Publish to Facebook - Beta 2. Now with Pages!

scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited September 13, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Next round!

We are ready to release the improved version of Publish to Facebook. We collected your feedback, took a hard look at the implementation and we are proud to show off the latest version of the feature.

The improvements:

1. Now you can publish to your pages as well as to your own profile

2. You can customize a text that goes along the links you post to Facebook

3. We allow you to upload XL size, which matches the maximum image size of Facebook

The feature will still be in Beta so you have to opt in. If you have opted in already this step is not needed.

1. Visit our Darkroom page here: http://www.smugmug.com/darkroom/

2. Click the green 'JOIN' button next to the Publish to Facebook section.

3. If you're on a custom domain you'll need to visit the /darkroom/ page on your custom URL, too.

4. Leave at any time by hitting the 'LEAVE' button and we'll remove the new features from your view.

Once you've joined, visit any of your galleries and hit the Share button. You should see a new "Publish to Facebook" option under the Owner Only options.

Click it, pick profile or a page to publish to, select or create album and choose the photos from your gallery that you want to share. Feel free to also customize the Image size, Caption and Link Style settings.

Hit Publish and we'll port them over to the album of your choice.

As always. Please report any problems back here.

Comments

• SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    Great to see these additions.

Just tried to use it today and had problems.

1. New album would not create.
    - Clicked create and nothing happened
    - Went to FB and created there
    2. Then tried to submit some to FB to the newly created albums
    - Waited 5-10 minutes and nothing is showing up on FB.

Is this a Smugmug problem or Facebook issue?

Update
    5 hours later and 0 published to one FB gallery and 9 out of 155 in another.

Thanks,
    Steve
    go.skactionpix.com
  • JoolsJools Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2011
    I also cannot create a new album, as above I clicked the 'create' button and nothing happens.

I just tried creating the album in Facebook and uploading to it and, same as for Steve above, nothing seems to have published to it as yet.
  • HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I'm having the same problem - Click create new album and nothing happens.

Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; AskTB5.6)
    Timestamp: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:44:36 UTC

Line: 863
    Char: 13
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.smugmug.com/services/publishto/facebook/?AlbumID=19570674&AlbumKey=DJrLJH&ImageID=1532908866&ImageKey=7VpLqsk&pageType=Album
  • bluemanblueman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2011
    I have the same problem
    www.bluesphotosonline.com

used the old plugin just fine

I have cleared out my cache, re-joined, etc.

Using OSX Lion and Safari.

I hit the "Create It" button for a new gallery and nothing happens.
  • bluemanblueman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2011
    This is only a probelm with create album.
    blueman wrote: »
    www.bluesphotosonline.com

used the old plugin just fine

I have cleared out my cache, re-joined, etc.

Using OSX Lion and Safari.

I hit the "Create It" button for a new gallery and nothing happens.

I tried this with an exisitng album and it works fine. I think the program has problems creating a new album.
  • MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    SPK64 wrote: »

Update

Thanks,
    Steve
    go.skactionpix.com

We have fixed the issue regarding album creation at Facebook. We are investigating the publishing speed issues at the moment.
  • neonneon Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    I'm searching for a method to show all of my pictures on facebook. I don't want to simple upload the pictures to fb. Because if I edit an image, I must reload it and if a user comment it, I also want to see the comment on my SmugMug site. Also if I add a new picture to my gallery, I want to see it automatically on fb. It is possible to do that, or need I use an other app? I do not find other apps, because there where deleted by fb :-/
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    We have fixed the issue regarding album creation at Facebook. We are investigating the publishing speed issues at the moment.

Glad you fixed that, got very excited when pages were added then very sad when I couldn't actually send anything to Facebook since I couldn't get through the prompts. I too am noticing the speed problem.
  • GroovyMooseGroovyMoose Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Help w/ Facebook login
    I joined both the smugmug.com/goodies as well as my groovymoosephotos.com/goodies but I keep getting a screen that says something on the order of: before we begin you must connect to fb to allow access to your albums and to publish photos. When I click the FB link nothing happens. I have tried logging in to FB through the smugmug entry page but still get the same screen when trying the publish to fb option. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it? Thanks!
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    So we fixed an issue that was preventing emails being sent out saying your gallery was published. So if you never received an email, and assumed it didn't publish, you may want to check the gallery on facebook as it looks like most of them published successfully...
    edited October 19, 2011
    When I look in the admin, I see most of your photos as having published. The 155 Photo one, looks like it published all photos in about 6 minutes. I think it may have been a case of the email not being sent out, but let me know if I'm wrong....
    SPK64 wrote: »

Update

Thanks,
    Steve
    go.skactionpix.com
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    All mine are uploaded :)
  • stlracingstlracing Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Same issue I have..
    I joined both the smugmug.com/goodies as well as my groovymoosephotos.com/goodies but I keep getting a screen that says something on the order of: before we begin you must connect to fb to allow access to your albums and to publish photos. When I click the FB link nothing happens. I have tried logging in to FB through the smugmug entry page but still get the same screen when trying the publish to fb option. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it? Thanks!
    edited October 19, 2011
    stlracing wrote: »
    Same issue I have..

Let me know if you figure it out and I'll do the same. Thanks, Chris www.groovymoosephoto.com
    edited October 20, 2011
    GroovyMoose, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with your FB login. So these are some common things that would prevent it from working:
    1) Your browser is set-up to not accept 3rd party cookies. Can you check this?
    2) Do you have some sort of pop-up blocker installed?
    3) Is there any chance the window is opening up but being hidden somewhere behind another window?

Out of curiosity, what browser and operating system are you on?

We'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks for your response.

-Scott.

edited October 20, 2011
    scotticus wrote: »
    GroovyMoose, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with your FB login. So these are some common things that would prevent it from working:
    1) Your browser is set-up to not accept 3rd party cookies. Can you check this?
    2) Do you have some sort of pop-up blocker installed?
    3) Is there any chance the window is opening up but being hidden somewhere behind another window?

Out of curiosity, what browser and operating system are you on?

We'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks for your response.

-Scott.

Thanks Scott! I appreciate you guys looking into this.

1) I'm not sure where/how to check on the 3rd party cookies...
    2) I did try disabling the pop-up blocker but still had the issue.
    3) I don't think so. I'm running Windows 7 so can check what windows are open and don't see anything hidden.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional both at home and at work. I've tried using IE8, IE9, and Chrome as my browsers.

Extra info -
    My control panel>view your social accounts shows that my facebook account is listed as a 3rd party site. Also, when logged in to FB I do not have to type in my username and password to log into my smugmug/website account. FB shows that I am allowing smugmug to access my account (although my FB Page is no longer listed since I tried to remove and re-setup the smugmug connection). I did try deleting the smugmug app from FB and then trying the Publish to FB feature but the FB link to connect and grant access still does nothing. That might be the key - the button doesn't do anything anytime that I click it. It doesn't even look like it changes slightly when I click it.

Thanks again,

Chris

UPDATE
    I just set my security level to accept all cookies but still no luck. Not sure I like the idea of having to accept cookies from other sites. Is there a way to just allow them from smugmug?
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    I have followed the instructions and I have no advanced options when I click share, it just show the normal FB share. all I can share is the whole album.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    I have followed the instructions and I have no advanced options when I click share, it just show the normal FB share. all I can share is the whole album.

The Publish to Facebook button can be found in the "share" menu after you have signed up under /darkroom. Note that publishing is not yet available with the new gallery style. i-fMqzNXt-L.jpg
    edited October 21, 2011
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    The Publish to Facebook button can be found in the "share" menu after you have signed up under /darkroom. Note that publishing is not yet available with the new gallery style. i-fMqzNXt-L.jpg

Ok Thanks I found it, but it is not logging into facebook I click on the Facebook login button but it does nothing, I even opened another tab and logged into facebook but the button still does nothing
    Dennis
    Work in progress
    edited October 22, 2011
    Ok Thanks I found it, but it is not logging into facebook I click on the Facebook login button but it does nothing, I even opened another tab and logged into facebook but the button still does nothing

I think that several of us are having that problem. Scott said that he was looking into it so hopefully they will figure out the issue. If you happen to make any progress, please post what you did here. Thanks, Chris
    edited October 22, 2011
    I think that several of us are having that problem. Scott said that he was looking into it so hopefully they will figure out the issue. If you happen to make any progress, please post what you did here. Thanks, Chris
    OK I got mine to work I cleared all history and Cache then I went to
    http://www.smugmug.com/darkroom/
    http://Mywebsite/darkroom/

I then looked back into smugmug and went to a gallery clicked on owner share then publish to facebook.
    I then clicked on the FB login and another box opens asking me to login to fb and give permission. After that I get the rest of the pages(where to publish personal or Page) and pick photos.

so mine does now work I was able to create a new album and upload to an existing album.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • truviztruviz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2011
    OK I got mine to work I cleared all history and Cache then I went to
    http://www.smugmug.com/darkroom/
    http://Mywebsite/darkroom/

I then looked back into smugmug and went to a gallery clicked on owner share then publish to facebook.
    I then clicked on the FB login and another box opens asking me to login to fb and give permission. After that I get the rest of the pages(where to publish personal or Page) and pick photos.

so mine does now work I was able to create a new album and upload to an existing album.

Still no joy for me using these steps with safari and Mac Lion. I just get the blue "F"Login button which does nothing when I click on it.
  • PeacePeace Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    truviz wrote: »
    Still no joy for me using these steps with safari and Mac Lion. I just get the blue "F"Login button which does nothing when I click on it.

I get the same thing. Running Lion and Safari. I have my settings correct in the browser and still all i get is the picture below. Clicking the Facebook link - does nothing.
    Equipment Canon 60D | Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 | 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM| 100mm f/2.8 EF USM Macro |70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro| 430EX II
    Sam Fowler | Photography
  • JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2011

I got the same problem
  • chipjchipj Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Same here (clicking on facebook login button does nothing).

I've tried both Firefox 7.0.1 and IE8 on a WinXP Pro laptop. I made sure that I am accepting third party cookies and I've set my Pop-up windows settings to allow for pop-ups (normally it's off). In my Control Panel (for SmugMug), I've verified that my Facebook page is listed under Social Settings, and that Facebook has been added as a 3rd party site when clicking on the "View your Social Accounts" link alongside the Social Settings title in the control panel.

The one potential issue I noticed was that if I try to access the Facebook SmugMug app, I receive this message: "Sorry, the application you were using is experiencing a problem. Please try again later." It would seem odd if I was the only one getting this error, but that's what I'm seeing when I go to:
    http://apps.facebook.com/smugmug/

Peace wrote: »
    I get the same thing. Running Lion and Safari. I have my settings correct in the browser and still all i get is the picture below. Clicking the Facebook link - does nothing.
    edited October 23, 2011
    I am using Win7 and FF 7 I set FF to clear everything when FF closes, closed FF then opened FF up again and unchecked clear everything when FF closes. I then just followed the steps listed above.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
    edited October 23, 2011
    dbveto, that finally worked for me. Not sure what was so persistent (cache wise), but clearing everything did it. I have to say that this is not currently a very user friendly application, and hopefully they (SmugMug Dev Team) can clean this up a bit so that users do not have to completely wipeout all of their history, etc., in order to use this tool.

I am using Win7 and FF 7 I set FF to clear everything when FF closes, closed FF then opened FF up again and unchecked clear everything when FF closes. I then just followed the steps listed above.
  • jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Seems to be slightly broken in IE9. It displays the screen that Peace attached a screenshot of, minus the Login button (I'm already logged in and the accounts are linked). Switching to compat mode allows me to choose between a personal album and a FB page.
    edited October 24, 2011
    How Do I Display a Tab on my FB Page?
    Is there any way to create a tab for my images on a FB Page? The only tabs visible on my page is "Wall", "Info" and "Friend Activity".

Ideally I'd like to have a tab for "Photo Gallery" or "Gallery", or something along those lines. How do I add this to a FB Page?
    scotticus wrote: »
    We are ready to release the improved version of Publish to Facebook. We collected your feedback, took a hard look at the implementation and we are proud to show off the latest version of the feature.
  • truviztruviz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2011
    truviz wrote: »

Ding! Ding! Ding! I finally found a combination that works. It seems that when logging into smugmug, having the login linked to facebook account option was throwing things off. These steps worked for me:

1) in smugmug social account, remove facebook app

2) in facebook, remove smugmug app

3) close all safari windows, empty cache, restart safari

4) relogin to smug mug BUT DO NOT USE THE LINK TO FACEBOOK ACCOUNT OPTION

5) go to a photo in album, choose publish to facebook. little blue facebook button appears, but this time it actually works and brings up an authentication screen.

New system seems good, looking forward to experimenting with it!