Air Travel considerations

StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited March 28, 2006 in The Big Picture
it's been a while since I flew, and haven't taken my dSLR equip on a plane at all. Way back when we used to have to be careful with film.

Are there any considerations we need to be aware of these days... dSLR equipment, memory etc. vs. the airport scanning equipment, TSA rules, etc?

Comments

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    it's been a while since I flew, and haven't taken my dSLR equip on a plane at all. Way back when we used to have to be careful with film.

Are there any considerations we need to be aware of these days... dSLR equipment, memory etc. vs. the airport scanning equipment, TSA rules, etc?
    Steven the TSA has a great website with plenty of details on this as should your airline. Stuff changes all the time so the best way to research it is check out your airlines website then they should have links to the TSA site as well. Basic rule of thumb is just treat your digicam like a laptop. Carry on only, it can go through their machines, etc. Just don't let it out of your site (unless you are just watching it go into and out of the xray machine (they won't let you crawl in there too :uhoh)).
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 28, 2006
    I've been through several airports, US and EU, with my shoulder bag full of dslr equipment, ipod, and laptop. Not a problem. Laptop has to come out, they don't worry about the rest, just view it in the xray.

Remember, dslr's aren't exactly exclusive to photographers, I'm sure the TSA crews see quite a few (thousand) a day!
    lol3.gif

But, if you purely mean is the equipment safe under the xray, yes, it is.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I took a digi-photo class last year and the instructor said to make sure you never go through the personal scanner w/ a CF card (others?) in your pocket - that the arch-type scanners you walk through can erase and otherwise mess up your card. Leave it w/ your camera going through the x-ray machine.

on a related note, I once lost a CF card at a large running event when I apparently walked too close to a large, active speaker (speakers have magnets, large speakers have much larger magnets) for their entertainment stageumph.gif Just things to be aware of.

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I just put everything in my backpack and it goes through fine.

Tripod are allowed on the plane but Monopods are not. Don't mention that you can take apart a gitzo in 5 minutes.

I'm not sure how a magnetic field would erase compact flash since they are non volitile memory and not magnetic media like tape.

I put all of the cards on top of my PC when im downloading and i would guess if a speaker could erase a card a 480 watt power supply could do the same thing.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    No worries, just do it deal.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif with the others, too.
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No worries, just do it deal.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif with the others, too.

Looks like Andy got his Nike Endorsement :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I've been through several airports, EU, Asia, Africa, New Zealand, with my shoulder bag with dslr equipment and not a problem.
    Keep cool. Everything will be allright.thumb.gif
    Nice travel.thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    thanks guys. I know I'll just be one of thousands, but like I said it's been a while and just wanted to make sure. I'll be "gone" all next week, will hopefully come back refreshed, tan and with lots of good sailing pictures.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    thanks guys. I know I'll just be one of thousands, but like I said it's been a while and just wanted to make sure. I'll be "gone" all next week, will hopefully come back refreshed, tan and with lots of good sailing pictures.
    Let's see them ...thumb.gif Nice travel !:):
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook