2nd wedding!!

mtmcelvymtmcelvy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited April 25, 2009 in Weddings
Here are a few of my fav's from a wedding I did recently. This was for a friend and I did it at cost. This helped her(low cost) and helps me(with experience and portfolio pics). C&C needed so I can know what I need to work on!!:scratch I have 2 more weddings later this year and I would like to improve the quality of my work.. Used a D40 with a Nikon 18-200 that I rented. I would like to upgrade my camera but they are so darn costly!!
514117081_prYCB-M-1.jpg514121740_4UpET-M-1.jpg514120842_3sGtT-M-1.jpg514125890_K4dDo-M-1.jpg
The last one is my favorite!! The sun was only coming through the window for a few minutes... HERE is a link to the gallery if anyone is interested in looking and giving some feedback:wink It's only a portion of the photos..still editing in my off time!

Comments

• mtmcelvymtmcelvy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    so... 80 something views and no replies.. either the pics are really bad or everyone is to busy to drop a line... headscratch.gifdunno anywho... I would really love some feedback.. I am used to photography for play and trying to get into photography for pay!! I am well aware of the fact that I need to improve, just looking to some pros for some incite! As I said, I have two more weddings that I am doing for cost later this year and I would like to make the most of the opportunities!! I have a friend that was born with a camera in his hand that I am trying to get up with to try and work as an assistant or 2nd. thumb.gif

It's late and I'm rambling... off to bed!!:ivar
  • CostanzoCostanzo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    I think for a second wedding you have some nice images. I'm also breaking into the photog business for a side gigs. Have spent A LOT of MONEY the last few years, on good equipment. Now spending alot on formal training. I really like #04 for the color. The B&W w/B&G looks good, although his face is a little blown, but the bride is the important subject in this shot. I think most people get to bed early on Sunday. But I slept in late today, so now my scedule is messed up, and I will pay for it, at work, about noon! Hope your other weddings go well. I have to get one first, and then you can comment on it for me.

Good Night

Rob C.:D
    "More Questions than Answers":D

My Gear:

Two Canon 40D/with battery grips
    580EX, 580EX II, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 10-22, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 50 II 1.8, 2-Alien Bee 800, Pocket Wizards, Seconic 558R, Bags, Backpack, Stands and backdrops. Just added Canon 24-70L 2.8 lens.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    mtmcelvy wrote:
    Here are a few of my fav's from a wedding I did recently. This was for a friend and I did it at cost. This helped her(low cost) and helps me(with experience and portfolio pics). C&C needed so I can know what I need to work on!!headscratch.gif I have 2 more weddings later this year and I would like to improve the quality of my work.. Used a D40 with a Nikon 18-200 that I rented. I would like to upgrade my camera but they are so darn costly!!
    514117081_prYCB-M-1.jpg
    nice shot and something has her undivided attention......WHAT? It would have been nice to include what it was she was looking at..........I like the processing.

514121740_4UpET-M-1.jpg
    Very nice but his face is blown..... she needs her flowers.....he has his................

514120842_3sGtT-M-1.jpg
    Nice but I think if bride had been holding her flowers and you could see them then it would have been much stronger.......the bride bouquet is a very important prop and should be in every photo that it is possible to have it in......The bridal bouquet is almost as important as the rings....or for that mattter the bride and groom themselves........

514125890_K4dDo-M-1.jpg
    This is your best processed photo....it is
    very nice and a well composed photo.

The last one is my favorite!! The sun was only coming through the window for a few minutes... HERE is a link to the gallery if anyone is interested in looking and giving some feedbackmwink.gif It's only a portion of the photos..still editing in my off time!

The crux of my opinons are above in bold.
    1st please leave a line of spacebetween pics andalso please number them that way all that want ot comment has the choice of doing like i have done or they can simply refer to each photo by your number .

A handheld incident light meter has saved my butt more than once doing weddings.....theincident meter takles the reading directly from the position of the subject and the dome that gathers the light is pointed in the direction of th light source hitting your subject......you could ahve had a better exposure on #2 and possibly not blown the grooms face out........

incident metering is much more accurate than reflective metering which is what your camera does................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    From a technical perspective, I can't add anything to what Art has already stated. These are a good first attempt, but ... they're missing some very crucial to successful wedding photography - I'm not getting any of the emotion of the moment. Your third comes closest for me, but I have an impression of humor rather than love/romance. I think a little PP love on #3 could bring it out a bit more.
    edited April 21, 2009
    Thank you for your responses!!!! Like I said, I love an outside opinion. The B&G are very happy with the pic's but I know they could be much better.. Most of the posed shots where taken before the wedding per the B&G.. 3rd shot was a little humor and emotion.. the B&G where getting set for some before pics and she started getting choked up... he started to get choked up, so I snapped a few pics and then hit them with some humor to bring em back around a little... oh and ran off the bride's mom... she was bringing out strong emotions from the bride every time she saw her!! It was all very moving...lot's of love in this family!!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I love the flower girl picture. I like that you are down at her level. Nice light and color, too.

Caroline
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    The flower girl (last one) is my favorite. Money lighting on that.

I don't quite get the piano shot -- is he big into the piano, does he play at the wedding? I guess I don't understand (but your clients and you might).
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I do like the flower girl shot very much.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
    edited April 22, 2009
    The "flower girl" is my fav as well.. She is the daughter of the groom and was very happy with daddy's choice to marry! She was presented with her own ring by the bride after the B&G exchanged rings...very sweet!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I perused the entire set. In general I would say they are well exposed, in focus, and above average wrt to composition and artistry. That is no small thing. thumb.gif

My comments are more towards your set cohesion. I would move all the BW shots together and either keep them as BW or as color.

Further more I think you could cull out about 1/4 of the shots. Many are repetitive and of the same subjects. Keep it lean and mean!

Lastly I would put the standout images on the 1st page to really grab the attention of the viewer.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited April 24, 2009
    Thank you everyone for the responses!!! I really do appreciate the input!! Here is one more that I really like... again she is trying to hold it together and well so is he :D

514120987_yMSGj-M-1.jpg
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Start practicing with changing your focus point to move your subject up in the frame so they aren't centered leaving so much space in the top of the photo.
    The first one is not a keeper.
    The other three are ok.
    The one of the little girl at the end would be excellent if the book wasn't sitting on top of her head.
    Work on positioning. Don't just take the shot from where you are standing, take it from the best postion to get a good composition, plan ahead.

Keep at it, I have seen lots worse................