Options

New X4 & X5 display sizes

2»

Comments

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I don't even need the X4 and X5 sizes. For many of my pictures even the X3 size isn't being generated.
    I'm stuck looking at the small X2 sizes in the slideshow on my 1920 x 1080 monitor.
    All my pictures are resized to a standard height of 1080 before uploading as described here...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238148

Please fix this.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I don't even need the X4 and X5 sizes. For many of my pictures even the X3 size isn't being generated.
    I'm stuck looking at the small X2 sizes in the slideshow on my 1920 x 1080 monitor.
    All my pictures are resized to a standard height of 1080 before uploading as described here...

Please fix this.
    What do you think needs fixing? Smugmug doesn't upscale your images so the max they will display is the largest standard size that can be made from what you uploaded without upscaling. So, because you're uploading a height of 1080px, the max standard size that fits in that is X2. If you want larger images in your slideshow, you will need to upload larger images. 1200x1600 or larger will get you the X3 size.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    What do you think needs fixing? Smugmug doesn't upscale your images so the max they will display is the largest standard size that can be made from what you uploaded without upscaling. So, because you're uploading a height of 1080px, the max standard size that fits in that is X2. If you want larger images in your slideshow, you will need to upload larger images. 1200x1600 or larger will get you the X3 size.

I see what is going on now and boy is it frustrating!
    I have been using smugmug for years and have always had nice full screen X3 sizes in the slideshow by making a standard height of 1080 pixels.
    I have many 1920 x 1080 pictures and they always displayed edge to edge on my 1920 x 1280 monitor. Now they display as a smaller X2 size.
    I put frames around many of my 3 x 2 aspect ratio pictures and make them with a height of 1080 pixels.
    This causes the aspect ratio to change and they end up 1593 x 1080. So now they only display at the X2 size.

I have almost 5000 pictures that were carefully designed to play with the slideshow at a full size.
    This is years of work and they always displayed properly as the original size. Now a change has been made and it is all ruined!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    I see what is going on now and boy is it frustrating!
    I have been using smugmug for years and have always had nice full screen X3 sizes in the slideshow by making a standard height of 1080 pixels.
    I have many 1920 x 1080 pictures and they always displayed edge to edge on my 1920 x 1280 monitor. Now they display as a smaller X2 size.
    I put frames around many of my 3 x 2 aspect ratio pictures and make them with a height of 1080 pixels.
    This causes the aspect ratio to change and they end up 1593 x 1080. So now they only display at the X2 size.

I have almost 5000 pictures that were carefully designed to play with the slideshow at a full size.
    This is years of work and they always displayed properly as the original size. Now a change has been made and it is all ruined!
    What change do you think has been made? I'm not following what you think the problem is.

Also, remember, every viewer arrives at your website with their own custom browser window size and that's the viewport that they see your site through, not what you see on your screen. So, it's a good idea to make sure your website looks good at a wide variety of browser window sizes (you can literally just change your own browser window size to see how it looks), but it's not worthwhile to try to optimize it for the exact size you see on your own screen.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    What change do you think has been made? I'm not following what you think the problem is.

Also, remember, every viewer arrives at your website with their own custom browser window size and that's the viewport that they see your site through, not what you see on your screen. So, it's a good idea to make sure your website looks good at a wide variety of browser window sizes (you can literally just change your own browser window size to see how it looks), but it's not worthwhile to try to optimize it for the exact size you see on your own screen.

The change is the slideshow no longer plays my original size that I very carefully picked so they wouldn't need to be resized.
    Again, the slideshow has worked for years playing every picture with a height of 1080 pixels just as I intended.
    Now the original size will no longer play on most pictures. When I think of all the work I did and what it would take to redo thousands of pictures it makes me want to scream.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    The change is the slideshow no longer plays my original size that I very carefully picked so they wouldn't need to be resized.
    Again, the slideshow has worked for years playing every picture with a height of 1080 pixels just as I intended.
    Now the original size will no longer play on most pictures. When I think of all the work I did and what it would take to redo thousands of pictures it makes me want to scream.
    FYI, it looks to me like your homepage slideshow is set for a max height of 800px. Are you sure you've configured the height to be large enough?

If you can describe a specific behavior difference between the previous Smugmug slideshow and the slideshow in the new Smugmug, then I'd suggest you file a bug describing that exact difference here where bugs are reported: http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54.

Before you converted your site to the new Smugmug design, were you using the built-in Smugmug slideshow or were you using one of the 3rd party slideshows? I know, for example, that the JFriend HTML5 slideshow allowed larger images than the Smugmug slideshow did so when describing the issue it's important to note whether you were previously using the SM slideshow or some other slideshow.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    We are having a major communications gap!

I'm talking about the Gallery Slideshow, not the Homepage Slideshow.
    The basic problem is smugmug has stopped using the Original size as one of the sizes when it generates a full screen slideshow. (or in lightbox)
    If you choose Fill as a size choice in lightbox it will not choose Original size either, even though it would fit in my case.

Cheers,
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Hi Baldy,

The introduction of X4 and X5 sounds good, but only really useful to me if we get links to them in Share > Get a Link > Photo Links. Will that happen too?
    Baldy wrote: »
    Hi Beardedgit,

Yes, we're planning to add them but the X4 & X5 sizes will beat the get a link UI to market.
    Was hoping that this x4 and x5 matter would be incorporated into the new SM, but no sign of it unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

:bash
    So, where are we on this?

I tell you, I'm getting brassed-off with this - I keep asking/bumping and I get nothing back.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013

The basic problem is smugmug has stopped using the Original size as one of the sizes when it generates a full screen slideshow. (or in lightbox)
    If you choose Fill as a size choice in lightbox it will not choose Original size either, even though it would fit in my case.

Cheers,
    Then file that specific bug in the bug reporting forum and be sure to mention that you're talking about the gallery slideshow.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Then file that specific bug in the bug reporting forum and be sure to mention that you're talking about the gallery slideshow.

Yes, I did some time ago.

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Yes, I did some time ago.

Thanks,
    Then, I would follow up with the help desk.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I tell you, I'm getting brassed-off with this - I keep asking/bumping and I get nothing back.

I'm sure they'll do it - but you just have to be patient.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013

Cheers,

Do you have Originals enabled in the source gallery?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll do it - but you just have to be patient.
    I don't intend any disrespect to you, Andy, and I thank you for your input, but I was hoping for a response from someone who actually knows what's going on and who could give an answer with some substance to it. Someone like the OP, perhaps?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Do you have Originals enabled in the source gallery?

Yes I do!

See this...

Thanks Andy,
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Final bump.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Final bump.

It'll come. Baldy wouldn't have posted the X4 and X5 thread in the first place, if they didn't intend to do it. What we all need is patience. There's no need to bump this thread, it won't make X4 X5 come out any faster :)
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Fair enough, I'll STFU.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    X-4 and X-5 needed alot of testing to be introduced correctly, so yes, it is still in the works.
  • Options
    dawvondawvon Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2014
    It's been a while since we heard an update... Just wondering if X-4 and X-5 (and maybe even X-6/7) display sizes are still in the cards? The larger display size will be really useful for the fullscreen homepage slideshow. And with the slew of affordable 4K/retina monitors, even X-5 will soon seem small...
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2014
    dawvon wrote: »
    It's been a while since we heard an update... Just wondering if X-4 and X-5 (and maybe even X-6/7) display sizes are still in the cards? The larger display size will be really useful for the fullscreen homepage slideshow. And with the slew of affordable 4K/retina monitors, even X-5 will soon seem small...

Waiting...
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2014
    Well... after i got my new 27" monitor i understand why some people were asking for X4/X5.... i just uploaded some 16:9 photos and with X3 they will show up as 1600x900 which leaves a black frame around the photo.

I would highly appreciate at least a HD display size for 1920x1080. This is a common display size these days.
    Looking forward to X4 :)