Two Migrants Shot In My Garden

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
edited September 1, 2015 in Holy Macro
I took a look around the garden in the last sunlight (4.15) of the afternoon. Looking up at our ancient Golden Plum tree, I saw a movement . It was a Hawker Dragonfly. It was flying in amongst the main vertical branches and at more than twice my height.

It made some quick move to the left and then landed to the right. I looked at where it had made that move and saw another one, already perched there.

These were males of the Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta.

Getting some images was problematic. I specially wanted to show the two in the same frame but the plane of focus was sloping away from me. I needed to get higher to try to get parallel to that plane.

I tried standing on a stool. I repeated that, this time with a teleconverter attached. I needed to get higher. Eventually, I was standing on the top rung of some steps (at my shoulder height from the ground)

My shins rested against the intended handhold as I tried to balance without wobbling. The plane was still at a bit of an angle but f16 (effective) did a reasonable job.

I tried ambient exposure but only compulsory flash in manual mode got acceptable results. The final image does not have the head of the upper dragon quite sharp but it shows the relative positions of the two adequately.

The third image is of the one on the right in the last image.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm, mostly with x1.5 TC at f11.

Harold

1181161.jpg

1181162.jpg

1181163.jpg

1181164.jpg

1181165.jpg

Comments