Deer pics from yesterday. 56 k warn

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited November 5, 2005 in Wildlife
So yesterday after shooting the sunrise, I hoped to get some decent shots of the whitetail deer that are common in this part of Ohio.

I happen to know of a small island where the deer like to spend the majority of the daylight hours as the island is difficult for humans to access.

In order to get to the island, the deer have to cross the river. Most of them do it in a shallow area on the southwest end.

When I arrived in the area, there were no deer yet, which is perfect. Thats allows me to find a quite spot and wait.

While I was waiting, I took this shot of some Canada Geese hangin around the shallows.

42196306-L.jpg

After being there ten minutes or so, the geese all flew off together. Something had spooked them.

Some distance upstream from me I saw two does crossing the river. I did not have an angle to shoot the as they crossed but did get this shot of one of them after she reached the other bank.

42196515-L.jpg

A few minutes later, two more does crossed on the other side of me. Light was still a little low, but I did manage a couple of decent shots while the mist was still on the river and the sun was behind the trees.

42196876-L.jpg

As the sun came up, two more does made their way into the river. The fall colors were starting to reflect on the river.

42197006-L.jpg

The does made their way across to their island haven and disappeared into the brush.

42197699-L.jpg

I waited there for another fifteen minutes without sighting anything and I was beginning to catch a chill so I decided to move out in search of fall color.

I made my way back to my car and was about to climb in when I spotted a young buck a couple of hundred yards down the road. He saw me as well and walked back into the brush. I slowley made my way down to where he had walked in. I crossed the little hill that parallels the road and found that he hadn't went far.

42198288-L.jpg

He kept walking away from the road, stopping to eat here and there, always aware that I was watching and walking away or parrallel to me, but I was carefull not to spook him. Strangley I have found that talking to them in a low, even toned calm voice calms them down a little.

42198750-L.jpg

It wasn't long before he came across another young buck the two of them snorted and sniffed at each other for a couple of minutes. They both were ignoring me at this point, but I was in a position where there was some tall weeds and brush between us. I was slowly moving to get in a better position when the decided to test each other a little.

42198484-L.jpg

They locked antlers a couple of times, pushing and shoving like a couple of 4th grade bullies.

42198158-L.jpg

The younger of the two finally broke it off and headed off into the brush, giving me a last parting look before he was gone.

42198873-L.jpg

The slightly larger buck headed back the way he came. I pressume he was on his way to cross the river... I wonder why? I was in no position to follow so that was the end of the encounter. I had some fun watching nature in action. I got a couple of decent shots, and I get to share them with you.

What could be better.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Sounds like you had a nice morning. Thanks for sharing.

Personaly I like the 1st shot the best,

Sam
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Wow. What a fantastic morning you must have had. #1 and 3 stand out from the pack, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Magical Brian. clap.gif If I could get a shot like #1 the whole day would have been a success for me.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Beautiful brian ! Is that frost on the ground ?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 31, 2005
    Great series, Brian. Capturing the young bulls measuring each other is ecellent.
    I have heard hunters say that talking to them softly helps keep them from bolting also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    one and four but all are great --maybe headscratch.gif that 12 /24 lens I have that is rusting may have use after all ne_nau.gif nice set thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Great shots! I like the one of them butting heads the best.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Wonderful set Brian
    #1 talks to me thumb.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Thanks everyone.

I am glad you liked them. Looks like maybe I shoulda put #1 in the challenge... :D

Yes Gus. That was frost on the ground.

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

Brian
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    i don't know what it is about it but i really liked number 5. maybe the composition. or the mist in the background and the "detailed silhouettes" of the deer. i don't know. it would be good competition shot if you cropped it a little tho. thumb.gif

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

I am glad you liked them. Looks like maybe I shoulda put #1 in the challenge... :D

Yes Gus. That was frost on the ground.

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

Brian
    Outstanding Brian thumb.gifthumb.gif

Yep, that first one either belongs in a challenge, should be submitted to a POTD site, or printed large and hung on a wall in your home. Ex-cell-an-tay :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    WOW!!! :wow

What a great series.

Love the way you got the landscape and the subjects together in harmony. One can really feel these shots.

Just plain....OUTSTANDING!!! thumb.gif
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    WOW wow and wow,

I really like the images that you have taken in this series of images. The fall colours really are outstanding here as well. I really like the first image here, it's great.

Please visit the Toronto Digital Darkroom Forum

Best regards Dennis
  • dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Forget the deer, that first shot is outstanding.