Uploading to smug through LR5

cogeroxcogerox Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited October 19, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Not sure this is the correct forum for this question, but I am having trouble uploading some of my photos directly from Lightroom 5 to my Smugmug site. The message I'm getting is: "Some export operations were not performed: Photo larger than 50 mb - (4)."

Is there any way to resize photos in the LR5 Library without first exporting them to a folder on the hard drive?

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 19, 2014
    I've moved your thread to SM Support where it should get more eyes on your question.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2014
    cogerox wrote: »
    Not sure this is the correct forum for this question, but I am having trouble uploading some of my photos directly from Lightroom 5 to my SmugMug site. The message I'm getting is: "Some export operations were not performed: Photo larger than 50 mb - (4)."

Is there any way to resize photos in the LR5 Library without first exporting them to a folder on the hard drive?

As far as I know, you can't resize photo files inside the LR5 library. That's sort of against the Lightroom philosophy of doing only non-destructive edits.

However, you can use the SmugMug plugin to do the same things the Export dialog does to modify an output file. What you send to SmugMug would then match what you would have exported and then re-imported, but without the intermediate steps. To do that on a PC, right click on SmugMug header bar under Publish Services over in the left sidebar panel group. One of the options is Edit Settings... This has essentially the same controls as the Export dialog. For JPEG, PSD, and TIFF uploads there are various controls for redefining image size as well as, for some of these, bit depth and compression. The other two file formats -- DNG and your camera's original -- are whatever size and resolution they are. You can't do anything with them. (And note I'm not a Mac person. A few of the details above may be different there, but the process should be close.)
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2014
    I concur with Jim

You didn't mention what format of file you are trying to place on your SM site, but I presume that it is RAW?

I put hi-res jpegs on my site and here's the workflow that I use (on Mac).

I firstly create the gallery that I want in SM.

Double click on the Smugmug plugin and select only "sync hierarchy". The newly created gallery will now appear in the plugin.

In the plugin settings I have JPG 100% selected (you can select from jpg, psd, tiff, dng, or original). If you were working a higher res than JPG, you would need to ensure that your resultant files do not exceed SM's limit of 50M. If they do, you would need to lower the screen size accordingly and/or possibly set a file limit to 50,000 K. You can also set other parameters, such as watermarks, metadata, etc).

On the image itself, I enter keywords, title and caption of the image.

In LR, I then select all the images that I want in that gallery and drag them into the new gallery in the plugin.

Then click "publish" on the plugin and your gallery will then upload. All your metadata will also be uploaded, including your title and caption if set to do so, as well as watermarks, etc.

The great thing about the plugin, is that if in time, you decide to reprocess an image, that newly process image will show up in the "modified images to publish" section of that gallery in the plugin. When you replublish, the image is automatically replaced on SM, retaining all your comments and metadata.

The other nifty thing that David has written into the code, is that if all you change is metadata (maybe you change the title of the image), the plugin intuitively knows that the image itself has not changed and it only updates the title, or whatever metadata you have modified, which saves a huge amount of time, not having to upload the image as well.

I hope that this helps?
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2014
    I concur with Jim

You didn't mention what format of file you are trying to place on your SM site, but I presume that it is RAW?

I put hi-res jpegs on my site and here's the workflow that I use (on Mac)...

...I hope that this helps?

I use SM plugin too on LR5 on my PC with sync'd hierarchy and it does work well. Very similar to your Mac workflow.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)