kids to jump on the tailgate with cane poles, and shoot the scene as they go about their " fishing ". It will have a real Norman Rockwell look to it.

Rest assured, I'll make a present to you of anything I generate that turns out well. But first, I've got find the right truck....at the right price.

Tom
    edited December 8, 2012
    I'm glad I'm such a positive influence on you, Tom. :D

I still plan to send you my white-tailed deer shot whenever you build your mountain home--I'll trade it for the barn/truck shot. Old barn, old truck, kids and cane poles--Norman Rockwell meets Andy Griffith--can't get much better than that.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com