Finally reached Darawar Fort

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited November 3, 2008 in Journeys
The next day went to Darawar fort in Cholistan desert

The wont drive a van until it is completely full of people.

You can see a local guy wearing traditional Shawl known as Ajrak
249132347-L.jpg

Well reached the fort by changing multiple mods of transportation this is called Rikshaw
249132791-L.jpg

Finally this one will drop at door of fort around 40km away from this place

249133297-L.jpg

The Rohi, or Cholistan, is a barren desert tract, bounded on the north and west by the Hakra depression with ruins of old settlements along its high banks; it is still inhabited by nomads. It is at a distance of 30 km. from Bahawalpur. The word 'Cholistan' is derived from the word 'cholna' which means moving.

It covers an area of about 16,000 square km and extends into the Thar Desert of India. The region was once watered by the Hakra River, known as the Saravati in vedic times.

At one time there were 400 forts in the area and archaeological finds around the Darawar Fort, the only place with a perennial waterhole.

The average annual rainfall is only 12 cm, and the little cultivation is made possible by underground wells, drawn up by the camels. The water is stored in troughs, built by the tribes, between sandhills and din waterholes called tobas.

The forts here were built at 29 km intervals, which probably served as guard posts for the camel caravan routes. There were three rows of these forts. the first line of forts began from Phulra and ended in Lera, the second from Rukhanpur to Islamgarh, and the third from Bilcaner to Kapoo. They are all in ruins now, and you can see that they were built with double walls of gypsum blocks and mud. Some of them date back to 1000 BC, and were destroyed and rebuilt many times. Cholistan also boasts of many old forts such as Derawar,Vingrot, Banwar, Marcot, Wilhar, Maujgharh, Mao, Phuira and Din-gharh etc.

This whole fort is made of clay and bricks and hight is 30 meters
249790541-L.jpg

249136365-L.jpg

249139213-L.jpg

249139857-L.jpg

249140659-L.jpg

Well government allocate budget for renovate the fort but .......
249142849-L.jpg

249143997-L.jpg

Kid with his camel
249144713-L.jpg

249145390-L.jpg

249791467-L.jpg
249146604-L.jpg
Derawar Mosque which is 100 years old and is built with white marble stone. The Derawar mosque of marble is a thing of beauty, an exact replica of the Moti Masjid of the Red Fort of Delhi.
249148006-L.jpg

249149843-L.jpg

249151179-L.jpg

249150627-L.jpg

249152576-L.jpg

249153161-L.jpg

View of fort from Mosque

249135624-L.jpg
And someone told me there is no way to go back accept next day thanks to one of the locals who agreed to drop me to nearest bus stop with some mild chance of bus that was 20km away. When i reached that stop that was a small village with crops and greenery and met these guys.
249904796-L.jpg

249154813-L.jpg

249155711-L.jpg

249793097-L.jpg

249793749-L.jpg
The above guy gave his turban to my guide who i met in Bahawalpur who was my guide at time and he was the one who knew the local language

249911513-L.jpg

Well i got the van but i had to sit on roof of driver's seat where they had luggage there was no other van coming and people were hanging all over the van. All images were shot from roof top :D

249791756-L.jpg

249905173-L.jpg

249794799-L.jpg

249792160-L.jpg

249795563-L.jpg
And reached the small town from where i caught van for Bahawalpur .

249792462-L.jpg

Complete Gallery and large size
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Ho ho Awais !!!
    Great work thumb.gif
    Looks as movie on Discovery Channel, not just simple pics.
    Congrats
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    z_28 wrote:
    Ho ho Awais !!!
    Great work thumb.gif
    Looks as movie on Discovery Channel, not just simple pics.
    Congrats

Thanks i am glad you enjoyed them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Great Series Awais! You were on a fantastic adventure. Thanks for sharing your travels.
    Angela
  • Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Thank you Awais - I love your photography - very interesting
    Lesley
    edited February 3, 2008

My Gallery
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Great series. Some really unique perspectives - wonderful unique places. Wish I was there with you!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Awais....your photos speak :D

The Forts are so different. Can you get in them? Those really peaked my interest.

Riding on top of the bus.....it was an opportunity for you...those shots from a different vantage point are good.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    History at its best. A shame that buildings like that would vanish. I hope they will restore them. Great shots. Wonderful place and wonderfully snapped
    edited February 3, 2008
    :D Thanks all

My Gallery
  • SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    That fort is very impressive. It looks vast, especially in the b/w shot.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Awais, you've done it again clap.gif

I loved your story: the crazy things you do, the way you interact with the locals, Smuggy showing himself in random places, and bringing back such unique photos.

Thank you for going, and sharing them with us here! As z_2 said, much more real and personal than anything we could see on TV here. thumb.gifthumb
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

my 2 favs, thanks for showing!

249790541-L.jpg

249139857-L.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thanks i am glad you enjoyed it my Last stop for few hours was City of Saints Multan but i got only few photos

My Gallery
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Awais I feel these are some of the best of yours I have seen. They are simply amazing, colorful, sharp, and meaningful. The first of the Castle is my favorite it really shows its power. Thank you for the great great series. clap.gif
  • GunGun Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2008
    Great pictures, I dont even know of this place before.
    That fort is just like a really big sand castle made with just a simple bucket.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Amazing work, Awais! clap.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Great series. You even took pictures while riding on the roof of the van.bowdown.gif Try a stunt like that here and we'd all end up in jail for sure.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    This is my favorite of all the photos that you have shown on Dgrin:

249136365-L.jpg

I must see these places. Can an American get into Quetta and beyond without getting in trouble? Once my wife starts working in Europe I will have 5 weeks of vacation. Hmm....
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited February 5, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I must see these places. Can an American get into Quetta and beyond without getting in trouble? Once my wife starts working in Europe I will have 5 weeks of vacation. Hmm....

Why Quetta ? I will won't recomend to go there not because you are american but because there are lots of potential of :gun2. I will recomand many other places not Quetta
    Darawar Fort, Lahore, Texila Ruins, Rohtas Fort,In North of Pakistan Nanga Perbat the Killer mountain, Passu, Rakaposhi, Katas Salt range and Many more Endless beauty of Kashmir !
    The real thing in Pakistan is Northren Mountain ranges where i also want to visit some day.
    And these places are extremely safe clap.gif.
    When ever you want to come let me know atleast you need a translator mwink.gif

My Gallery
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Be careful what you offer Awais, I just might take you up on it!:D
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Absolutely amazing! Terrific work thank you for sharing!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited February 7, 2008
    Everyone is always welcomed :D

My Gallery
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Very interesting forts. I don't recall seeing pics of those before.
    edited February 8, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Very interesting forts. I don't recall seeing pics of those before.

Thank you i myself went there for the 1st time. Not many people travel to this fort because of its location.

My Gallery
  • gregkendallballgregkendallball Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Awais, these are some incredible shots...I have enjoyed looking through them very much. Wish I could travel there one day!
    KendallBall.com

Canon 40D
    Canon 30D
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4
    Canon 580EX II
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Great shots and an amazing travel log. Like many here, I would really find that a fun, challanging trip. It is an extremely interesting part of the world, so different from what we live in day to day. I am amazed by the scenes, colors and richness of the land.

Awais: Please keep taking shots of your day to day travel, its facinating for me to see. I also agree with others postings here in that watching your photography over the years, you have really improved. That's great to see as well.

Someday, I am showing up on your doorstep and we'll explore together!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • exploderpilotexploderpilot Banned Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I think I remember reading in a wilfred thesiger book about that fort, was it the duru tribe that lived nearby?
    edited February 9, 2008
    Thanks Ken and Z i am glad you enjoyed watching them. And you are always welcomed i hope polititions leave their crap away to let people meet :D

My Gallery
    edited February 9, 2008
    I think I remember reading in a wilfred thesiger book about that fort, was it the duru tribe that lived nearby?

No never heard of the tribes headscratch.gif

My Gallery
  • exploderpilotexploderpilot Banned Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    It was in the book arabian sands. I'll have to read back through it and find it! Are you familiar with thesiger? He was actually an accomplished photog also. I see similarities in your portrait work with his.