Options

Keywords

susanholtsusanholt Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited October 29, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm new to the SEO/Keywords, but wanted to ask you where I might get good keywords to use on my website? When I upload my landscape images there is a section for keywords. How do I find which words work best? Thank you

Susan
www.SusanHoltPhotography.com

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2015
    susanholt wrote: »
    I'm new to the SEO/Keywords, but wanted to ask you where I might get good keywords to use on my website? When I upload my landscape images there is a section for keywords. How do I find which words work best? Thank you

Susan
    www.SusanHoltPhotography.com

I visited your website and and wanted to say "nice work"!

As to keywords.............I hope others can help here, but as a personal note I detest websites / companies that use every conceivable keyword whether applicable or not to draw people to their site.

Try Googling anything.......80% of the hits have nothing to do with what you are seeking,. and your regulated to clicking through website after website to discover if that site might actually have someting related to what your looking for. :cry

Sam

Sam
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2015
    I don't use keywords - at all.
    No philosophical or strategic reason - just lazy.
    So take anything I say with great caution. rolleyes1.gif

I came across this whilst I was looking. Maybe useful - likely useless!!
    http://www.photo-keywords.com/
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2015
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    I don't use keywords - at all.
    No philosophical or strategic reason - just lazy.
    So take anything I say with great caution. rolleyes1.gif

I came across this whilst I was looking. Maybe useful - likely useless!!
    http://www.photo-keywords.com/

I think your right, not much use, at least for me. :D

Sam
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 29, 2015
    I do use keywords to categorize my photos. I assign them based on the subject of the photo, taking care use distinct sets of keywords as opposed to the same sets of words repeated multiple times.

Your keyword page - http://www.susanholtphotography.com/keyword - doesn't look bad but there are some keywords I would recommend cleaning up. I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with the set of keywords starting with your name. If I clicked on the keyword "susan holt" I would expect to see photos of you. I don't. It looks like you are trying to draw attention to a set of photos but I don't believe anyone would search for those photos using your name.

Think about what you are trying to accomplish with your keywords.

This is not related to your question but it's something I think you might want to consider - your web site does not have a header on it. There is no indication of a site name or logo. Don't you think a site name on the page would be appropriate (as opposed to some blank space at the top of the page)?

--- Denise
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2015
    Since most of my business is in licensing photos, keywording and captioning my images has been part of my standard workflow for years. The best way to think about keywording is to put yourself in the shoes of the person you hope will find your image and imagine what words they would use to search for that perfect image. The proper name of the subject, location, time of day, main color of the photo, scientific names of plants and animals if appropriate, any major features of the photo, the mood of the image, any conceptual terms related to the image (success, fear, winning, confusion, loneliness), if you license for editorial/commercial usage it helps to state the gender(s) of any people included, and I often include phrases such as "room for copy", "blue sky for copy" because it was common at one of the agencies, and I often horizontal/vertical/square/panorama. Make your keywords unique to each image. If you need more inspiration, visit a stock site like Alamy or Getty and look at the keywords used on similar images.

Google used to have a free keyword tool, but a few years ago they made it available only to people with an AdWords account. If you have an AdWords account you might want to take a look at it.