Options

The Holy Grail? Tazzetta cupularis

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited November 22, 2014 in Holy Macro
One day in October last year, I had just returned from a shoot at the local cemetery (no foul play involved! :D) when my wife said she had something to show me down the garden.

Just where I walk on my daily search for insects to photograph, so it had a lucky escape, was this cup fungus. The cup was about 20mm a diameter. Some of the images show the shadows of blades of grass, confirming the scale.

This one looks like I tried some creative lighting effect but that was natural.

Kiron 105mm macro, ISO 400 ca 1/40 f11, had-held, mostly in sunlight, hand-held.

There was no sunshine the following morning, and apparently no prospect of any. So I went out to try to create a similar effect with flash. There would be limits to how similar results could be. The sun is a point light source, whereas my flash is huge, compared to the subject. Anyway I used an extension cord from the hot shoe, with the flash aimed +/- horizontally, from below knee level while framing the cup from above. I got lots of burned out highlights in the cup but had as good as I felt I could get. The (undulating) rim of the cup is also more entirely in sharp focus than the sunlit image.

This time (second image) I use ISO 100 and f11, manual flash, hand-held.

Of yes, as I packed up and walked away from the location the sun came out and stayed out most of the morning!

The image was darkened considerably in PS and I increased the contrast.

The third image is from the first session, giving a more conventional image, from the side.

NB Tazzetta is Tarzetta in some books.

Harold

877775.jpg

878157.jpg

877773.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2014
    Like #2! Flash still tad hard...
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Like #2! Flash still tad hard...

Thanks. That was deliberate. This image is not meant to be naturalistic, but to reproduce the particular effect. Processing took it further in that direction.

Harold
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2014
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Thanks. That was deliberate. This image is not meant to be naturalistic, but to reproduce the particular effect. Processing took it further in that direction.

Harold

Understood when I saw it. However, maybe same affect can be achieved without blown out hot spots on top left on second image, like the first one? Good one nonetheless.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Understood when I saw it. However, maybe same affect can be achieved without blown out hot spots on top left on second image, like the first one? Good one nonetheless.

Fair point but I like the hints of white heat. In other words, I prefer the flash one over the sunlit one. Having set out to match natural light, I produced something with flash which pleased me more than the original. It was only something of the moment and that is probably a dead end. I wouldn't claim to be at all creative but sometimes I follow up chance results with images, just to see where it leads.

Harold
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2014
    Interesting fungus- prefer #3- must be a WC for pixies
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    Interesting fungus- prefer #3- must be a WC for pixies
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian. That is the one shot to be representative i.e. naturalistic. The others look a bit flushed! :D

Harold
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 22, 2014
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2014
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    Interesting experiment Harold. Prefer last one :D

Thanks, Phil. To me it looks sugar-coated.

Harold