Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 9, 2007
    Thanks, Knary. Just to make sure I was accurate, here's another article with more detail. Cattle are not fed goat or sheep meat, because they're ruminants.

Gus is right, the Aussies are much more responsible and don't allow animal protein of any kind to be fed to cattle, just tallow. They currently have a feed crisis and so have to import vegetable protein sources from other countries.

Gus, it doesn't appear to be illegal to feed pigs and chickens animal protein. Do they do it?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Thanks, Knary. Just to make sure I was accurate, here's another article with more detail. Cattle are not fed goat or sheep meat, because they're ruminants.

Gus is right, the Aussies are much more responsible and don't allow animal protein of any kind to be fed to cattle, just tallow. They currently have a feed crisis and so have to import vegetable protein sources from other countries.

Gus, it doesn't appear to be illegal to feed pigs and chickens animal protein. Do they do it?

I dont know about other animals. I was the admin of a 30 000 head feed lot (cattle only). The cattle were fed hay (of varying types) which was mixed with some tallow but mainly mixed with molasses & urea. Many years back they were being feed the above but with an additive of chicken manure. Some botulism got into the feed..they think maybe from just a few feathers or part of a chicken & it killed thousands of cattle in a few days. Back then they were also fed cotton trash (left over from harvest as we have some big cotton areas here) but this was also abandoned because of pesticide fears in it.

For me ? I am far far more scared of sitting on my bike at a set of traffic lights & getting a belch of diesel smoke in the face than local meat. That stuff is bloody toxic but humans breath it alllllllll day long. No warning labels on truck exhausts 'eh ? That stuff is in the air in every street...it just moves about.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Vegans can't get so much of is B12.
    Vegan or Vegetarian ?

I see both terms used in this thread ...you guys are aware of the differences no ? I work with a vegetarian & his girlfriend is a vegan...big difference in their diets.

BTW...you Vego guys should look at some Vegemite. No animal products in it.

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Vegan or Vegetarian ?

I see both terms used in this thread ...you guys are aware of the differences no ? I work with a vegetarian & his girlfriend is a vegan...big difference in their diets.

BTW...you Vego guys should look at some Vegemite. No animal products in it.

Vegan though I'm not so fond of the implications of that word. What I'm aiming to do is to eat what Campbell calls a whole foods, plant-based diet. He also says not to stress out about it. If your whole wheat bread has egg in it or if your vegetable soup has a chicken broth base, it'll be okay.

My brother-in-law's girlfriend is vegetarian (nearly vegan though she'll eat dairy) and is kind of nutty about it. If she's over to someone's house for a bbq, she'll make them cover a spot on the grill with aluminum foil so her veggie burger doesn't touch a spot that's been tainted with meat at some point in the past. She'll spend half an hour trying to find out if there are any possible meat products in the green curry (with tofu) at the Thai restaurant.

So vegan is the closest single-word for what I'm working on changing my diet to, but the connotations aren't exactly accurate.

Anyhow, my B12 for the baby and salad questions still stand. ear.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I don't know if you have it in Yurp or not, but Newman's own light lime dressing is fantastic.

http://www.newmansown.com/product_detail.cfm?cat_id=7&prod_id=75

A whole wheat pita with hummus, lettuce mix, some avacado, tamari roasted sunflower seeds, sprouts, and this dressing is very good....
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:

Okay and another baby question. As has been mentioned in here the one thing that Vegans can't get so much of is B12. So if the baby isn't eating any animal products, how do they get their B12? I can't give him a vitamin, he'll choke. Do I give him the occassional bit of meat until he's old enough for vitamins? Is there a liquid supplement or something?

He still gets some breastmilk, right? He was partially weaned to solids, but not completely if I recall correctly? If so, so long as your wife has adequate b12 intake it will pass through to your son. (Either via her normal diet or by her supplementing with it).

Many soymilks are now fortified with b12, as well.

I've seen liquid b12 supplements specifically for veg*n children -- it may take some searching (online or otherwise) but the b12 issue IS a valid, important concern and I'm positive there is something on the market to address it.

We like nutritional yeast - your son may take to it readily, but adults sometimes need to acquire a taste for it. We sprinkle it on foods, it is very easy to add to the diet .. at least as much so as taking a pill, minus the filler.
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Vegan though I'm not so fond of the implications of that word. What I'm aiming to do is to eat what Campbell calls a whole foods, plant-based diet. He also says not to stress out about it. If your whole wheat bread has egg in it or if your vegetable soup has a chicken broth base, it'll be okay.

My brother-in-law's girlfriend is vegetarian (nearly vegan though she'll eat dairy) and is kind of nutty about it. If she's over to someone's house for a bbq, she'll make them cover a spot on the grill with aluminum foil so her veggie burger doesn't touch a spot that's been tainted with meat at some point in the past. She'll spend half an hour trying to find out if there are any possible meat products in the green curry (with tofu) at the Thai restaurant.

So vegan is the closest single-word for what I'm working on changing my diet to, but the connotations aren't exactly accurate.

Anyhow, my B12 for the baby and salad questions still stand. ear.gif
    Good questions! I can't vouch for the source, but based on what I've learned in the many nutrition classes I took in college, this looks accurate: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-b12.html .

B12 is the only water-soluble vitamin that is stored for long periods of time in the body. You don't need to consume it daily, and the DRI for it has quite a big built-in cushion. Basically, if your baby is still getting breastmilk and your wife doesn't have a B-12 deficiency, then he's fine. Even with no breastmilk, he's got enough at birth to last 8 months without any intake whatsoever.

I do know there are B12 drops on the market, just as you can find most vitamin supplements in drop form. (Vitamin D supplement drops are very common for babies, I'm told).

As far as salad dressing goes, this is a tough one. It kinda depends on how far you want to take "whole plant foods". In Eat to Live, Dr. Fuhrman gives lots of salad dressing recipes that are basically ground up fruit with some spices. For example, "apple pie" salad dressing. I never did get to try these before the book was due back at the library... but I could see how a tangy, fruity salad dressing without all the sugar and fat would be appetizing.

Oils are not "whole plant foods". Olives are, soybeans are, corn is, but the oil extracted from them has very little nutritive value and is high in calories (obviously).

I sometimes end up making my own salad dressing and Vitamix it up with oil, vinegar, water, and whatever seasonings sound appealing. I've done many balsamic vinaigrettes this way with garlic and basil. I've also done a fresh ginger soy vinaigrette using rice vinegar, soy sauce, etc. If I want to go low-fat, for whatever reason, I like throwing some black beans on my salad and using a pico de gallo as a "dressing".

If you're buying at the store, in my experience, you have to often have to choose between less processed and higher fat. Example:

Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar Dressing (45 cal/TBS, 40 cal from fat)
    Ingredients: Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil), Water, Red Wine Vinegar, Onion, Spices, Salt, Garlic, Lemon Juice and Distilled Vinegar

The oil is not ideal, but at least I can read the label and there's nothing in there that doesn't belong in salad dressing.

The "Lighten Up" line of Newman's Own adds sugar to the ingredient list and has more water and vinegar than oil. (22 cal/TBS, 20 from fat)

Fat-free Kraft dressings on the other hand, have ingredient lists like this:

Raspberry Vinaigrette: water, sugar, apple cider vinegar, vinegar, salt, contains less than 2% of cucumber juice, raspberry juice concentrate, onion juice, lemon juice concentrate, xanthan gum, propylene glycol alginate, modified food starch, citric acid, with potassium sorbate and calcium disodium edta as preservatives, poppy seeds, vitamin E acetate, red 40, dried garlic

Even their "Light Done Right" Raspberry vinaigrette appears to fall a little short on the raspberries: Water, Sugar, Canola Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt. Contains Less Than 2% of Vinegar, Raspberry Juice Concentrate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Dried Onions, Spice, Citric Acid, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Poppy Seeds, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Vitamin E Acetate, Apocarotenal (Color), Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E).

Italian: water, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, contains less than 2% of parmesan cheese (part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), garlic, onion juice, whey, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate and calcium disodium edta as preservatives, yeast extract, spice, red bell peppers, lemon juice concentrate, dried garlic, buttermilk, caramel color, sodium phosphate, enzymes, oleoresin paprika

One fat-free dressing on the market that I like is Annie's Naturals Raspberry & Balsamic Salad Dressing (15 cal/TBS)
    This manages to have a pretty readable ingredient list:
    Raspberry Puree, Water, Sugar, Balsamic Vinegar, Distilled Vinegar, Natural Raspberry Extract, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum.

I'm not sure if that helps at all... but there it is! :D

-Anne
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I didn't buy Dr. F's Blood Orange Vinegar, but I did modify the salad dressing that calls for it in his book, and it's great.

My version is 3 cluster tomatoes, 1/2 cup of Balsamic Vinegar, pureed. That's it. Better than any non-fat commercial dressing on the market, and no added salt, sugar, fat or thickeners.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 9, 2007
    I guess we used to get B12 from feces. Manure was common around the foods we grew or foraged for, as it is in the developing world, because they use it for fertilizer. Or insects would poop on & around our plants.

Now we fertilize with nitrogen and spray for bugs.

Something I never expected to happen happened to me wrt salads. I used to love the dressings and want lots. Salad wasn't good without being buried in blue cheese dressing. But over the last year it seems I put less and less on, and for many salads I go dressing-free, without a desire for it.

But I will often sweeten it with some dried cranberries, blueberries, whatever. Sometimes just a litte flavored vinegar like the ones Dr. Fuhrman sells is all I feel like. I think taste buds adjust over time.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    I guess we used to get B12 from feces. Manure was common around the foods we grew or foraged for, as it is in the developing world, because they use it for fertilizer. Or insects would poop on & around our plants.

Something I never expected to happen happened to me wrt salads. I used to love the dressings and want lots. Salad wasn't good without being buried in blue cheese dressing. But over the last year it seems I put less and less on, and for many salads I go dressing-free, without a desire for it.

But I will often sweeten it with some dried cranberries, blueberries, whatever. Sometimes just a litte flavored vinegar like the ones Dr. Fuhrman sells is all I feel like. I think taste buds adjust over time.

Fascinating. I can't imagine happily eating a dry salad and marvel at your experience. The human mind is endlessly interesting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Fascinating. I can't imagine happily eating a dry salad and marvel at your experience. The human mind is endlessly interesting.

:lol

Dry salads only work, IMHO, if the greens are fresh from the garden. Then I can munch away happily on them like a good two legged rabbit. I find store bought lettuce, no matter how fancy the store, to be more like mulch than tasty.
    edited August 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Hahaha. We went to Africa with friends and there were many temptations... Huge buffets, restaurants that specialized in decadent pancakes, etc.

Our friends (and my wife) were in shock watching me pass the prime rib and blueberry pie and go for the veggies. They felt sorry for me, like I was deprived. They'd say, "you have to take one bite of this!"

But I was in heaven, pigging out on the foods I now love. I could eat all I wanted and not collapse in a food coma or put on pounds. I don't eat a few bites for the same reason I don't smoke a few cigarettes. Once I eat a little the cravings start and pie with whipped cream looks better than salads. Right now pie and cream look yucky and I hope it stays that way.
    edited August 9, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

I totally hear you on the "less and less on" bit. I used to use dressing to mask the taste of the salad. Now it's just a bit to add some extra flavor to an already yummy dish.

Also, a note on the salad dressings I mentioned. I've said this before, but I'm not in need of losing any weight at the moment. I'm actually putting weight on because I'm pregnant. So for me, the oil in my salad dressing doesn't present a huge problem, and I'm more concerned with added sugar and highly-processed foods. But, I'd probably be better off putting some nuts and dried fruit on my salad and doing a much lighter dressing a la DavidTO. :D
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I just found this article about the changing argriculture market - the expected impact of biofuel production on food prices.

Interestingly, dressing is a recently aquired taste for me, and I still don't use much. The brocolli salad that I just tried from Costco is something I will replicate on my own now, as it is very good - the brocolli stems were julienned - like a coleslaw ingredient. The package was sold with sunflower seed, dried cranberries and soy nut thingys as topping - it is really good. It came with a huge packet of dressing (no ingredients listed) but I just used a few drops.

In the summer, or when fresh herbs are available, my favorite dressing is

balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
    basil
    oregano
    some EVOO - probably not necessary.

balsamic vinegar on grilled veggies is to die for. works great on wilted spinach too.

ann
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    You guys rock. Thanks. thumb.gif

(goes to puree some tomatoes and balsamic, etc)
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    OK So I have been putting this off and slowly converting one meal at a time. Mainly cause I hate shopping, eat out alot, and hadn't taken time to look for recipes. So I started looking for reciepes today. Found this.

http://www.veganchef.com/

Now if only it had nutritional values so I could count my calories easily as well.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited August 9, 2007
    If you're following the Eat To Live guidelines, you don't need to count calories. Eat as much as you want.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you're following the Eat To Live guidelines, you don't need to count calories. Eat as much as you want.

Your gonna make me buy a non-fiction book and read it aren't you.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited August 9, 2007
    Your gonna make me buy a non-fiction book and read it aren't you.

:D

You can check it out from the library.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    :D

You can check it out from the library.

I just had a thought, I hope they come in audio versions.....:D
    www.zxstudios.com
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    This thread is useless without photos. :D

I don't have much time to cook but my wife made some whole wheat pasta before she left to chauffeur kids to karate lessons. The organic no-sugar pasta sauce I have is pretty bland, so I sauteed an orange pepper and some onions, then stirred in the sauce. A bit of thyme, oregano and lemon pepper to taste and viola', a much tastier sauce.

182215466-M.jpg

It took about 10 minutes, which is huge for me. If I have to spend 45 minutes to cook healthy, it ain't gonna happen! mwink.gif

The other big thing? My wife is now making whole wheat pasta for herself and the boys without any prodding from me. The first small step for them!
    edited August 9, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    This thread is useless without photos. :D

I don't have much time to cook but my wife made some whole wheat pasta before she left to chauffeur kids to karate lessons. The organic no-sugar pasta sauce I have is pretty bland, so I sauteed an orange pepper and some onions, then stirred in the sauce. A bit of thyme, oregano and lemon pepper to taste and viola', a much tastier sauce.

182215466-M.jpg

It took about 10 minutes, which is huge for me. If I have to spend 45 minutes to cook healthy, it ain't gonna happen! mwink.gif

The other big thing? My wife is now making whole wheat pasta for herself and the boys without any prodding from me. The first small step for them!

Yum! Yeah, my husband wasn't a big fan of whole wheat pasta or brown rice, but once I cooked them a few times... he decided he prefers the brown stuff. Simple enough change... just toss a different bag of pasta in the boiling water or throw a different kind of rice in the rice cooker, but the nutritional difference is significant! thumb.gif

-Anne
    edited August 9, 2007
    When it comes to the whole wheat pasta and brown rice I'm already there, I would rather eat that any day.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited August 9, 2007
    I just had a thought, I hope they come in audio versions.....:D
    I listened to Healthy at 100 (great book) and Omnivore's Dilemma on audio. I understand the China Study is out on audio now.

Here's the nutrient percentages that all-purpose white flour has compared to whole wheat:

Calories 111.3%
    Protein 81.9%
    Total lipid (fat) 63.6%
    Carbohydrate 107.2%
    Total saturated fat 57.6%
    Ttl monounsaturated fat 43.5%
    Ttl polyunsaturated fat 65.9%
    Dietary fiber 21.4%
    Thiamin 31.3%
    Riboflavin 34.8%
    Niacin 22.9%
    Vitamin B6 14.7%
    Folacin 68.4%
    Potassium 29.5%
    Calcium 51.7%
    Phosphorus 37.5%
    Magnesium 17.5%
    Iron 36.7%
    Zinc 26.4%
    Pantothenic acid 45.9%
    Copper 33.2%
    Manganese 17.1%
    Ash 29.9%
    Water 91.0%
    Myristic acid (14:0) 0.0%
    Palmitic acid (16:0) 63.2%
    Stearic acid(18:0) 53.8%
    Palmitoleic acid(16:1) 0.0%
    Oleic acid(18:1) 45.3%
    Linoleic acid (18:2/n6) 65.2%
    Linolenic acid(18:3/n3) 81.5%
    Histidine 80.7%
    Isoleucine 77.9%
    Leucine 83.1%
    Lysine 68.1%
    Methionine 91.0%
    Cystine 68.0%
    Methionine+Cystine 76.9%
    Phenylalanine 87.8%
    Tyrosine 80.6%
    Phenylalanine+Tyrosine 85.0%
    Threonine 77.0%
    Tryptophan 79.4%
    Valine 74.6%
    Arginine 70.1%
    Alanine 73.8%
    Aspartic acid 68.0%
    Glutamic acid 87.0%
    Glycine 70.3%
    Serine 88.1%
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    If I want to go low-fat, for whatever reason, I like throwing some black beans on my salad and using a pico de gallo as a "dressing".
    -Anne

I like to still go out to Chipotle for lunch. I get one of their 'salads': greens, black beans, grilled onions & green peppers, corn, guacamole. For dressing I use the Tabasco hot sauce Chipotle Flavor. That got me thinking, so at home I use organic tomatillo salsa or Mrs Renfro's Jalapeno Green Salsa as a dressing. I'm not a fan of red tomatos, or chunky tomato salsas, so I have to look for alternatives.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited August 10, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I like to still go out to Chipotle for lunch. I get one of their 'salads': greens, black beans, grilled onions & green peppers, corn, guacamole. For dressing I use the Tabasco hot sauce Chipotle Flavor.
    Exactly what I do. :D
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    well, after all this chat, I picked up a copy of The China Study. Unfortunately Dr. Fuhrman's book is nowhere to be found in town. Must be popular or nobody gives a rat's patooty about what's going into their mouths. I'm hoping reading this will gross me out so much I'll freely give up meat and dairy. We'll see.....

It's the thought of giving up cheese and yogurt that's hardest to fathom. ne_nau.gif Chocolate soy milk is about the only soy I love.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    All I had to do was tell one of my Resturant owner friends that I was diabetic and trying to lose weight and all of a sudden I never see a menu or have any say as to what I get to eat.....my steamed rice turned brown, my mayliasian rice noodle with beef pork and shrimp....became a heaping pile of broccolli, onions, snow peas, green peppers and tofu......and my fav: malaysian curry soup.....has no meat anylonger either and they put bitter melon in any soup I get from them.....it is funny to see the xpressions of a cafe full of patrons when a waitstaffer yells to the back that "Art is here".....and then you hear from the kitchen "make sure he gets his table".....the looks are so funny....

Here is a fav fruit dish I have been devouring the last couple of days:
    1 med gala apple
    1 necterine (remove seed)
    2 dark plums (remove seed)
    4 med to large strawberries
    a small amount of stevia powder
    approx 2 ounces water

Load in the vita mix....spin on low and speed up to high in a few seconds.....blend for approx 1-2 minutes pour into plastic drink bottle (I use the 32 oz rubbermaid) for work......it takes 2 of these to get me thru the night (my shift is 12 hrs - 5p to 5a)....I also have to have something more substanial to keep me from getting very hungry so I have pita chips (roasted garlic - Athenos brand) and athenos brand roasted garlic hummus.....

I also eat TAbouli Salad.....so I make it either from scratch (bulgur wheat soaked in water, tons of finely chopped parsley, olive oil (ex ex ex virgin [ can't be too virgin for me] onion, garlic and tomatoes......or I buy a few pounds of the tabouli mix from the health food store and add onion, garlic and tomatoes after soaking the mix in boiling water and then refrigerating it until cold.......

I have not totally broke from the meat / fish syndrome but have started to cut back to 2 or 3 servings a week.....as a hunter harvester my meat and fish do not come from the grocery store or resturants.....so it is lots of vension, phaesant, various fish I have caught.....so with my decline in the amount of meat / fish what I have should last me about another 2 yrs or more mwink.gif..........

Have a great weekend all...bed time now for me
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited August 10, 2007
    Well, I got a refurbed Vitamix, and the first thing I did was try throwing some spinach in my smoothie, a la Baldy. I don't really notice it, as he says, with all the fruit and berries. The Vitamix is very cool. Well, not really "cool", unless you count retro-ugly as cool, but I'm really happy with the results I get from it.

The other thing is, I'm completely off soy milk now. I thought I'd give it one last try, but it's no good. My weight loss stopped completely when I started on the soy in my smoothies, I started breaking out, and things weren't going as "smoothly", if you catch my drift. :D

Anyway, for me, soy is evil. I will enjoy the fermented forms of soy, which do not have the same problems inherent in them that non-fermented soy do. Or, at least, that's what I've read, and I'm willing to give it a shot and see how it works for me.

But getting off the soy had an immdiate (24-48 hour) positive impact for me.

Y'all might want to pay attention to it, as well.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 10, 2007
    retro-ugly is totally cool!

congrats!