The Rhine River, Germany

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 18, 2007 in Journeys
I was fortunate to attend Photokina this year, in Cologne, Germany. Even more fortunate to have Ivar join me after the show, for a bit of weekend shooting on the Rhine River, and the Pfaltz National Park.

First stop, Cologne at Night:

The Cathedrals dominate the skyline of Cologne. This first shots just as the sun was setting...
99983066-L.jpg

100003417-L.jpg

And later, after dark:
98482489-L.jpg

My hotel was near the main railway station, The Hauptbanhof:
100003520-L.jpg

98556626-L.jpg

The nightlife is pretty busy.
100003503-L.jpg

Well, after the show concluded, on Saturday afternoon, we begun our Journey down the Rhine Valley. I had as my wingman, Ivar Borst and we just had a ball. They let you drive *really* fast in Germany :lol3

Here's our SmugMobile for the weekend
99875924-L.jpg

99948494-L.jpg

Me at 200kph :rofl
99948679-L.jpg

Not to far from the City of Koblenz, down the Rhine, we encountered the first of the many many Castles that line the river. So many, it's hard to count them. It's a visual treat, really. The weather did not cooperate though, and this was our only really fair weather shot of the weekend - most everything else was shot under grey, flat conditions - though with such beauty, it didn't dampen the good time we had!

99988007-L.jpg

We stopped for lunch in the little village of Boppard...
99988231-L.jpg

Turns out, it was "Wine Fest" and there were winos from all over Europe there, to celebrate :lol3 Folks kind of spontaneously burst out into song - music - dance. This guy on the squeezebox was really good!

99988296-L.jpg

99989505-L.jpg

This group was quite animated. It was really cool to see people singing, dancing, just having a blast for the sake of the grape!
99991846-L.jpg

And a bit later we came upon the Dutch contingent:
99992268-L.jpg

We found yet more castles, here are a few views:
99989839-L.jpg

99990097-L.jpg

99990166-L.jpg

99990690-L.jpg

One thing that was truly amazing, notice the grapevines - they are growing them all up and down the Rhine like this, on the steepest hills you can imagine..

99990309-L.jpg

Hopefully Ivar will add some pics to this cool weekend Journey :D Thanks for looking!

Comments

• ellykoggleellykoggle Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2006
    Beautiful pics!
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    yes those are beautiful pics, the castles built right on the side of the hill along with the grapevines is awesome
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Interesting.
    A granny can so easily imagine herself walking down one of those streets you show. I love that!
    -Robin
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    A nice series
    I liked the church with the birds flying and the setting sun tucked in the corner. And wow, what a modern looking train station!

I was wondering if you'd rent a Mercedes and hit the limit of the car's speed on the autobahm -- hehe, you did!rolleyes1.gif

Love the crowd scenes too!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Neat shots, Andy. Of course the cathedrals are absolutely amazing. I love the hustle-bustle of the crowd in the night-life shot. Did you get a shot of Ivar's white knuckles while you were driving? rolleyes1.gif
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    WOW...

Awesome shots Andy... thumb.gif
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Great series Andy. Wonderful pictures and an enjoyable story.

I first made this drive in 1963 (yes, 43 years ago - shows what an old f*** I have become :lol).

Nice to see that it still looks pretty much the same - at least the castles and vineyards are still there rolleyes1.gif.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Hi guys, these are a few already, I have not had time to process them, these are all straight from the camera. I will change them soon.

Boppard, along the Rhine:
    99976588-L.jpg

100034136-L-1.jpg

Amphibian car in Bingen:
    99972548-L.jpg

99972378-L-2.jpg

Part of the party crowd (see Andy's post)
    100245695-L-1.jpg

100244592-L.jpg

99971332-L.jpg

German graffiti:
    100244441-L.jpg

A night shot from the church in Filsen:
    99973601-L.jpg

100038447-L-1.jpg
  • Jayhawk1993Jayhawk1993 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Great Pics Andy! I don't know if I should thank you for sharing the great pics or if I should be mad since my wife and I have been dying to return to Germany since we last visited in 2002! rolleyes1.gif

We were so fortunate to have spent time in Germany. One of our favorite places is Rothenburg ob der Tauber. If you're bored, here's the link to some of our pics--nothing as incredible as yours, but i think we captured the quaint essence of this small medival little town.

http://ashmore.smugmug.com/gallery/1837461/1/92309956

Mica
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Great Pics Andy! I don't know if I should thank you for sharing the great pics or if I should be mad since my wife and I have been dying to return to Germany since we last visited in 2002! rolleyes1.gif

We were so fortunate to have spent time in Germany. One of our favorite places is Rothenburg ob der Tauber. If you're bored, here's the link to some of our pics--nothing as incredible as yours, but i think we captured the quaint essence of this small medival little town.

http://ashmore.smugmug.com/gallery/1837461/1/92309956

Mica
    Oh yeah: http://ashmore.smugmug.com/gallery/1837461/1/92309804

clap.gif
  • Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Lovely photos
    Hi Guys:
    As many others have stated, these are beautiful photos. I really like the night photos. We have not been back to Germany since 2000. We did a one day Rhine cruise at that time. Funny...my pictures didn't look like this bowdown.gif.
    I will show these to my wife....that ought to get us back there quickly.

Thanks for sharing

Dan
    Dan
    Mickey57
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 8, 2006
    Very nice. Did you stop and visit many of the castles?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy ... get back to me
    Hi Andy, finally had a little time on Thanksgiving Monday (Canadian) to do some lurking. I love your photos but the one thing that stands out is the refreshing lack of hydro and telephone poles and wires. Is this sort of distraction typically absent in Europe or did you have to work your compositions to avoid them?

Glennie and I live in the most beautiful city in Canada but when I go downtown instead of out to the countryside and try to get my head out of "landscape mode" and into "city mode" I find that the cityscape is so busy with "junk" that I can't photograph it in a way that brings out the beauty and character that I see in this city.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    lack of hydro and telephone poles and wires

hydro? telephone? wires? explain the concept...

Nah, just kidding, in these parts much of the wiring is done underground. So no obstructions in your images.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited October 9, 2006
    Hi Andy, finally had a little time on Thanksgiving Monday (Canadian) to do some lurking. I love your photos but the one thing that stands out is the refreshing lack of hydro and telephone poles and wires. Is this sort of distraction typically absent in Europe or did you have to work your compositions to avoid them?

Glennie and I live in the most beautiful city in Canada but when I go downtown instead of out to the countryside and try to get my head out of "landscape mode" and into "city mode" I find that the cityscape is so busy with "junk" that I can't photograph it in a way that brings out the beauty and character that I see in this city.

Bob
    :D
    101243029-L-0.jpg

and some crops:
    101243173-M-0.jpg

101243161-M-0.jpg
    edited October 9, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    hydro? telephone? wires? explain the concept...

Nah, just kidding, in these parts much of the wiring is done underground. So no obstructions in your images.
    but lots of windmills!
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    but lots of windmills!

Yeah, Germany is famous for them! Nice shots, both Andy and Ivar. I only pass through that area, going from my country to my brother's place in Northern Italy, but it looks like it's nice enough to make a little stop there the next time.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy,
    Very cool,
    thank you for sharing your adventures with us! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Hello Andy and everyone! I just joined after being a Smugmug member for a couple of years, and I am REALLY loving these photos. Germany is my favorite international destination so far, and I am completely blown away by your photos. I love how you started in Köin, especially as the Döm was the chief reason why I went last spring, but never got to see it because we had to cut the itinerary short. I think that your photos make it as beautiful as it possibly can be and I don't feel quite as sad now that I'm seeing them here.

:D

I really am looking forward to seeing more photos from you and everyone else!
  • Mike AMike A Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Your photos are making me homesick Andy. I think the wife and I need to move back... :cry

I'll dig up some of my better Germany pics..
    Mike A.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Superb photos Andy and great trip ! mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PetersCreekPetersCreek Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Great images, all! I finished my four years in Germany back in '99 when I moved to Alaska. Man, I wanna go back for a visit in the worst way.
    edited October 21, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    99972378-Th-2.jpg

w00t clap.gifclap.gif
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Absolutely stunning pictures...you are a true artist.clap.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    cuckoo^2
    Not a technically outstanding photo, but it makes me smile for some reason.

111333092-L.jpg
  • jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Fantastic photos and great to see you had a good time in Germany. Once I get my new account here at Smugmug sorted, I'll start posting some of my German shots as well.

You guys really have a good eye for capturing facinating details.
  • Blonde MomentBlonde Moment Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Great Stuff.

In the early 90's, my wife and I lived in Luxembourg with is situated on the Moselle River. We travelled around Germany, France, Belgium, Holland and Switzerland.

We found it very interesting that all the German towns looked fantastic and the French towns looked very run down.

We did not realise it at the beginning, but most of the German twons had been rebuilt after WW2 as there was not much left from bombing. The German people rebuilt from memory and the towns looked 400 years old when most buildings where only 50 years old.

Very few French buildings where bombed, so they are actually 400 years old!

Still, all the places we visited where fasinating. We loved our time there.
    Mark
    Darwin, Australia
    Nikon D2X, F5, 17-35 AFS f2.8, 50AFD f1.4, 50 AFD f1.8, 85 AFD f1.4, 200 AFS VR f2, SB800, Metz 60-CT1
    http://www.bushwalkingholidays.com.au/html/compare.htm
    http://www.travelnt.com/en/explore/darwin/
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    I miss Germany soo much it hurts. 2 years there was NOT enough.. I'm gonna try to get back there. BEautiful night pic @ the bridge. I went on a sals boat ride down the Rhine. Good times. I also topped my buddy's 325i out at 250 clicks...
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Fantastic photos. I love this one of the bridge at night (I've never managed to make that cathedral look anywhere near as attractive).
    Andy wrote:
    98482489-L.jpg
    And this one of the clever German engineering. rolleyes1.gif
    Andy wrote:
    99991846-L.jpg
    edited February 8, 2007
    Spagbag wrote:
    Fantastic photos. I love this one of the bridge at night (I've never managed to make that cathedral look anywhere near as attractive).
    And this one of the clever German engineering. rolleyes1.gif
    Extras.

I never noticed that chair! clap.gif