Going to London Next Weekend

esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Hey All-

I will be in London next weekend and visiting a bunch of museums, churches, etc. Just wondering how stringent they are (in general-I understand policies may differ from place to place) about non-flash photography.

For me, part of the fun of going somewhere is photographing it, so I am hoping things are kind of lax.

Planning on seeing:

The British Museum
The Tate Modern
Westminster Abbey
St. Paul's
The Tower of London

And of course a bunch of outdoor sights (such as the Eye).

Anyway, any shooting tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    I did some research, which I should have done before making the thread, but it looks like photography is okay inside the British Mudeum, but not St. Pauls, Westminster or the Tate.
    edited February 19, 2007
    Any London shooting tips would be appreciated though.....any out of the way places that offer great photographic opportunities....etc...
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Hi Eric,

East past the Tower are some nice docks to wander about. Look for the Dickins Inn and have a pint. You could carry on East by boat to greenwich and further to the Thames Barrier.

Back into the City from the Tower maybe the Lloyds building and some City type shots of old and new buildings, markets and pubs.

Down Fleet Steet and behind the Law Courts Lincolns Inn Fields. Sir John Soane's Museum is there, small but good and free.

Into the West End and all over the place there. Soho and on towards Harrods.

That should keep you going for a while.

Have fum
    Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    esc2476 wrote:
    any out of the way places that offer great photographic opportunities....etc...
    Prague!!!!:D Well you did say out of the way and Prague is really WAAAAY OUTTA DA WAAAAAY.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 20, 2007
    Bodwick wrote:
    Hi Eric,

East past the Tower are some nice docks to wander about. Look for the Dickins Inn and have a pint. You could carry on East by boat to greenwich and further to the Thames Barrier.

Back into the City from the Tower maybe the Lloyds building and some City type shots of old and new buildings, markets and pubs.

Down Fleet Steet and behind the Law Courts Lincolns Inn Fields. Sir John Soane's Museum is there, small but good and free.

Into the West End and all over the place there. Soho and on towards Harrods.

That should keep you going for a while.

Have fum
    Bod.
    Thanks for the tips :)

And, I went to Prague in 2004 clap.gif

But that was pre-SLR :(:
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Photography is welcome in the Tower of London. I think shots of the crown jewels is off limits, but everything else is fair game.

You can shoot in the Tate, but not in the galleries themselves. They are very protective of their artwork there. You also can't photograph in the galleries directly adjacent to trafalgar square - at all. I got barked at for taking photos of the architecture itself, not even the artwork.

That's all I got, hope it helps.

15873938-L-1.jpg

Oh yeah, Have fun! Its a great city.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L