Options

What the point of watermarking when...

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited October 17, 2014 in SmugMug Support
... the preview photos on the right side of the screen on a smugmug gallery aren't watermarked? On a PC, I can hit ctrl-+, increase the size of my browser (which increases the size of the preview photos) then hit print-scrn and save a copy of the image that is plenty large enough to post on FB or instagram or anywhere else online. Only the absolute 100-percent honest clients are actually going to purchase a file they can get for free.

I am curious as to the SM reasoning behind not watermarking preview photos and only having the watermark show up when someone actually clicks the image?

i-kMvtCD6.jpg

petespringer.smugmug.com

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    You can actually change the size image that a watermark is applied to. Go into the gallery settings > business tab > branding > watermarks, then edit the watermark and you can adjust the smallest applicable size.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2014
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    You can actually change the size image that a watermark is applied to. Go into the gallery settings > business tab > branding > watermarks, then edit the watermark and you can adjust the smallest applicable size.

So I log-in, click my name, click homepage, click organize, click the subcategory, then click the gallery, then settings and after seven clicks of wasted time, there is no business tab (see screen grab obtained by following your steps). Perhaps you have another suggestion? i-QDd9Nsv.jpg

• Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 17, 2014
    Pete, sorry about that! Watermarks can be adjusted in account settings (not gallery settings) > business > branding > watermarks > manage. Select the watermark you want to edit, and click the wrench. Make sure you set the Smallest size to something small, e.g. Thumb or Small. After that change you need to re-apply the watermark in your galleries using the watermarking tool in the organizer: in Organize, select the gallery, select all photos, then click the wrench tool > watermarks, select "apply", select the watermark, and click "save". After you do that, all display copies from Small (or Thumb) up will be watermarked.

If you are still seeing larger display copies unwatermarked, give us a link to such a photo in your galleries, or, if you don't want to share on a public forum, email it to us at the help desk, and we will have a look.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2014
    That makes much more sense, Ana. I don't see the default "PROOF" watermark in the manage watermarks in account settings though? Not a huge deal - I can create one.

The manage watermarks is way better than the way old smugmug used to do it. One suggestion though - allow a user to upload their own "sample photo". That would make more sense than previewing the watermark on someone else's photo. Just an idea.