Specifying gallery style for viewer

msim2020msim2020 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited March 7, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Is there an easy way to specify as to whether a gallery should be viewed in say, journal mode Vs elegant mode? Thanks!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    msim2020 wrote:
    Is there an easy way to specify as to whether a gallery should be viewed in say, journal mode Vs elegant mode? Thanks!

in your "customize gallery" you choose "force gallery style"

deal.gif
  • msim2020msim2020 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I don't seem to have that option! :(
    andy wrote:
    in your "customize gallery" you choose "force gallery style"

deal.gif
  • EnochEnoch Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    msim2020 wrote:
    I don't seem to have that option! :(
    In "customize gallery" go to "style" and change to your preference.
    edited March 7, 2005
    Thanks for the directions.

I do have a problem though -- I do not seem to have this option to specify style on the Customize gallery page. Might this be because of the type of account that I have? I have the regular account.

Thanks!
    Enoch wrote:
    In "customize gallery" go to "style" and change to your preference.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Yessir
    msim2020 wrote:

I do have a problem though -- I do not seem to have this option to specify style on the Customize gallery page. Might this be because of the type of account that I have? I have the regular account.

Thanks!
    you need to have more advanced subscription for that..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    msim2020 wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, it's a Power User account option (and, of course, Pros get it too).

The reason for this might not be immediately obvious, but what it comes down to is this:

Most people who are smugmug subscribers and are uploading photos have high-rez displays (1280x960+) and fast connections (Cable/DSL), so they like to pick the styles which are big and beautiful.

Turns out, though, that many of their viewers (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles) are using low-rez (800x600) displays and modem connections. They complain to us and to their friend that smugmug is terribly slow and the photos are so big they have to scroll their display.

So we decided early on to put the power in the hands of the viewer, since they know what sort of connection and graphics capabilities they have (and we can do some neat sniffing things to try to guess for them when they're relatively clueless).

Of course, some of our Power Users and Pros are very particular about their display, so we expose the control to them with the warning that it may cause anger from their friends and family. :)

Hope that helps!

Don
    edited March 7, 2005
    Thank you all!
    I have the answer to my question and a lot of context which helps!
    Cheers.
    onethumb wrote:
    Yes, it's a Power User account option (and, of course, Pros get it too).

The reason for this might not be immediately obvious, but what it comes down to is this:

Most people who are smugmug subscribers and are uploading photos have high-rez displays (1280x960+) and fast connections (Cable/DSL), so they like to pick the styles which are big and beautiful.

Turns out, though, that many of their viewers (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles) are using low-rez (800x600) displays and modem connections. They complain to us and to their friend that smugmug is terribly slow and the photos are so big they have to scroll their display.

So we decided early on to put the power in the hands of the viewer, since they know what sort of connection and graphics capabilities they have (and we can do some neat sniffing things to try to guess for them when they're relatively clueless).

Of course, some of our Power Users and Pros are very particular about their display, so we expose the control to them with the warning that it may cause anger from their friends and family. :)

Hope that helps!

Don