A trip to Whittier, Alaska

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Journeys
It's been a while since I took the camera out and took some shots. After the climbing road trip I just didn't have the same drive. Instead I had the drive to finish the rock climbing guidebook I had been working on. So now that it is just about finished and I am waiting for quotes I figure I should the camera out and knock some dust off of it.

Shasta and I took of down to Whittier, Alaska and decided to make a photo date out of it. I just got her a 20d for Christmas so she is trying it out and although I have not been able to coax her into an account on dgrin yet, shes doing great with her photo's.

We drove into the heart of town and decided to shoot some of the scenery. I thought this tower had an odd look to it...
478651859_WSNrc-L.jpg

Although many of the shops windows had open signs we began to think that they were not as they said. For instance, if I had wanted to kayak this day I think I would have been out of luck.
478671561_Xdb2a-L.jpg

Even the Hobo Bay trading co. is having rough times.
478669928_WFkpB-L.jpg

Not always the sign you would think of when you think "Tacos".
478668928_UiPVi-L.jpg

We dropped down into the Harbor, mainly because it is the focus of the town, where we were told "You don't get many days like this. Its a beautiful day."
478667803_6rwwJ-L.jpg

Some of the fishing ships were resting their engines.
478666843_F8nq3-L.jpg

Others seemed as though they had been around for quite some time. Rest had turned to sleep, a sleep that turned into years.
\478665913_kFaxF-L.jpg

The water was beautifully clear.
478664871_mhSFw-L.jpg

Many ships had their anchors drawn and their sails deflated. They ached for the touch of saltwater and the hint of breeze as the keel glided across the surface.
478664060_5r8MS-L.jpg

It can be lonely on the docks.
478662367_9VhPB-L.jpg

Sometimes it's only footprints that remain.
478661343_NmFu6-L.jpg

Or mussels on a long forgotten buoy.
478660274_NeHip-L.jpg

In time the ropes will move again, brushing through as drops of water rain down the side of the boat.
478659138_HTH7P-L.jpg

And they will sleep no more.
478658198_jrwRx-L.jpg

We crossed this portly fellow and had a difficult time discovering his handicap. I suppose it could be the lack of opposable thumb.
478657187_hFnY4-L.jpg

We began to think this town was strange and that was not eased by the discovery of several caribou. They certainly do not have a migratory path here in this mountain, oceanside town of Whittier.
478656337_qCgJJ-L.jpg

He seemed a bit confused to it as well.
478655484_3t5dZ-L.jpg

We looked deep into his eyes and saw ourselves. We are also strange animals who have been delivered to somewhere we did not begin.
478653830_QAqKG-L.jpg

We ended out photo trip with a view of Tradition, a large boat seemingly waiting for the tide much to high. Perhaps it tried to evolve and be the first fish to escape the sea.

478653040_UzJze-L.jpg

Thank you!

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    No pics... ne_nau.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    how about now?
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Now I see them. Good stuff. :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    So that's why you've been hiding, working on the guidebook. Love your humor and excellent story. There's also a Whittier in Calif., but it has a lot more people and no snow. It'd be interesting to see photos and stories of cities of the same name in different parts of the world.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • griffongriffon Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Nice series, you certainly have some nice terrain to make a day trip out of. Well written and I like the caribou pics.