Link sharing on Facebook - atypical behavior

NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
edited March 21, 2011 in Bug Reporting
So I want to start off by saying :thumb on the improved Facebook integration.

But I noticed something odd today.

If I post a link on my Facebook wall, it allows me to choose the thumbnail for the link and it shares fine on my wall.

However, if someone else on Facebook were to click on the "share" option on my Facebook wall, the new link that posts for them drops the thumbnail photos. This is not typical behavior.

Let me try to get some photos to explain:

Here is the link as shared on my wall:
sharedlink.jpg

Here is what it looks like when someone tries to share the same link on my wall (using the "share" button on my facebook wall):
friendshareslink.jpg

Here is the final result when they post the shared link on their wall:
friendshareslink2.jpg

Now here is what shared links typically look like:
friendshareslinktypical.jpg

Side by side of typical link vs. SmugMug link using same "share" button on a user's Facebook wall:
friendshareslinktypical.jpg

Comments

• NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Just to clear any confusion in advance, I use a link modifier so the link seems different in the photos. (It appears to not be a SmugMug link)

However, it links to the SmugMug link.

I tried the same thing with a direct SmugMug link, and the behavior is exactly the same (no thumbnail on the share). I just didn't want to do the images over again. :D
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Doesn't seem SmugMug specific. Someone shared a Wikipedia link with a thumbnail:
    20110320134807-00749x0713248.jpg

and when I shared it to my wall, the thumbnail was removed as well:
    20110320134845-00751x4513248.jpg

This smells like some kind of Facebook limitation or bug.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 21, 2011
    I have been seeing this a lot on my non-smugmug facebook posts as Seb indicated. I do think that it is a FB limitation. We will take a look to see if there is anything we can do on our end.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Yeah, it seems to be a dead end trying to get any insight from facebook on how the share link works, but we're passing them all the right data so it seems to be either by design, or some limitation/bug on their part. Hopefully at some point they will make it more consistent.
    docwalker wrote: »
    I have been seeing this a lot on my non-smugmug facebook posts as Seb indicated. I do think that it is a FB limitation. We will take a look to see if there is anything we can do on our end.