Options

Arge pangana Sawfly Larvae Threat Display

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited August 25, 2015 in Holy Macro
A week or so ago, I noticed that the leaves of a small, self-sown Prunus tree were being stripped to the veins. None of the culprits were to be seen. This happened on several subsequent daily visits.

It seemed likely that the feeding was happening at night and I made a mental note to check after dark. On each further visit, I cursed my continued failure to observe after dark.

On Saturday, I was again blaming myself for not checking at night when I saw what is captured in the following images. I believe this species to be the Large Rose Sawfly Argo pangana, adults of which I see around the garden. (They have a dull, dark yellow, plump abdomen).

I had observed this behaviour on roses, in earlier years, but never on a Prunus. Once, disturbed, the larvae rear up but, in previous instances, soon resume their feeding attitudes, making the display difficult to photograph. This was an exception, the larvae rearing up for prolonged periods and/or repeatedly. I had no problem getting a long session.

These images were with my Kiron 105mm. Close-ups, through my Printing Nikkor 105, will follow in a separate topic.

Olympus EM-1, Kiron 105 at f16, twin flash, hand-held.

Harold

1179251.jpg

1179252.jpg

1179253.jpg

1179254.jpg

1179255.jpg

1179258.jpg

1179260.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2015
    Incredible series. One can almost see the leaf disappearing as you scroll down (I can see there a multiple leaves, but the first time you scroll down, it seems like you are seeing one leaf disappear). #3 seems like they are an intricate part of the leaf design - or doing a slow undulating dance. Congrats on a great set beautifully focused.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2015
    Great set! #3 is a WOWZER!clap.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Incredible series. One can almost see the leaf disappearing as you scroll down (I can see there a multiple leaves, but the first time you scroll down, it seems like you are seeing one leaf disappear). #3 seems like they are an intricate part of the leaf design - or doing a slow undulating dance. Congrats on a great set beautifully focused.

Thanks. Just to make the session more interesting for me, they would sometimes project their bodies in a plane other than that of the leaf.

Tomorrow's continuation goes in closer, with a better lens, and something extra.

Harold
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great set! #3 is a WOWZER!clap.gifthumb

Thanks.

Harold