it's a jeep thing....do you understand?

Comments

• asp87asp87 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Yeah, I think I get it. Here's my [re]build thread. It's just getting underway. I'll be running about 5" of lift (custom fabbed long arms fr and rear) on 37" tires with 4.88 gears in a pair of dana 44's, a doubler, detroit front, spool rear, chop-top, cage, and a bunch of other goodies. For those that don't click the link, it's a cherokee, not a wrangler. I could bore you with all the details, but it's safe to say it should be able to over a lot of stuff.
    Anthony
    Nikon D60, 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6, 35mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VRII f/4.5-5.6, Panagor 90mm f/2.8 1:1, SB-600, 68mm Kenko extension tubes
    Flickr
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    asp87 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I get it. Here's my [re]build thread. It's just getting underway. I'll be running about 5" of lift (custom fabbed long arms fr and rear) on 37" tires with 4.88 gears in a pair of dana 44's, a doubler, detroit front, spool rear, chop-top, cage, and a bunch of other goodies. For those that don't click the link, it's a cherokee, not a wrangler. I could bore you with all the details, but it's safe to say it should be able to over a lot of stuff.

Wow you gutted that thing good! Good luck on finishing the buildthumb.gif Look forward to the finished product as i'm sure you are haha. They grow up so fast:D
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 12, 2010
    Yeah, I think I get it. Here's my [re]build thread.
    Holy crap! Fab much? Looks like you cut your car clean in half! eek7.gif

"Completion date: 2014"? rolleyes1.gif

Hats off to ya, man. bowdown.gif
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    We've had heaps of rain over here and it stopped just enough to get there and we had a jeep along... with it still overcast it was a good op to try out my new nifty fifty

1041124432_r9QF2-M.jpg

1041124573_WkhDn-XL.jpg

1041126366_J8So2-M.jpg

1041127515_YHkPm-M.jpg

...oh, and one of mine - poser

1041125316_qECYa-M.jpg
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

edited October 13, 2010
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Wow you gutted that thing good! Good luck on finishing the buildthumb.gif Look forward to the finished product as i'm sure you are haha. They grow up so fast:D
    Thanks! You have no idea how badly I want to see this thing done. :cry
    kdog wrote: »
    Holy crap! Fab much? Looks like you cut your car clean in half! eek7.gif

"Completion date: 2014"? rolleyes1.gif

Hats off to ya, man. bowdown.gif
    Yeah, fabrication is fun. Gotta stay busy in the winter somehow. thumb.gif

That was one of my buddies giving me crap about it never being done/taking forever rolleyes1.gifHe's got his own build going right now too.
    Anthony
    Nikon D60, 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6, 35mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VRII f/4.5-5.6, Panagor 90mm f/2.8 1:1, SB-600, 68mm Kenko extension tubes
    Flickr
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    It's good to see more wheelers showing up in here! thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited October 14, 2010
    Thanks! You have no idea how badly I want to see this thing done. :cry

Probably as much as my husband wanted to see ours done: http://sexy6chick.smugmug.com/Trucks/Solid-Axle-Swap/13644639_zaCWs#995872883_N5Aex
    ~*Natalie*~

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    This is about as rough as my old jeep sees these days.... yeah, it's had a tough life.

M38A1_etala.JPG
  • WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    It's not a Jeep but it fits the theme-my 1964 Land Rover IIa
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 15, 2010
    eMOJO wrote: »
    1041125316_qECYa-Ti.jpg

My people! Nice Taco!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 16, 2010
    Well, took the truck out on it's first real test run after the new setup...and it broke :(. The H yoke literally shattered into pieces, rotated an axle shaft (don't ask me how). Front leafs are screwed up because the axle rotated down. We'll fix the axle and driveshaft shortly so we can be on the trails again..3-link is in the making near the beginning of next year.
    ~*Natalie*~

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
    edited October 17, 2010
    Well, took the truck out on it's first real test run after the new setup...and it broke :(. The H yoke literally shattered into pieces, rotated an axle shaft (don't ask me how). Front leafs are screwed up because the axle rotated down. We'll fix the axle and driveshaft shortly so we can be on the trails again..3-link is in the making near the beginning of next year.
    No pics, didn't happen. :nah

Although if it did, my condolences. Major suckage.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 17, 2010

No kidding. Major suckage.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010

The pains that often accompany the pleasures of wheeling....seems you can't have one without the other.

I spent the day wrenching on my YJ yesterday....so much "fun". :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited October 19, 2010
    No pics, didn't happen. :nah

I have video :p I just got done uploading a ton of pictures from the trip should be posting those later today. If your sound is on you will hear the damage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyCaguxX2PQ
    ~*Natalie*~

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 19, 2010
    A friend of mines, very well used, Land Cruiser

501650546_NNQPz-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 19, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    A friend of mines, very well used, Land Cruiser
    Wow. That's amazing. Does it run? I think that right front tire might need air. :giggle
    edited October 19, 2010
    I have video :p I just got done uploading a ton of pictures from the trip should be posting those later today. If your sound is on you will hear the damage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyCaguxX2PQ
    OH my gosh! :wow Note to self -- NEVER go rock crawling with you guys. That's insane! eek7.gif

"What was that?" Pretty prophetic. rolleyes1.gif So how'd you get it out of there? Winch?

I don't mean to laugh, btw. No guts no glory, as they say. And you guys got guts! nod.gif
    edited October 19, 2010
    OH my gosh! :wow Note to self -- NEVER go rock crawling with you guys. That's insane! eek7.gif

"What was that?" Pretty prophetic. rolleyes1.gif So how'd you get it out of there? Winch?

I don't mean to laugh, btw. No guts no glory, as they say. And you guys got guts! nod.gif

Yep, we got winched out of that spot and then we were 2wd after that because we had to take the driveshaft out. My husband drove what he could and if there were some spots he had trouble with he would get pulled. We still had about 1/4 of the trail to go before we were back at the trailhead.
    ~*Natalie*~

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
    edited October 20, 2010

Are you kidding? That trail looks awesome!

Up here in the New England we end up using a lot more of the skinny pedal. Lots of stuff gets broken.
    Anthony
    Flickr
    edited October 20, 2010
    Are you kidding? That trail looks awesome!

Up here in the New England we end up using a lot more of the skinny pedal. Lots of stuff gets broken.
    Where do you find terrain like this in New England? I grew up there, and can't recall anything like this. Plus it's very restrictive back there as far as where you can wheel. Out here in AZ, it's all BLM and state land and fair game for wheeling almost anywhere right out your door. Anyway, post some pics and let's see what ya got! deal.gif
  • WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Neat picture Pathfinder- not to be OCD but that is a Land Rover. It's a Series IIa like mine and about the same age. To bad it's rotting away, I can see the frame and bulkhead are swiss cheese but the rest of it is aluminum so it could be swapped onto a new frame and bulkhead-both of which are still available. Here's another picture of mine at a catalog shoot.
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses
    edited October 20, 2010
    I stand corrected, it is, indeed, a Land Rover, not a Land Cruiser - I knew that!!

The engine and the transmission have long departed this mortal globe, and all that remains are what you see on the outside.

Yours looks like it has had much more affection and care over the years.

I have had my eye out for a used FJ recently. I may get lucky, or not.

• tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    I mostly do trail and himalaya driving on my vehicle.
    Its a part time 4WD, with LSD in rear diff. GC is around 210mm, and articulation is not too good.
    She runs Continental Cross Contact AT tires, and they have a good tread pattern.

At the Kyun Tso Lake approx 5100m Above MSL

907564208_HBxpy-XL.jpg

In spiti, 4200m Above MSL
    996896065_2u4zU-XL.jpg

On the banks of Pangong Tso around 4100m above MSL. The vehicle you see far away was a 2WD tourist vehicle which got hopelessly stuck. We had to tow them out
    905322033_q2GKS-XL.jpg

This was in the desert state of Jaisalmer India
    756355413_b8wFX-XL.jpg

The high altitude lake of Tso moriri around 4400m above MSL
    658754676_mrZUL-XL.jpg

Marisimik La, the highest pass you can reach by road in India(some claim highest in the world)
    Altitude? 5610m as shown by GPS, though some sources claim it to be higher. Around 18500feet above sea level
    you may be wondering why the Bonnet is open?
    The story is interesting.
    The last 1km to the pass is very steep gradient, and I had to shift to 4WD Low ratio, as lack of air meant lower power, and rocks meant I could not maintain enough speed to be in the powerband of the turbo diesel(1700rpm) approx.
    So slowly with rpm around 2500 we kept climbing, and after a few minutes I see the service light blinking. At the same moment, the engine lost power, and went into limp home(1200rpm restriction).
    I get out and open bonnet, and see coolant boiling in the overflow tank. She has 2 big fans and they were roaring away to glory. At this high altitude air is so thin that the cooling system cannot cool the engine properly. In modern CRDI engine, even if engine temp goes slightly above the optimum level, the ECU sends engine into limp home. This is what happened here.
    So we cooled for 10 minutes, went to the top, and again cooled of for 10 minutes. But air was so thin I did not have the energy to walk around and explore. Every breath was like a wheeze. After that it was a hurried trip down to lower altitudes. Fortunately, we had spend the last few days at altitudes above 3300m, so we could acclimitize easily
    651964036_GHKWu-XL.jpg
    edited October 21, 2010
    Where do you find terrain like this in New England? I grew up there, and can't recall anything like this. Plus it's very restrictive back there as far as where you can wheel. Out here in AZ, it's all BLM and state land and fair game for wheeling almost anywhere right out your door. Anyway, post some pics and let's see what ya got! deal.gif
    Well, not terrain like that per se. But your husband was crawling over that stuff. Most of the stuff out here is either wet or just requires tire spin. There's hardly ever grippy dry rock.

Here's some stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkRAAtzXxI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-b-Tr_cKmc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZiYETJFiw
    In the last one, Chris (the red chopped xj) was totally stuck. I was going up to winch him out.

Oh yeah, I sold my dana 44's.... I'm going to CUCV axles (chevy dana 60 front with king pins and a 14 bolt with detroit rear - already geared to 4.56) Reason for the change: I want to run 38's-40's (reliably)

tsk1979- That's awesome. It looks beautiful out there. I have a feeling if I were in a place like that I'd be more interested in expedition wheeling than rock crawling.
    Anthony
    Flickr
    edited October 21, 2010
    Well, not terrain like that per se. But your husband was crawling over that stuff. Most of the stuff out here is either wet or just requires tire spin. There's hardly ever grippy dry rock.
    My Husband? eek7.gif This is me, and I ain't gay. :giggle

960046185_Ws9Mr-L.jpg
    Here's some stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkRAAtzXxI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-b-Tr_cKmc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZiYETJFiw
    In the last one, Chris (the red chopped xj) was totally stuck. I was going up to winch him out.

Oh yeah, I sold my dana 44's.... I'm going to CUCV axles (chevy dana 60 front with king pins and a 14 bolt with detroit rear - already geared to 4.56) Reason for the change: I want to run 38's-40's (reliably)
    Ha, those vids are a hoot. Yeah, that's some impressive boulder scrambling there. No question about it.
    edited October 21, 2010

(pic removed to conserve space)

Ha, those vids are a hoot. Yeah, that's some impressive boulder scrambling there. No question about it.

headscratch.gif I think I thought I was responding to a post by 'sexy6chick' ne_nau.gif My mistake...

Thanks. It's fun. Looking through old footage makes me want to get wheeling again.
    Anthony
    Flickr
    edited October 21, 2010

960046185_Ws9Mr-L.jpg

Did you drive through that area behind you, Joel?rolleyes1.gif

edited October 21, 2010

960046185_Ws9Mr-L.jpg

That looks like Moab to me!clap.gif
    ~*Natalie*~

Olympus E-500