My journey through disability

2»

Comments

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Nee7x7 wrote: »
    Your story and photos are so inspiring. But I'm curious...did you ever get a definite diagnosis? Maybe I missed it. Are you able to walk or do you have some sort of mobility aid? I don't mean to be nosy. It's just that I'm recovering from ankle surgery and I've been stuck in a wheelchair for two months and unable to drive a car and I have to depend on my husband to drive me places, which is a struggle because he drives for his job every day and doesn't feel like going anywhere on his days off. We live in a small rural town and our home is in a suburb, so I'm feeling very creatively challenged. I tried to shoot some flowers in our backyard, but when I attempted to wheel myself onto the lawn the wheelchair went into a low spot and nearly tipped over!

My recovery isn't going so well and there's a question of whether I'll ever be able to walk normally again. So where you've inspired me is that I see your photos of somewhat mundane things done so beautifully, so I guess I have no more excuses! I need to get off my pity party and try some new things instead of moaning about being stuck at home in the suburbs day after day. So thank you. I am going to work on being more creative in spite of my situation and hopefully be able to make some photos I can be proud of.

The Cipro side effect diagnosis is through process of elimination since it matches up and after 100+ tests nothing else does. To get a 100% yes or no would require a biopsy which my doctor does not want to mess around with since I am getting better.

I am able to walk and do most basic life tasks now thanks to 17 pills a day lol3.gif but back when it started I was bed ridden many days. My ankles would give out and since I had severe carpal tunnel a wheelchair wouldn't work (not to mention at the time my apartment was about as unfriendly to disability as you could get).

As for types of photography to do around the house just go into a room and see if there is anything with an interesting texture or shape, it could seem like the stupidest subject for a photo but get over that initial reaction and explore.

Also don't limit yourself by your equipment, one thing to do is get a 3 foot wide roll of background paper (only a few dollars) and this can open up lots of opportunities. You can isolate that cool object you find or even do fake studio work. I did some with a point and shoot camera, a hat that had 2 LED's in the front for lighting, and the background paper, so just push what you have to its limit!
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    The Cipro side effect diagnosis is through process of elimination since it matches up and after 100+ tests nothing else does. To get a 100% yes or no would require a biopsy which my doctor does not want to mess around with since I am getting better.

I am able to walk and do most basic life tasks now thanks to 17 pills a day lol3.gif but back when it started I was bed ridden many days. My ankles would give out and since I had severe carpal tunnel a wheelchair wouldn't work (not to mention at the time my apartment was about as unfriendly to disability as you could get).

As for types of photography to do around the house just go into a room and see if there is anything with an interesting texture or shape, it could seem like the stupidest subject for a photo but get over that initial reaction and explore.

Also don't limit yourself by your equipment, one thing to do is get a 3 foot wide roll of background paper (only a few dollars) and this can open up lots of opportunities. You can isolate that cool object you find or even do fake studio work. I did some with a point and shoot camera, a hat that had 2 LED's in the front for lighting, and the background paper, so just push what you have to its limit!

Thanks! I'll have to give it a try. Getting around the house in a wheelchair is pretty challenging, too! Today my husband was very sick and I had to go to Rite Aid to get him some anti-nausea medicine. I had to wheel my wheelchair up to the car door, get in and leave the wheelchair behind. I was able to drive (but gingerly), got my hubby the medicine at the drive up window and made it home. It's so incredibly challenging to do stuff when you are physically debilitated. You have to be creative just to manage everyday living (but it sure wears you out!). Kudos to you for not only managing with a disability, but taking great photos in spite of it. You rock!!~ Nee :)

ps. I was given Cipro recently for a sinus infection but didn't react too well to it, so the doc switched me to a different med. Can't believe it's still being prescribed by doctors when it has such terrible side effects! Hope you get well soon and you can finally quit taking all those pills. Best wishes to you...
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Nee7x7 wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll have to give it a try. Getting around the house in a wheelchair is pretty challenging, too! Today my husband was very sick and I had to go to Rite Aid to get him some anti-nausea medicine. I had to wheel my wheelchair up to the car door, get in and leave the wheelchair behind. I was able to drive (but gingerly), got my hubby the medicine at the drive up window and made it home. It's so incredibly challenging to do stuff when you are physically debilitated. You have to be creative just to manage everyday living (but it sure wears you out!). Kudos to you for not only managing with a disability, but taking great photos in spite of it. You rock!!~ Nee :)

ps. I was given Cipro recently for a sinus infection but didn't react too well to it, so the doc switched me to a different med. Can't believe it's still being prescribed by doctors when it has such terrible side effects! Hope you get well soon and you can finally quit taking all those pills. Best wishes to you...

Thanks, they put a black box warning on it 6 months after I took it but doctors still have no idea about it.

Give it time you will adapt, it wont be back to 100% functionality for daily choirs back but a lot better than where you are at now. For me it was things like opening doors where using my legs to push/pull became normal or carrying bags in my elbow bent. It is just random things you try and find out they work great, like having blankets on my lap to rest my hands while holding the wheel driving (completely random discovery there).
  • Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I just read through your incredible story and enjoyed looking through your photographs immensely. Your talent is obvious. Wishing you all the best with your recovery and your future aspirations.
    Lesley