New Epson "High Definition" Printers

HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
edited November 5, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Does anyone have any experience with these printers: R260, R380. I am considering buying a low cost photo printer for my daughter and just saw advertisements for these new printers. Any thoughts on print quality, cost per print, etc.? Thanks.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 29, 2006
    bump.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    I have the Epson R340, and I am rather disappointed with it. I wanted a 13" model, but my CFO only alloted me enough to get this one. My problems with the printer are:

1 Color management
    2 user interface
    3 consistancy

I have printed 30-40 5x7's trying to get the color from the printer to match the color of my monitors, and I just CAN'T get it to cooperate. I hear the R800 and R1900 are MUCH better, if I were you I would save for one of those.

BTW I know mine is a 340, and you asked for 380, but I can't imagine they are that much different.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Thanks for the reply, Poseidon. It seems that the R380 could be quite different from the R340. New inks and printheads seem to be the biggest upgrade. I don't know if color management is improved.

I've been saving for one of the higher quality Epson printers for myself, but was looking for a possible cheap solution for my daughter to use for printing schoolwork and occasional photos.
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Halite wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience with these printers: R260, R380. I am considering buying a low cost photo printer for my daughter and just saw advertisements for these new printers. Any thoughts on print quality, cost per print, etc.? Thanks.

I have a epson r220. I love it. the cost of inks is rather expensive for sure. check cnet.net for reviews.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    If you get one, let me know please. I hope it works out well, and if it is cheaper then the R800 all the better!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix