Golden microlandscape

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
edited November 30, 2014 in Holy Macro
Last December these club fungi (I use the term "club" loosely) were growing downwards from the bottom of a rotten log. The smallest ones were just a few mm long. I am treating these as image material, rather than as fungi, perhaps even creatively. So I have inverted them.

E-P2, Kiron 105mm 1:1 macro, f16 ISO 250, manual flash* through DIY soft box, hand-held. Unlike most of my flash images using the soft box, this was with the flash and soft box on an L bracket, to give light from slightly to the left.

* With the EP-2, I was then using, and continue to use, OM film T-series, with T32 as main one when using twin flash (T20 as fill). Mostly, this was based on calibrations related to lens, extension/magnification and f stop.

Harold

895753.jpg

Comments

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    I believe this fungus may be the Small Stagshorn Calocera cornea..

Here is another image from the same colony.

Harold

895754.jpg
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2014
    Interesting fungus- good captures!
    Brian v.
    edited November 25, 2014
    Thanks, Brian.

Apparently, it is quite common and a recent foray found quite extensive colonies, this time emerging laterally, on rotting, fallen tree trunks in a local wood. Unfortunately, the guides don't show such detail. Hopefully, this colony will soon be available to me again, this time with EM-1 and RC TTL flash.

Harold
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 27, 2014
    interesting fungi , in the second image what are the tiny globular looking ones ?
    edited November 28, 2014
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    interesting fungi , in the second image what are the tiny globular looking ones ?

Phil,

I am not sure. I think they are too small to be a stage of the same species. They are either fungi or a slime mould. I get plenty of both in my garden.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice them at the time. (As I recall, I was struggling with insecure off-camera flash support, no room for a tripod). A closer look, i.e. higher magnification, might have revealed their identity but I suspect that at least one further visit would have been necessary e.g. to see resistant stages if a slime mould.

The log has lots of (at least) fungal activity on it now and is under observation.

Harold
    edited November 30, 2014
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Phil,

I am not sure. I think they are too small to be a stage of the same species. They are either fungi or a slime mould. I get plenty of both in my garden.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice them at the time. (As I recall, I was struggling with insecure off-camera flash support, no room for a tripod). A closer look, i.e. higher magnification, might have revealed their identity but I suspect that at least one further visit would have been necessary e.g. to see resistant stages if a slime mould.

The log has lots of (at least) fungal activity on it now and is under observation.

I went to have another look at the log today and found nothing to photograph. However, on the way back, I noticed, on a nearby log, what looked like the same yellowish species and, separately, some of the globular type but larger than previously. The latter look like a Myxomycete and I got some decent shots at higher magnification (FOV 10mm wide). This time I used the Printing Nikkor 105mm on extension.

I can't do anything much with these at present but will keep an eye on developments and post relevant images in due course.

Harold