Abusive Comments and Thumbs Up/Down

Comments

• SynappedSynapped Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2012
    Thank you, THANK YOU!!
    Thank you sooooo much, Andy, for doing this. wings.gif

Another question: since I have Thumbs enabled in the gallery that feeds into the Daily's community, I'm wondering if the person can go there to Thumb it down and still throw it out of the Daily views?
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Hi Andy,

Here is the link of my today photo in the dailies gallery:

http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos/popular/today/1821187548_XkHWkGK#!i=1823056138&k=BvKBgJk

- no thumbs.

And here is the link to the same photo in my gallery linked to the dailies:

http://allbiz.smugmug.com/Photography/Daily-Photography/Photo-of-the-day-2010/6464803_N6PDWQ#!i=1823056138&k=BvKBgJk

- it shows both thumbs

*** If I turn the ranking off for this gallery, the photo disappears from the dailies gallery

I hope there will be a solution for this...

Thanks,
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Synapped wrote: »
    Thank you sooooo much, Andy, for doing this. wings.gif

Another question: since I have Thumbs enabled in the gallery that feeds into the Daily's community, I'm wondering if the person can go there to Thumb it down and still throw it out of the Daily views?

Super easy to see and try for yourself (the very best way to learn!) .. just go to your gallery logged out as a visitor.

The answer is YES. You can set the thumbs to be off if you like in gallery settings (see my posts above!).
    edited May 1, 2012
    I hope there will be a solution for this...

Thanks,

There is and I have already posted it above. Read the help page I linked, and you can add this to your bottom javascript box:

displaySmugPopular = false;
    edited May 1, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    There is and I have already posted it above. Read the help page I linked, and you can add this to your bottom javascript box:

displaySmugPopular = false;

You mean like this?

i-3VKg7zV-XL.png

I did it and it doesn't work - the same situation: thumbs on:

http://allbiz.smugmug.com/Photography/Daily-Photography/Photo-of-the-day-2010/6464803_N6PDWQ#!i=1823056138&k=BvKBgJk

Please help.

Thanks,
    Travelways.com
    edited May 1, 2012
    Please help.

Thanks,
    You have that gallery specifically set to Appearance = SmugMug - this ignores any and all customizations. Please change that in gallery settings to "Custom" and you will be all set.
  • RuSuRuSu Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Go to ANY photo in the community in IE8 & you'll see thumbs!
    Please share me a link. I cannot help without a direct link to a photo that shows the thumbs in the community gallery. If it's a personal gallery that is UP TO the gallery owner to show or not show the thumbs.
    edited May 1, 2012
    You have that gallery specifically set to Appearance = SmugMug - this ignores any and all customizations. Please change that in gallery settings to "Custom" and you will be all set.

It works - WOW!!! wings.gif

Thank you, so, so much!!! clap.gif

Can we please repeat the steps here for all the others to know what to do?

I'm not sure about what RuSu says regarding IE, cause I'm on Mac... headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited May 1, 2012
    I'm not sure about what RuSu says regarding IE, cause I'm on Mac... headscratch.gif

Doesn't matter about browser.

I've said it numerous times :D Again, please follow the instructions here, thanks http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93248-search-browse
    edited May 1, 2012
    RuSu wrote: »
    Go to ANY photo in the community in IE8 & you'll see thumbs!

IE8, no thumbs.

20120501-g25hdk6wxnd8m9exge8b6yfrd.jpg

It works.
    edited May 1, 2012
    Thank you Andy thousand times clap.gifclapclap.gif

I will recap here the steps, if you don't mind, so everybody will know how to do this:

1. Go to this page: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93248-search-browse
    - scroll down to: "What? You don't want thumbs?" and read what to do.

2. Go to your home page and from the top menu choose: Tools: Easy Customizer, and on that page click on the right side on "Advanced Site-wide Customization".

2a. Once there go to the bottom where you read: Bottom JavaScript (optional & advanced)

2b. in the box insert this: displaySmugPopular = false;

2c. click Update

3. Go back to your daily gallery and from the settings page, at the bottom, Under Community - choose Appearance -> Community.

It works!!! :) :ivar
    Travelways.com
  • billiejeanbilliejean Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2012
    still have thumbs
    Andy you sent me directions on how to turn off photo rank when I explained that I still have thumbs on my daily gallery.

I tried turning off photo rank and my friends emailed and said they couldn't see my pictures.

There are actually several of us in this same boat.

We need to all be on the same playing field.

Using the same method Smug turned off the thumbs yesterday, I would like mine to be turned off today just like everyone else's.

People did not go in individually and remove their thumbs yesterday, it was done automatically.
    edited May 1, 2012
    billiejean wrote: »
    Andy you sent me directions on how to turn off photo rank when I explained that I still have thumbs on my daily gallery.

I tried turning off photo rank and my friends emailed and said they couldn't see my pictures.

There are actually several of us in this same boat.

We need to all be on the same playing field.

Using the same method Smug turned off the thumbs yesterday, I would like mine to be turned off today just like everyone else's.

People did not go in individually and remove their thumbs yesterday, it was done automatically.

Hi. Please show me a gallery link ear.gif
    edited May 1, 2012
    thumbs remain
    Hi. Please show me a gallery link ear.gif

Here's the link.
    http://billiejean.smugmug.com/Photography/Daily-Pix-2012-Jan-Jan/20716864_FGqrCg#!i=1822162686&k=FhB5LBL
    edited May 1, 2012

Billie you have not put the code into your customizing page. Please follow the instructions here http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93248-search-browse and put the code here:

http://billiejean.smugmug.com/homepage/cobrand.mg

Also you have that gallery set to Appearance = SmugMug you must change that to Custom.
    edited May 1, 2012

Got it, followed Tatiana's instructions. I still don't understand why the majority of people did not have to do this.

But it's done now.
    edited May 1, 2012
    Got it, followed Tatiana's instructions. I still don't understand why the majority of people did not have to do this.

But it's done now.

Maybe most of them had the settings in the gallery to "Community" headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited May 2, 2012
    I figured it out. Yes, if you're in the Daily Community, no thumbs appear. I had mistakenly gone to SM's general 'browse popular photos' where, of course, thumbs appear as you did the master change only for the community. So, if some one wants to continue his/her nasty ways, all they need do is browse the day's popular photos where most of the community members' photos do appear.

I think the temporary fix is good, but the bottom line is that until SM deals with the core thumbs issue, it's far from perfect.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

IE8, no thumbs.

20120501-g25hdk6wxnd8m9exge8b6yfrd.jpg

It works.
    edited May 2, 2012
    Anyway to...?
    Andy,

Is there any way to keep one's community (Daily) gallery set to community style, yet still retain one's logo/identity heading?

Thanks.

Susan
    RuSu
    edited May 2, 2012
    Andy,

Is there any way to keep one's community (Daily) gallery set to community style, yet still retain one's logo/identity heading?

Thanks.

Susan
    RuSu
    No there is not, sorry.
    edited May 2, 2012
    At the end I'd like to express my big gratitude to John (johnloguk) who put such a tremendous effort for all this to be resolved!

Thanks to him, our Daily community is back to a normal friendly community of passionate photographers whose only scope is to honestly share their creations with others, in a friendly way, without targeting unmerited honors.

Thanks to him, we can now again benefit from each others work, learning and progressing into this beautiful art form.

Thank you, thank you John and also thank you Andy for your understanding and help. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited May 2, 2012
    Your fix has been hacked, Andy...
    Well, it was a good try, Andy - worked for about 24 hrs. But, as of this writing (4:15PM EST), the #1 photo has 19 comments. #2 - 29; #3-25; #4-26.

Nothing's perfect in this world, but until the thumbs are totally removed from SM, you're going to hear nothing but complaints. Has nothing to do with my shot being #2 - I'll take 2nd any day, but your system stinks. I've been with SM 3 yrs. &, like many others, am getting pretty fed up...

Sorry to have to write this.

Susan
    RuSu
    edited May 2, 2012
    Well, it was a good try, Andy - worked for about 24 hrs. But, as of this writing (4:15PM EST), the #1 photo has 19 comments. #2 - 29; #3-25; #4-26.

Nothing's perfect in this world, but until the thumbs are totally removed from SM, you're going to hear nothing but complaints. Has nothing to do with my shot being #2 - I'll take 2nd any day, but your system stinks. I've been with SM 3 yrs. &, like many others, am getting pretty fed up...

Sorry to have to write this.

Susan
    RuSu
    Sorry, nothing's been "hacked". I'm doing everything I can do right now to help and assist you and everyone in this community, and be responsive to your requests. I'm sorry you are upset. Why would you even say it's been "hacked?" We've laid out the plans with the new gallery style, I hope you can wait for that. Thanks!
    edited May 3, 2012
    You are correct. Hacked isn't the right word. Should have said the thumbs are still being abused & that until they're no longer an option site-wide, they will continue to be abused - the ugly side of human nature.

The new gallery style's been a long time in the offing.
    Sorry, nothing's been "hacked". I'm doing everything I can do right now to help and assist you and everyone in this community, and be responsive to your requests. I'm sorry you are upset. Why would you even say it's been "hacked?" We've laid out the plans with the new gallery style, I hope you can wait for that. Thanks!
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    You are correct. Hacked isn't the right word. Should have said the thumbs are still being abused & that until they're no longer an option site-wide, they will continue to be abused - the ugly side of human nature.

The new gallery style's been a long time in the offing.

I see why you don't like the thumbs, but those of us that don't participate in smugmug communities don't necessarily share your view. I know that thumbs are gone in the new gallery style. Only time will tell how the new system works. But for me, thumbs work ok. I sure hope comments aren't needed for determining popularity... Especially if Facebook is required to leave comments. Thumbs give me just a tiny bit of control. And they are an easy way for visitors to say "i like this" anonymously. I'd hate for that kind of ability to be taken away. My site is my site... It's not a competition or a community. My photos are only "ranked" against my photos. Smugmug needs to decide how to deal with people like me and people that use smugmug more like flikr... Where their guests are more broad. My guests wouldn't understand why search results offers pictures I didn't take.

Dave
  • jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    I just tried to give Thumbs Up to John's Picture today and on the side bar instead of one green and one red it had too red thumbs down, tried again, same thing, tried to take a screen shot and it changed green and red...what the HECK is going on?

Happens all the time...as Andy said, it's a glitch. Probably javascript or whatever programming is involved. Click a different picture, then come back, and the problem is usually solved.
  • Kresten RefslundKresten Refslund Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2012
    A simple solution to the Thumbs problem is as follows: Only availability to use the thumbs is when you are logged in. The rule to day is that once logged in you can only use the thumb one time for each picture.
  • scianghettiscianghetti Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2012
    Not sure what the new setup is going to offer, but this problem doesn't exist on sites like G+ or 500px as examples. 500px you have an option to "like" only once and only if you are logged in and the same goes for G+ where you can +1 something only once and only when logged in ~ can't see why smug can't do the same?? Many folks don't like to write comments or have time and a it's great to have a "hey I like this" system that is easy. (and maybe like G+ show how many "likes" a shot has) I really never felt the thumbs down was helpful or necessary..you don't like it, you don't do anything...just my two cents worth....
  • johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Despite all the work people have put in, both in contributing to this discussion, and Andy changing things at Smug, there is still something very odd going on with the rankings. How can a pic with 4 comments be ranked above one with 9 for instance? Is there a simple way to explain the ranking algorithm, I know it isn't just on comments, stars or thumbs?

Someone is still manipulating the gallery somehow. Either there is a ranking/popularity system that works and is fair, or there isn't.

This isn't about people desperate to be number 1, although some clearly exist, it is about transparency and fairness
  • johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Now this is really interesting. Since I added my last post complaining that someone was manipulating the rankings today, my photo has suffered hugely! So I deduce from that the scumbag manipulator is reading this thread :)

OK moron, if you're out there, stop playing little children and hiding behind anonymity, what exactly is your game, is your life so sad and empty that you take pleasure in manipulating the rankings on a tiny little photographic community?

I've got a bit of spare time myself today, let's have a little chat wings.gif