'Round the World on a Motorbike. Best Camera?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited October 12, 2006 in Cameras
Got a question from an ADVRider and dgrinner. Maybe you can help answer it.

Our pal is departing shortly for an around the world motocycle ride. He currently has an Olympus C3030, a fine but slightly outdated camera. So he's looking at his options. The thought of an SLR has occurred to him, but it doesn't seem practical. At the moment, the Olympus C7070 looks like the logical next step, based on features, performance and familiarity.

But is it?

Things to consider: batteries that work anywhere in the world (does this rule out proprietary rechargeables in favor of AAA?) ruggedness; file size; latest innovations (mega zooms and image stabilization.)
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    The question of file size is a tricky one. Here's a quote:
    "If a camera can shoot 7 mgp versus my 3.3 mgp, does the picture contains more pixles for a given amout of hard disk space consumed? I imagine no ... Case in point, I presume I only use my digital camera to the "max" 3.3 mgp if I shoot uncompressed TIFF, which eats 16 megabytes of memory.

Right now, I have a setting that eats around 2 megabytes per pic. Given an estimated of 15,000 pics for the trip, I can handle that hard-drive wise and from a webstorage/file storage capacity.

I think 15,000 pics times 16 MB would bankrupt me.... :-) But I may be wrong, and the given output in drive space could be twice as good with a 6 mgp camera versus a 3 mgp camera. What is the truth here?"
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 27, 2006
    And here's a quote about the practical issues.
    "Some considerations for an RTW camera:

- Works on off-the-shelf AA or AAA rechargable batteries
    - Can live in a softcase versus a Pelican-style hard case.
    - Must be able to be shoved in a pack without having to revert to delicate
    planning
    - Must interface with a removable card (USB cables take up too much room versus
    a PCMCIA adapter and a CF or similar card)
    - Must not use proprietory software (use PCMCIA in other computer)
    - Can work in low-light (has big glass lens)
    - Is compact and has no swivel-out bits (like some Sony's and Canon LCD
    displays)
    - Has built-in flash
    - Bonus: can record short movie clips"
    Sid.
    edited March 27, 2006
    So, based on the above, whaddya think? Anyone have some good ideas for our intrepid traveller? He has about a week to make a commitment!
    Sid.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Sony H1 or H2. :) Great range, too.
  • MalindiMalindi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    I looked at the Olympus SP-500UZ this weekend and was very impressed at first. It did seem hard to focus at max zoom, but this was in the store, wihout flash, trying to frame something 60-80 feet away. Then I came home, read dpreview on this camera and image stabilization was an issue.

Also, I read up on lots of RAW versus JPEG on dgrin the last few days. After seeing a reduction to JPEG from RAW (it was a nightshot, long exposure), I cannot help but weep at the cataract-like properties of my current pictures.

Here's some of my "best" work to date, all shot with the C3030 and without manipulation.
    http://tinyurl.com/rhese

Also, I am taking a laptop with me on the trip, and I do have Photoshop 7 on that. I know it has features well beyond my skill set, a bit like being able to move the flaps on a 747, but I wouldn't know how to take off with it. Maybe a good PDF manual to take on the trip? I also am now considering upgrading a few things to store more RAW. I can burng DVD's on this machine, so alternate store options are possible if I want to go with RAW.

Thanks for all your feedback.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    A couple of thoughts
    And probably some obvious observations:
    • Something I have observed and which may take away some of the strain - shooting to TIFF will consume much more disk (memory card space) than will shooting to RAW (most cameras use a lossless compression of the RAW data). RAW, in turn, will consume much more space than will shooting to even the camera's extra-super-large JPG (or whatever the camera calls it's finest resolution, largest image). So, if this individual is just attempting to "capture the moment" and not, necessarily, concerned with the "art" of the image, JPG will probably cover all his bases. If so, then the question of sensor size, as it relates to file size, is not a large issue.
    • Remembering that, all other factors being equal, a larger sensor will get better image quality, get the largest sensor (not necessarily measured in pixel count) that he can get in a camera that offers all the other features that he/she needs.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    What did the Viking use? He had a pretty good track record and some decent photographic results. You remember Waxy? headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    What did the Viking use? He had a pretty good track record and some decent photographic results. You remember Waxy? headscratch.gif
    No, I'm not sure. And that's a seriously heavy thread to wade through. :uhoh
    Sid.
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Wow, going through similar debate with myself at moment.

....not the round the world trip, but good digital camera for extended motorcycle adventure rides.

Have been using Canan A80 for three years, but want to move on to something that shoots RAW and has better capability. The A80 does pretty good, but I get frustrated at trying to process images of, say, basalt cliffs against sky, and there appears purple fringing at the interface of cliff and sky.

I have been looking at, reading reviews, and comments here, on Canon 20D, 5D and new 30D, and it leaves me wanting any of them. After handling many cameras in stores, though, with idea of carrying on bike, I keep coming back to the Canon digital Rebel XT. It just seems to be the most compact and packable.

I don't care for the "super-zoom" cameras with electronic view finders.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    Go to the Viking's thread and drag one of his pictures to an EXIF viewer.
    That should answer the question of what camera.

I would suggest something that's like the Canon S series where the lens
    is covered by a small door. One of the newer Canon's is going with AA
    batteries--that might be an option.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    The one concern that I have not seen discussed is weather proof ness. What about the Pentax Optio WP - Isn't it supposed to be water resistant to 3 meters or so?

If I was riding around the world, water resistance would be very high on my list of requirements.

The Pentax Optio WP uses rechargeable Li-Ion batteries and a charger. 5Mpxl - SD card. Review is here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optiowp.asp

The Pentax Optio WPi is 6 Mpxl and uses a rechargeable Li=ion battery. It is also waterproof. Just a thought.

I have had more than one bike get a saddle bag under water with a camera inside it......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 27, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    The one concern that I have not seen discussed is weather proof ness. What about the Pentax Optio W - Isn't it supposed to be water resistant to 3 meters or so?

If I was riding around the world, water resistnace would be very high on my list of requirements. Not sure what batteries the Pentax Opito W takes.

I'm not so concerned with waterproofness. I am carrying a laptop and other gear that needs to stay bone-dry. I'm experienced at keeping things dry ... raced boats for years and camped in wet climates for many more. Outdoor Research bags are my friend ... the bags on the bike are water, dust, light and airtight, and tested as such over the last year repeatedly.
    edited March 27, 2006
    Out of curiosity, how are you going to charge (or are you) the AA batteries? If you
    are using rechargables, why not get a camera best suited for the task at hand and
    a couple of extra batteries? Scratch that if you are carrying lots of AA's.

ian
    edited March 27, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Out of curiosity, how are you going to charge (or are you) the AA batteries? If you
    are using rechargables, why not get a camera best suited for the task at hand and
    a couple of extra batteries? Scratch that if you are carrying lots of AA's.

ian

I am charging AA and AAA (if needed) batteries on the road. I have the bike set up to do that. Same with the computer. And my shaver ... It all gets charged through the motorcycle battery. These pictures will clarify everything:

Touratech%20-%20hole_small.jpg

Power%20in%20bag_small.jpg
    edited March 28, 2006
    Any comments on this ... debating the Canon PowerShot S2 IS

3q-001.jpg

I know the H1 (Sony) was reccomended earlier, but it seems the S2 IS has the upper hand. And I'm not a Sony fan ... too many proprietary quirks on a lot of the stuff I have from them.
    edited March 28, 2006
    Malindi wrote:

I know the H1 (Sony) was reccomended earlier, but it seems the S2 IS has the upper hand. And I'm not a Sony fan ... too many proprietary quirks on a lot of the stuff I have from them.

I don't own this model but if it's anything like its reviews, it'll be a great
    choice.
    edited March 28, 2006
    Malindi wrote:
    I am charging AA and AAA (if needed) batteries on the road. I have the bike set up to do that. Same with the computer. And my shaver ... It all gets charged through the motorcycle battery. These pictures will clarify everything:

I get it. I just saw this little fold up iPod solar charger. The claim is 1hr
    charge is 1 hour usage. Pretty cool if it works. So you'll leave the stuff in
    the case and just connect the case to an accessory outlet. It'll work.

I think I might electrify the tank bag. Sure make the heat-troller easier to
    find :D
    edited March 28, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I get it. I just saw this little fold up iPod solar charger. The claim is 1hr
    charge is 1 hour usage. Pretty cool if it works. So you'll leave the stuff in
    the case and just connect the case to an accessory outlet. It'll work.

I think I might electrify the tank bag. Sure make the heat-troller easier to
    find :D

Ah ... but see. I'm not "that" (tank bag) kind of person. No tank bag for me... Everyhting I will have with me is locked in hard-sized cases. How else would you go into a store and shop for food? Anything that can be removed will, and in short order, when in the 3rd world.
    edited March 28, 2006
    Malindi wrote:
    Ah ... but see. I'm not "that" (tank bag) kind of person. No tank bag for me... Everyhting I will have with me is locked in hard-sized cases. How else would you go into a store and shop for food? Anything that can be removed will, and in short order, when in the 3rd world.

No, me. I might electrify mine. But you're right about removal part.

Ian
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    panasonic lumix
    the panasonic lumix look pretty good-don't know about batteries,but they have a pretty good zoom range and aren't too large and the macros are good too-its a leica elmarit zoom- pack a storage device and bobs your uncle!
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited March 28, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    the panasonic lumix look pretty good-don't know about batteries,but they have a pretty good zoom range and aren't too large and the macros are good too-its a leica elmarit zoom- pack a storage device and bobs your uncle!

Looked at that one ... the battery issue is a big one. It does not charge off 12V without jumping through hoops. And the dpreview was not as good overall as the Canon ...

I think the Canon S2 is going to win ....
    edited March 28, 2006
    I found a website that has LOADS of good info for the Canon S2
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10364
    edited March 29, 2006
    Ok, decision made ... I have a hot new Canon S2 in my little hands ....:D
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    edited March 29, 2006
    Malindi wrote:
    Ok, decision made ... I have a hot new Canon S2 in my little hands ....:D
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Go take some test pictures. Let's see 'em.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Why would a member of av & dgrin not post that question themselves headscratch.gif

Whatever ne_nau.gif ...i would take the latest panasonic/lumix 12x & at some sort of portable H/drive...one that could run on AA's if thats avail.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Malindi wrote:

Ahhh...the noob. G'day Malindi...the panasonics/lumix leave that thing standing in its tracks from the users i have spoken to.
    edited October 9, 2006
    Time for a review
    Well, I'm in Nepal at the moment and the S2 is in the shop :cry
    In Pakistan, it developed "bacteria", for a lack of a better term. Between F8.0 and F5.6 or even F4.0, I could see "bacteria" in the upper part of the frame. Shooting a blue sky didn't work any more. It went away for a bit but came back this week. There's a Canon service center here, so it's there now. I'll know more tomorrow. What did I do wrong? Did it get too hot?

Also, the body is pretty fragile. Lots of scratches from the small plastic pieces that are part of the neck strap... Pretty disappointing.

The pics are fine when the background is mixed and not even. We'll see if it can get fixed.

Pics here for those interested: www.nohorizons.net
    edited October 11, 2006
    Malindi wrote:
    In Pakistan, it developed "bacteria", for a lack of a better term. Between F8.0 and F5.6 or even F4.0, I could see "bacteria" in the upper part of the frame. Shooting a blue sky didn't work any more. It went away for a bit but came back this week. There's a Canon service center here, so it's there now. I'll know more tomorrow. What did I do wrong? Did it get too hot?

Also, the body is pretty fragile. Lots of scratches from the small plastic pieces that are part of the neck strap... Pretty disappointing.

The pics are fine when the background is mixed and not even. We'll see if it can get fixed.

The camera got fixed for the grand prize of $31 clap.gif
    It was a bit of dust on the CCD. Canon has a repair lab here in Katmandu. Me happy.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Malindi wrote:

Never heard Pakistan in any good news eek7.gif
    H5 is working fine here
    But battery life is average pictures are super cool
    besides that Sony service is cool here
    Which city of Pakistan that happened :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited October 11, 2006
    Malindi wrote:
    The camera got fixed for the grand prize of $31 clap.gif
    It was a bit of dust on the CCD. Canon has a repair lab here in Katmandu. Me happy.
    lol3.gif No kidding? That's great news!
    Sid.