RapidFetcher - Bulk download galleries for Mac/Win/Linux

Comments

• raamraam Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    You have to be logged in to be able to see unlisted galleries.

Ram
    JPeterman wrote:
    Is there any way to make RF download from unlisted galleries? Does anyone know of another piece of software that will do this? I've looked around and I can't find anything. RF seems like one of the best downloaders I've found for SmugMug and the option to see and download unlisted galleries would make it even better!
  • JPetermanJPeterman Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    In RF yes. In SmugMug no. In SmugMug a guest can see an unlisted gallery if they are given the direct link. I'd like to also give them a way to easily download the full gallery. However, I don't want to give them my account login information. Seems like RF and other dowloaders could be able to accept a direct link to an unlisted gallery as input rather than only an account name.
    raam wrote:
    You have to be logged in to be able to see unlisted galleries.

Ram
    edited April 8, 2010
    I see what you mean. This is a feature I can add.

Ram
    JPeterman wrote:
    In RF yes. In SmugMug no. In SmugMug a guest can see an unlisted gallery if they are given the direct link. I'd like to also give them a way to easily download the full gallery. However, I don't want to give them my account login information. Seems like RF and other dowloaders could be able to accept a direct link to an unlisted gallery as input rather than only an account name.
    edited April 8, 2010
    That would be great! Looking forward to it.
    JP

raam wrote:
    I see what you mean. This is a feature I can add.

Ram
  • beccalynnebeccalynne Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2010
    O KB load
    raam wrote:
    This problem seems to occur frequently. Let me check into it this weekend.

Ram

Please let me know when you have looked into this as well. I am having the same issue as #91.

Downloaded the program, can open it, pull down my album list. I was able to download two of the galleries selected. However on the other albums, there are 0KB image files with no actual pics.

I am working with Windows XP.

Thanks,

Rebecca
    edited April 8, 2010
    As a poster #87 pointed out, for many people this problem is caused by having the "External Links" setting to "off". For my SmugMug account, galleries that allow external links download fine and galleries that don't allow external links have the problem described below.
    JP

beccalynne wrote:
    Please let me know when you have looked into this as well. I am having the same issue as #91.

Downloaded the program, can open it, pull down my album list. I was able to download two of the galleries selected. However on the other albums, there are 0KB image files with no actual pics.

I am working with Windows XP.

Thanks,

Rebecca
  • dawn5282dawn5282 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    raam wrote:
    I don't think the order is preserved even when I get the list of files from SmugMug. Have you ried arranging it by date of creation? The other thing I can think of is naming the file with an index 001_, but that will be cumbersome for you. I can look into it for the next version.

Thanks,
    Ram
    Well, not all my galleries are organized by date, and some that are are thrown off by older scanned photos, photos received from others (some of whom have incorrect dates on their cameras), etc. But yes, being able to sort by date order would get me 90% to where I want to be. However, most -- but not all -- of my downloaded photos have no camera data anymore; sorting by "picture taken on" date doesn't work because the only date for most files is the date downloaded. I double-checked the same pictures in SmugMug and the camera info is there in Smugmug. It's strange, though -- like I said, this is true for most but not all pictures; some do still have the date attached. And it's random -- of the photos that still show camera data, some are older photos, some newer; no pattern I can discern, and it differs within the same gallery. But the majority of pics have no more "date taken" info, or any other camera info.

I understand what you're saying, this may be a SmugMug issue rather than an issue with RapidFetcher. Don't know that there's anything you can do. But I appreciate you looking into it.

By the way, I tried individually downloading from SmugMug (using the Owner Save button) one of the same photos that had no camera data anymore when I downloaded via RapidFetcher. The SmugMug Owner Save route preserved all camera data including Date Taken.

Thanks again for the nifty program; this is a small issue, I'm otherwise very happy with it!
  • dawn5282dawn5282 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    dawn5282 wrote:
    Well, not all my galleries are organized by date, and some that are are thrown off by older scanned photos, photos received from others (some of whom have incorrect dates on their cameras), etc. But yes, being able to sort by date order would get me 90% to where I want to be. However, most -- but not all -- of my downloaded photos have no camera data anymore; sorting by "picture taken on" date doesn't work because the only date for most files is the date downloaded. I double-checked the same pictures in SmugMug and the camera info is there in Smugmug. It's strange, though -- like I said, this is true for most but not all pictures; some do still have the date attached. And it's random -- of the photos that still show camera data, some are older photos, some newer; no pattern I can discern, and it differs within the same gallery. But the majority of pics have no more "date taken" info, or any other camera info.

I understand what you're saying, this may be a SmugMug issue rather than an issue with RapidFetcher. Don't know that there's anything you can do. But I appreciate you looking into it.

By the way, I tried individually downloading from SmugMug (using the Owner Save button) one of the same photos that had no camera data anymore when I downloaded via RapidFetcher. The SmugMug Owner Save route preserved all camera data including Date Taken.

Thanks again for the nifty program; this is a small issue, I'm otherwise very happy with it!

UPDATE: I found a solution! (sorta): If I download Original URL size with RapidFetcher, the photo data is there. Previously I was downloading XXXL size, which did not preserve photo data.
  • mountainpzmountainpz Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    dawn5282 wrote:
    UPDATE: I found a solution! (sorta): If I download Original URL size with RapidFetcher, the photo data is there. Previously I was downloading XXXL size, which did not preserve photo data.

Hi Ram,

Absolutely love RapidFetcher. However it'd be great if one could download images without the watermarks. Is there anything new regarding that issue?

Thanks!
    - Paul

Paul Zizka Photography: zizka.smugmug.com
    The Blog - Twitter - Facebook
  • maigaardmaigaard Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Downloading videos of various sizes
    Thanks for a great app!
    I am trying to download albums with videos in both VGA (640) and 1280.

Now, I thought I could just choose 1280 and it would take 1280 _or the highest available_ but it simply downloads nothing if 1280 is not there.

Is there any chance you can add a "take the highest resolution there is" option (like the Original option for photos)?

The solution I can see now is to first try to download videos at 1280. Then at 960. Then at 640 etc. Once you have gone through all of them, you have all the highest res. videos (and I think copies of it all in lower res also).

Everything works fine for photos. The new subcategory folder stuff is fantastic. The video resolution thing is the only thing bothering me a bit (if you can even say that about free software).

/Soren
    edited April 12, 2010
    I have a similar problem. The videos I want to download are 720p. If I choose 1280 I get nothing. Both the 960 and 640 settings download 640. ie, I can't download the HD video using RF. Might make more sense to use SmugMugs wordings here. "Web, iPod/DVD, Mid-Def, Hi-Def" I'm assuming these are all fixed resolution with the exception of "Hi-Def", which can be 720 or 1080 depending on the source.
    JP

maigaard wrote:
    Thanks for a great app!
    I am trying to download albums with videos in both VGA (640) and 1280.

Now, I thought I could just choose 1280 and it would take 1280 _or the highest available_ but it simply downloads nothing if 1280 is not there.

Is there any chance you can add a "take the highest resolution there is" option (like the Original option for photos)?

The solution I can see now is to first try to download videos at 1280. Then at 960. Then at 640 etc. Once you have gone through all of them, you have all the highest res. videos (and I think copies of it all in lower res also).

Everything works fine for photos. The new subcategory folder stuff is fantastic. The video resolution thing is the only thing bothering me a bit (if you can even say that about free software).

/Soren
  • jirijiri Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    raam, first let me say this is awesome app and works great for me. bowdown.gif

I'm not AIR developer so excuse my simple minded question, please. Would it be possible to use "just" Adobe Flash to do the same? If that would be possible, then there would be no need for installation, .... it could be a web site with hosted flash app. It could be even embedded to each Gallery on smugmug site.
    edited April 18, 2010
    Glad you are finding RapidFetcher useful. Adobe Flash does not allow access to the drive (creating directories + sub-directories). Also, over time I would like to add features to allow people to sync (and upload) images.

Ram
    jiri wrote:
    raam, first let me say this is awesome app and works great for me. bowdown.gif

I'm not AIR developer so excuse my simple minded question, please. Would it be possible to use "just" Adobe Flash to do the same? If that would be possible, then there would be no need for installation, .... it could be a web site with hosted flash app. It could be even embedded to each Gallery on smugmug site.
  • speedyggspeedygg Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2010
    Problem with ':' in gallery name
    Hi Raam,
    Getting ready for end of year soccer party for my daughter's team and was looking for a tool that would allow parents to download the pictures themselves. Came across your tool and it seems to work almost perfectly. In my tests, there was one gallery that your program stumbled on (ie stopped downloading). This morning I started comparing the gallery with others and noticed that this particular gallery had a ':' in its name. I suspect that your program is getting confused and treating the string as a drive letter.

No worries now, I changed the ':' to a '-' and now it works flawlessly (so far).

Thanks very much for providing this tool and have a great weekend!
    -Pabloclap.gif
  • officialphotographerofficialphotographer Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Hi Raam
    Hey, I love this little app and it installs easy and works like a charm. I got a feature question for ya ;-)

Is it possible to add some sort of client login so they can download all images straight from a particular gallery, but not have access to all galleries?

As an example, I shoot real estate, but don't want one agency/agent to have access to another agencies/agents images. Not to mention all my other files?

Regards
    Mike
  • alldarkalldark Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2010
    0kb
    Thanks for looking into this problem.

The 0KB issue was fixed for some of my photos by globally setting External links to "on" for all my galleries but there were still quite a few photos that still were downloading as 0KB.

I am really looking forward to being able to use RF as a method of syncing my Smugmug account to my offline backups. Also looking forward to video download option for "highest quality available". I have too many videos uploaded in different resolutions, can't remember what is where to make downloading videos easy.
    JPeterman wrote: »
    As a poster #87 pointed out, for many people this problem is caused by having the "External Links" setting to "off". For my SmugMug account, galleries that allow external links download fine and galleries that don't allow external links have the problem described below.
    JP
  • WindowshooterWindowshooter Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2010
    I tried to download your program along with Adobe Air and kept getting an error message that said to "contact my administrator" unable to download???? Any help appreciated here. I do want to use and download the program and I am "The Administrator of this computer but it still seems to think there is a problem???HELP

"Windowshooter"
  • sakgfsakgf Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2010
    Hi Raam - is something going on with RapidFetcher?? I downloaded it very easily just a couple of weeks ago and it was working great. I've just had a computer upgrade and am trying to download RF again, and it just keeps giving me a zipped folder with all sorts of files in it (me non-IT savvy) and I have no idea how to actually install it. Any ideas?
    edited May 5, 2010
    You need administrative rights to download and install the program. Perhaps you need to login as an admin to install the program, and you are currently logged in as a non-admin user. You can also right click, and select "run as administrator..." if you have that option.

Ram
    I tried to download your program along with Adobe Air and kept getting an error message that said to "contact my administrator" unable to download???? Any help appreciated here. I do want to use and download the program and I am "The Administrator of this computer but it still seems to think there is a problem???HELP

"Windowshooter"
    edited May 5, 2010
    You may have to install Adobe AIR again. But, it should be as simple as hitting the install button on the webpage.

Ram
    sakgf wrote: »
    Hi Raam - is something going on with RapidFetcher?? I downloaded it very easily just a couple of weeks ago and it was working great. I've just had a computer upgrade and am trying to download RF again, and it just keeps giving me a zipped folder with all sorts of files in it (me non-IT savvy) and I have no idea how to actually install it. Any ideas?
  • VooDudeVooDude Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2010
    Request for an enhancement to RapidFetcher
    I have a request for a modification to RapidFetcher:

Given only the URL to a gallery, and the password for that particular gallery, allow the download of the images from just that one gallery.

I keep all of my galleries hidden and password protected.
    I really don't want to give *MY* owner password out to others.

When I shoot pics for a friend, I set up a gallery for that shoot, or for that friend. I give the URL and the password to that friend. He can pass out that URL and that gallery password to whomever he wants to. He and his friends will never see that I have other galleries, and they will not see the images in those other galleries.

I think that the current version of RapidFetcher requries MY user ID and MY password, so my friend's friend would be able to see ALL of my galleries, and could even delete them, or create new (and possibly embarrassing) galleries using MY id and password... The same is true of the old AlbumFetcher application... it required that the gallery be... I forget the term, public, published, not hidden... some term like that, or, alternatively,
    it required that I hand over *MY* smugmug user ID and password...
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Halting after first download
    Hello- I love the program! Thats first, I was working with the 2.8 today and after the first download of any of the files the stops and doesnt continue.

Once I click download again, it starts at number 2, and stops, then redownload 3. then stops. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  • PBYLucindaPBYLucinda Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2010
    Rapid Fether not working
    raam wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I wrote a tiny Adobe AIR application that pulls images/videos from people's galleries. The application (and download instructions) can be found here . It's very early - does the basic stuff. It would be great if I could get your feedback / request features.

Ram

If you downloaded a previous version of RapidFetcher, you may have to manually delete it in order to install the latest version (Ver 0.26)

Installation Instructions
    1. Download and install Adobe AIR installer from here: http://get.adobe.com/air/ (if you don't have it installed already)
    1. Go to this page: http://rf-smugmug.appspot.com/latest/index.html
    2. Click on the Install Now button
    3. Click "Open" in the dialog. (This should install RapidFetcher in your Applications Directory)

===========================================
    UPDATE [Version 0.27] (Jan 4, 2010)

1. Automatic check for a newer version on startup.
    2. Faster download speeds.

UPDATE [Version 0.26] (Jan 2, 2010)

1. Added support for downloading into separate directories per category/subcategory/album
    2. Added better integration of progress.
    3. Added support for Album specific passwords
    4. Fixed filenames to reflect the names given while uploading.

UPDATE [Version 0.21] (March 4, 2009)

1. Fixed a bug that prevented images to be downloaded from Subcategories.

UPDATE [Version 0.20] (Feb 19, 2009)

1. Now allows Original downloads.
    2. Logout button added.
    3. Added Progress bar on downloads.

So I just installed rapid fetcher and when I try to download my galleries they save to my desktop but the files are zero KB. I have tried all the different picture sizes and can 't get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Lucinda
  • Ching1Ching1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    I crated an album on smugmug called folio in my photography category...

6xvwvm.jpg

I wanted to download it with RapidFetcher.. but when i log in Rapidfetcher cannot even see the album at all.. its not in the list.

jj6449.jpg

Nice idea... shame it does not work...ne_nau.gif

I then tried to download the contents of an album that it could see. This album contained 178 photos... Rapidfetcher only downloaded 35 of them before quitting on me.
  • ADubinADubin Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    RapidFethcher Doesn't Work
    I just downloaded Adobe Air, RapidFetcher and donated $13.99, and it doesn't work on my MacBook Pro with OS Snow Leopard V 10.6.3. All I get is the file name downloaded names with zero file size. I tried from it from tiny image to original URL. What must I do to fix this problem??? ADubin
    edited May 22, 2010
    As I replied to you by email, I will fix this, and refund your donation.

Usually, this is due to a network transfer error (and is transient). However, to help me debug this, can you give me the names of your albums. I'd like to see if there is specific in your case.

Ram
    ADubin wrote: »
    I just downloaded Adobe Air, RapidFetcher and donated $13.99, and it doesn't work on my MacBook Pro with OS Snow Leopard V 10.6.3. All I get is the file name downloaded names with zero file size. I tried from it from tiny image to original URL. What must I do to fix this problem??? ADubin
    edited May 22, 2010
    Response to RAM Inquiry
    First let me thank you for your quick response. I really appreciated it.

The Album Title I just tried again is Naples, Fl Vacation - April 2010 and it came with zero file again. Is there any other things I need to worried about setting up associated RapidFetcher V.28 on my Mac? ADubin

raam wrote: »
    As I replied to you by email, I will fix this, and refund your donation.

Usually, this is due to a network transfer error (and is transient). However, to help me debug this, can you give me the names of your albums. I'd like to see if there is specific in your case.

Ram
    edited May 22, 2010
    More Inputs On my Problem
    I was trying to download some more photos from my website this morning and notice that there was no info that show what photo and % download to complete that I saw only once this morning that appear just below the log-in area on the RapidFetcher window. Maybe this will help ID this issue I'm having. ADubin

ADubin wrote: »
    First let me thank you for your quick response. I really appreciated it.

The Album Title I just tried again is Naples, Fl Vacation - April 2010 and it came with zero file again. Is there any other things I need to worried about setting up associated RapidFetcher V.28 on my Mac? ADubin
  • NomanizanNomanizan Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2010
    No Luck
    I am unable to get this program to work properly. I installed the app twice, no go.

The app is downloading the gallery structure but only create 0 or 55kb files.

I really need help.

Rob
  • lmbprincesslmbprincess Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2010
    can anyone help me please???
    I love this uploaded, but today I have been having a problem. I see it downloading (57 of 147....) and it completes all the downloading, but in my destination folder, there are only 23 photos? Any suggestions would be more than appreciated!

UPDATE!!!

I noticed the names of the pictures were copied over and over (Bridget 2 was labeled on 5 different photos) so I erased all the labels...now there are none. SO....I will now try to label them numerically...

WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR CAPTION/KEYWORDS??? THIS IS THE QUESTION.