State Park - Las Vegas (5 images)

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited January 30, 2006 in Landscapes
I visited a friend in Las Vegas last weekend. We visited a couple of state parks. The afternoon light was wonderful around the lakes at Floyd Lamb State Park. Comments and critique welcome.
I couldn't resist the "S" curved road.
53773931-L.jpg

The light seems very cold here, but it was pretty much like that - very cold. There were plenty of fishermen though.
53811536-L.jpg

There were four small lakes, with lots of ducks and geese.
53773817-L.jpg

54006329-L.jpg

A whole flock of these guys crossed my path. I don't know if the gausian blurred background is good or if I should have left it alone. I don't know what happened to the long tail feathers on this guy. There were several like that. Maybe they lose their tail feathers? I did get a shot of one flying up to a roof. I didn't want to post too many.
53811211-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Hey Snappy. There are about 70 or so peacocks at a local Buddha temple down the street from my house and I have noticed that evey year they lose thier tail feathers. I'm guessing that it has something to do with their mating patterns, as they always seem to have a full set druing mating seaon. When they are on display and struting their stuff during this time they are absolutley beautiful.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Hey Snappy. There are about 70 or so peacocks at a local Buddha temple down the street from my house and I have noticed that evey year they lose thier tail feathers. I'm guessing that it has something to do with their mating patterns, as they always seem to have a full set druing mating seaon. When they are on display and struting their stuff during this time they are absolutley beautiful.

Eric

There are a few peacocks at the San Diego zoo that still have long tail feathers. When is the mating season? Spring? I have not been able to snag a shot of one of them with the tail feathers spread. I'll have to keep visiting through springtime to see if I can catch them looking their best.
    edited January 28, 2006
    It usually starts in early spring and ends about the same time as summer, so april till late august. This is a pic I got last year with my old p&s:

345%3B6%3B%3B%3B4%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3247%3E5%3B%3A%3E286%3EWSNRCG%3D32328963458%3B7nu0mrj

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

edited January 28, 2006
    An one for when he heard I posted on Dgrin345%3B6%3B%3B%3B4%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3A54345%3B5ot1lsi

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Eric

edited January 28, 2006
    Hey, those are both cool shots. Thanks for the post. I'm going to try to get one of those peacocks.

I'm going to post a few of my ducks and geese on the other forum.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    i like the feel and warmness of #4 thumb.gif

nice shadows too

great shots.clap.gif

Daniel
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited January 29, 2006
    Thanks Daniel. When I saw those shadows through the lens, I actually got excited. I wished I had my tripod with me on this trip so I could be sure to get it all in focus. There were no ducks or moving subjects in this one, so I was lucky. I think I tend to have shakey hands. :D
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    53811536-S.jpg

the light colours and strong blues work so well...was it like that?? :D