20D error message

StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited October 11, 2008 in Cameras
HELP!!! I finally got to take a long-awaited fall trip to the Adirondak Mountains in NY last week for the peak of the fall colors. Absolutely lovely...until my 20D started to give me an "error 99" message. I looked it up in the book, and it says "an error other than the above has occurred."

So I turned off the camera. I removed the battery. I changed the battery. I changed the lens. I went to manual focus. I changed the card. I went from manual to AV to TV to Program to Auto ...and I keep getting the error message.

Over the years, maybe once a year, I'd get an error 99 message, and all I had to do was turn off the camera for a second, and that was that.

Does anyone know if this appears to be the kiss of death? I LOVE my 20D...

Thanks for any insights...

Paul
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comments

• bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    In the event that you haven't already googled this to death, here is what I found. The link has a great method for troubleshooting exactly what is giving the Error 99 message, whether it be camera, card, lens, etc.

http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

Also, many suggestions to upgrade the firmware, somewhere around 1.1.5 (I'm a Nikon guy, so excuse me if my numbers are off), they listed this problem in the release notes and fixed it with 1.1.5 (latest should be 2.0 something and obviously, will include the updates given by older firmwares).

Hope this helps! Here's to praying your camera isn't borked! :grim
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    HELP!!! I finally got to take a long-awaited fall trip to the Adirondak Mountains in NY last week for the peak of the fall colors. Absolutely lovely...until my 20D started to give me an "error 99" message. I looked it up in the book, and it says "an error other than the above has occurred."

So I turned off the camera. I removed the battery. I changed the battery. I changed the lens. I went to manual focus. I changed the card. I went from manual to AV to TV to Program to Auto ...and I keep getting the error message.

Over the years, maybe once a year, I'd get an error 99 message, and all I had to do was turn off the camera for a second, and that was that.

Does anyone know if this appears to be the kiss of death? I LOVE my 20D...

Thanks for any insights...

Paul

Did you hear anything wierd from the camera before as you first ran into the problem?

Have you tried cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens mount?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    I appreciate the responses very much!

No, nothing out of the ordinary. Just started getting the flashing error.

I tried cleaning the contacts, and it seems to work until I start to zoom...then the message pops up again. Same with both the kit lens and the 70-200. The zooming seems to be the one constant. ne_nau.gif
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    edited October 9, 2008
    I appreciate the responses very much!

No, nothing out of the ordinary. Just started getting the flashing error.

I tried cleaning the contacts, and it seems to work until I start to zoom...then the message pops up again. Same with both the kit lens and the 70-200. The zooming seems to be the one constant. ne_nau.gif

That does sound like there's communication issues between the lens and the camera. Try cleaning the contacts again - on the body and all lenses you have, with an alcohol solvent and water (be careful to not get the fluids anywhere else).
    Creativity's hard.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited October 9, 2008

This is, I think, the hint to the problem. The only thing that zoom activity relates to the body is effective aperture information. Since the problem occurs with both lenses on the one body, the problem is likely the contact pins on the body. If cleaning the contact pins doesn't work, I suspect the camera needs repair.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 9, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    That does sound like there's communication issues between the lens and the camera. Try cleaning the contacts again - on the body and all lenses you have, with an alcohol solvent and water (be careful to not get the fluids anywhere else).

"Cleaning with an alcohol solvent and water" ... are you talking about using over-the-counter 70% isopropal with a q-tip? I want to be sure I'm doing this right...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited October 9, 2008
    "Cleaning with an alcohol solvent and water" ... are you talking about using over-the-counter 70% isopropal with a q-tip? I want to be sure I'm doing this right...

That will work to take off simple grease and oil, like from your fingers for instance.

If that doesn't work I would recommend using a new pencil with a red eraser. The red erasers are not abrasive but they do a good job of removing light oxidation and other simple plaque. They use a combination of friction and stiction to do their job.

Avoid getting any of the eraser particles inside the camera, which means holding the camera with the lens opening downward and allowing the rubber particles to fall out of the camera cavity.

Apply just enough pressure against the pins to rub but not so much pressure to stress the pins laterally.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 9, 2008

Yes, but be sure to get one that does not contain any other solvents, there are some cleaners out there that will melt plastic. If you can get 100% isopropyl alcohol, then that's the stuff. Ethanol will work as well with the same warning.

Ziggy's eraser trick is also worth a shot.
    Creativity's hard.

edited October 11, 2008
    wings.gif SUCCESS!!!...I think.

MANY thanks, guys. It seems to be back up and running. I've got a game to shoot tonight, so I'll know for sure in a few hours.

But in any event, thanks again for the tips and advice!

(by the way, pyry... nice pix on your site!)
    edited October 11, 2008
    wings.gif SUCCESS!!!...I think.

MANY thanks, guys. It seems to be back up and running. I've got a game to shoot tonight, so I'll know for sure in a few hours.

But in any event, thanks again for the tips and advice!

Glad to hear you got it working again :D
    (by the way, pyry... nice pix on your site!)

Thanks!
    Creativity's hard.