Taking a Cruise (Cozumel, Georgetown, Key West)

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited February 5, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Since our honeymoon didn't turn out quite like we'd planned - we're taking a cruise in a couple of weeks.

Ports of call are Georgetown, Cozumel, and Key West. I'd love to hear suggestions on places I need to be/shoot while we're there.

Also, if anyone has any input on whether or not to do "shore excursions" in Cozumel or just do our own thing, I'd love to hear them.

Comments

• raceMpower95raceMpower95 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I went to Cozumel on a Princess Cruise a few years ago. I don't remember too many specifics, since a lot of the ports have since blended together in my memory. I do remember it being very nice though, a lot of really cool isolated beaches and different things like that. I was younger then and didnt have the camera or the know-how that I do now, but I would love to go back sometime and shoot there. Whatever you decide, keep us updated with pictures when you get back. I'd love to reminisce. (Probably spelled that wrong.)
    Canon EOS 40D w/BG-E2 vertical grip
    Canon EOS 20D w/BG-E3 vertical grip
    Tokina AF 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X DX
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0
    L
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4.0
    L
    Canon 580 EX II
    Alien Bee Studio Strobes w/ Cybersync Triggers + VII Powerpack
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Since our honeymoon didn't turn out quite like we'd planned - we're taking a cruise in a couple of weeks.

Ports of call are Georgetown, Cozumel, and Key West. I'd love to hear suggestions on places I need to be/shoot while we're there.

Also, if anyone has any input on whether or not to do "shore excursions" in Cozumel or just do our own thing, I'd love to hear them.

My wife and I went to Cozumel via a Royal Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon. We did do an excursion to "Passion Island" and I regretted it. Although the beach was nice, the other side of the island and the transportation to & from was not worth the effort.

Nikos
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Cozumel over christmas. I've been there the last two years and the first time was right after they were hit badly by the hurricane. It's actually really amazing how well they've rebuilt the city in such a short time but it's now very nice (although there is still a lot of construction). We went on a snorkel and beach break excursion and it was pretty fun. The boat was a little crowded and the snorkeling wasn't all that great but I still had a lot of fun. The private beach we went to (can't remember the name of it) was really nice and I had a great time just hanging out there for a bit.

For excursions I would recommend something with a beach or snorkeling, but I do enjoy water a lot! For shooting, there seems to be a lot of interesting things going on in the city so street shots would be good (I didn't have a lot of time to do street stuff).

I hope you have fun on your cruise and make sure you stop off at Senor Frogs when in Cozumel!
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Honeymooned to Cozumel via the Keys on Carnival Cruise lines Ecsasty 10-years ago. Took a glass bottom boat over the reef in the Keys, pretty neat.

Walked all the shops in Cozumel, but the $5 cab ride to and from the ship was enough of an excursion for us. We did our own thing, then went back to the ship for dinner...free there you know...and enjoyed a very less crowded ship.

It was a great time, I'd do it again......maybe someday.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    We're off!
    Thanks for the tips guys. We leave tomorrow and will be back a week from Saturday. I look forward to posting some images then, D.V.

Blessings!
    edited February 3, 2007
    Back from the cruise today! I have about 2GB+ of shots to go through but I look forward to posting about it soon.
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Back from the cruise today! I have about 2GB+ of shots to go through but I look forward to posting about it soon.
    Only 2 Gigs? you must have been enjoying yourself too much!:D I've been on several of the Carnival cruises (Jeanne and I love the whole laid back cruise thing) so I know how relaxing it can be. Jeanne and I went to Hawaii this Jan. for a week on the big island and I used up both 2 gig and one gig cards. something 800 shots, but I figured go for it, right, who knows when we'll get back there.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited February 5, 2007
    RocketMan wrote:
    Only 2 Gigs? you must have been enjoying yourself too much!:D I've been on several of the Carnival cruises (Jeanne and I love the whole laid back cruise thing) so I know how relaxing it can be. Jeanne and I went to Hawaii this Jan. for a week on the big island and I used up both 2 gig and one gig cards. something 800 shots, but I figured go for it, right, who knows when we'll get back there.

RM

Heh. I think if we'd been able to land in Grand Cayman I would have used closer to 5GB. As it was, I used 3. Also, I didn't take very many (except of the sunset) in Key West - I guess I was too busy shoving pie in my face.