Options

Spread Eagles

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited February 17, 2015 in Sports
Spreads were the order of the day in this mogul competiton

1 - my 9yo baby took 3rd out of 9 girls in the U-11 age group!
7D2_0949-X3.jpg

7D2_1396-X3.jpg

7D2_1411-X3.jpg

7D2_1517-X3.jpg

I was very pleased with how the 7D2 performed. AF nailed almost every shot, and 10fps helped get the decisive moments. Brought home over 200 keepers.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2015
    Great shots and detail. They made me smile. :D Your "baby" did a great job as well. I like the last one best because of the ski pants - the colors pop in that one.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2015
    Thanks Jo. :D
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 16, 2015
    Great shots and congrats to you and your girl. I see you shot these at f/4, and not f/2.8 which I've seen you use successfully in the past. Did you try any at f/2.8?
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Great shots and congrats to you and your girl. I see you shot these at f/4, and not f/2.8 which I've seen you use successfully in the past. Did you try any at f/2.8?

Thanks kdog. I don't think I did. I feel like with skiing I've been burned by f/2.8 where the camera will focus on a ski or pole or hand that is closest to the camera, and then the head is out of focus. But, that was on FF, and I pixel peep. I should probably try f/2.8 again with my 7D2.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited February 5, 2015
    Tried f/2.8 last weekend, it worked well.

7D2_4439-X2.jpg

7D2_4654-X2.jpg

7D2_4755-X2.jpg

7D2_4524-X2.jpg

7D2_4514-X2.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    Oh yeah, those look great! clap.gif

Much prefer the separation of these to the previous set, which still were excellent. These are just better.

Do the athletes buy these from you?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2015
    F no. I mean, they're for sale, but only two or three people will actually place orders. I do it more for fun and goodwill, and to get pics of my kids and my friends' kids. I run a slideshow in the competition center after the event and everyone loves it and gushes over it, but that's as far as it goes.

As for the separation, the bg is also further away in this set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jack

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    Great set of action shots. That, and good exposures without the bibs and snow being blown out (except for #3 :D)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2015
    Thanks David. Yeah, the skiers were mostly back-lit, so I had to overexpose.
    -Jack

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2015
    I really like these shots. The colors really pop. Have to say I agree with kdog. The f/2.8 shots are better. Congrats to your daughter.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2015
    Yeah, the skiers were mostly back-lit, so I had to overexpose.

Nicely done! I was just shot some LAX with some snow in the background and just that was enough to cause me all sorts of issues. You had some sun sneaking through too--and the colors and everything came out great. thumb.gif
    Regards

Will
    edited February 17, 2015
    Thanks guys. I was lucky that the light was consistent so I could use manual exposure. I think that's the best way to ensure all the shots come out right.
    -Jack