Options

When to use Smart Galleries?

LivingstonLivingston Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited February 10, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Started organizing our photos, and have gotten a few uploaded in order to have some images to work with. I'm using pages with a preferred image and keywords on the homepage. This allows, for example, an image of one of our pets to be displayed, and a click on the image displays all photos with the pet's name (keyword),

Recently read a little about smart galleries and have thought about whether (and when) to use them. Could use a little advice.

First, I understand storage is unlimited, but, if I'm reading things right, a smart gallery makes a copy of the image (in my case, stored in a Portfolio folder structure). Is the fact that the SG does this ever of concern?

Second, a smart gallery and a page that selects via keywords provide the same function. The key difference appears to be that additional selection criteria (rules) can be added to the SG. If true, what scenarios would be better accomplished through the use of SGs?

Finally, is the use of smart galleries highly dependent on the folder structure and its keywords, etc.? If so, is there an organizing structure that is better designed for the use of these galleries?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Liv

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited February 7, 2016
    I use smart galleries when I want to place a photo in multiple galleries and I don't want to upload it twice. I tend to use galleries defined to reference keywords as opposed to individually selecting the photos to be included in the smart gallery.

An example of a smart gallery using a keyword on my site is my top photos :: 2015.

As far as I know the smart galleries use a reference to the original photo; I don't think the photo is duplicated. Someone from SmugMug will need to confirm that.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2016
    Like the collect photos feature, smart galleries only create virtual copies of photos. If you delete the original photo, the collected and smart gallery photos would be removed as well.

Smart galleries don't really rely on folder structure at all. As long as a photo resides in a public or unlisted gallery, you can target it with a smart gallery rule, e.g. if the photo has a specific keyword, or was taken / uploaded at a certain date etc.

You can also create different rules for a smart gallery and you could then choose if all rules have to apply for a photo to be included, or if you'd like to include photos that match any of the include rules.

For details on smart galleries, you can also check out the help page if you haven't looked at it yet.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    After overcoming my innate skepticism, I am now using Smart Galleries for most of my public galleries and feeling more comfortable with them. The ability to include/exclude keyword combinations is really great for allowing me to display exactly what I want using virtual photos...easy to use. And allows the display of the same photo, from an unlisted gallery if I choose, in multiple public galleries. Great tool! clap.gif
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)