LPS#18 seconds or milliseconds? frustration

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited December 15, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I really don't get the theme this time? First of all these are both units of time, not really oposite themes... All I can think of is shooting something fast or faster... I'm really having a hard time with this concept... does anyone else feel this way? or do you get it? if so please explain your thoughts or ideas? It makes it even harder without guidence or input from Master Shay, the mighty and all powerful LPS Guru... :bow Anyway, I took a break and enjoyed watching LPS 17 developments from the sidelines, thinking I would jump back in this round... Now my mind is decaying trying to get wrapped around this concept of shooting seconds or milliseconds... I keep thinking I should shoot a running stop watch...:huh

Winston

Comments

• OzoneOzone Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I really don't get the theme this time? First of all these are both units of time, not really oposite themes... All I can think of is shooting something fast or faster... I'm really having a hard time with this concept... does anyone else feel this way? or do you get it? if so please explain your thoughts or ideas? It makes it even harder without guidence or input from Master Shay, the mighty and all powerful LPS Guru... bowdown.gif Anyway, I took a break and enjoyed watching LPS 17 developments from the sidelines, thinking I would jump back in this round... Now my mind is decaying trying to get wrapped around this concept of shooting seconds or milliseconds... I keep thinking I should shoot a running stop watch...eek7.gif

Winston
    As near as I can tell, this is about quick and very fast. But seconds can be a minute, etc. and milliseconds can be a second. You catch my drift, I hope. Actually, a stopwatch with the old sweep type second hand, perhaps with the second hand in motion blur against a runner in the background might be a millisecond or even seconds type of picture.

I hope you aren't as confused as before. I have several ideas, but it will take some time to work them out. (I have the time-I'm on vacation until Jan.)
    Ozone
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    From my point of view, since these were stated to be technical rounds, I understood it to mean using slow or very fast shutter speeds. Obviously there will be multiple interpretations of the theme, as there always are, but I beleive that stopping motion or showing motion in any way will cover this one.

Have fun with it...there really are so many possibilities!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Just a couple of alternative ideas for "Seconds" :

1) A geographic measurement system
    b) Off-quality, defective, or substandard
    iii) What you didn't get when your hungry partners got there first :eat

Milliseconds:

Going back for the tiny extra sliver of pie a thousand times (guilty).
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    From my point of view, since these were stated to be technical rounds, I understood it to mean using slow or very fast shutter speeds. Obviously there will be multiple interpretations of the theme, as there always are, but I beleive that stopping motion or showing motion in any way will cover this one.

Have fun with it...there really are so many possibilities!
    15524779-Ti.gif

if you're shooting ar 1/1000 you're only capturing 1 millisecond of light if you're shooting for a full second, you'll capture quite a bit more light ande depending on what you're shooting there can be a lot of motion in that shot.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif

if you're shooting ar 1/1000 you're only capturing 1 millisecond of light if you're shooting for a full second, you'll capture quite a bit more light ande depending on what you're shooting there can be a lot of motion in that shot.

Soooo... basically you're saying, any really great shot using a real fast shutter speed or a real slow shutter speed... makes sence, I guess...

Winston
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    i have been brainstoming also....
    more like hit my head on the wall

anyway, i may be way off, but i think im going to do a night shot of the local airport with 60sec exposure....
    also i was thinking of doing the freeway at night....
    i just dont know....
    i figured there would be 10 entries of clocks.....

so to answer you : i dont get it either...i would like to see hours instead of seconds...or maybe years....

maybe it is all about the shutter speed....?
    Aaron Nelson
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Just a couple of alternative ideas for "Seconds" :

1) A geographic measurement system
    b) Off-quality, defective, or substandard

Milliseconds:

Going back for the tiny extra sliver of pie a thousand times (guilty).

Does that mean that it is okay to reshoot the gluttony sequences??? rolleyes1.gifSign me up as the subject. clap.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Soooo... basically you're saying, any really great shot using a real fast shutter speed or a real slow shutter speed... makes sence, I guess...

Winston

Yeah, but shooting a stationary object with really faster shutter speed, in my opinion wouldn't meet the theme. That shot can be made regardless of the shutter speed. Its capturing the motion over time that will make this shot fir the theme IMO. I could be wrong, but thats how I understand this challenge.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I was struggling with this theme too. The notion of speed crossed my mind as did Paul's notion of "seconds" binge.gif:D .

Never did think of the off-quality or defective perspective.

This ought to be a most interesting round once it gets going.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Why'd they have to do this topic once the race season is over and done with!?:cry
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • AequitasAequitas Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Yeah, but shooting a stationary object with really faster shutter speed, in my opinion wouldn't meet the theme. That shot can be made regardless of the shutter speed. Its capturing the motion over time that will make this shot fir the theme IMO. I could be wrong, but thats how I understand this challenge.

Or capturing a shot NOT over time... Like freezing something that you would not typically be able to see. A flash only lasts about 1/5 a milisecond on the long end. mwink.gif
    Because I always forget it in my posts www.jwolfordphotography.com (Out of commission till I get a job at my new campus and renew my subscription)
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    My center-of-the-road take on this theme is

Seconds = significant blurred motion
    Milliseconds = dramatically stopped motion

Beyond that, I think there is plenty of room to play with time in this theme. It looks like a lot of fun to me.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    ... All I can think of is shooting something fast or faster...

Hey, the way I read the theme, it says secondS or millisecondS, not second or millisecond, so we can also see it as meaning perhaps "slow or slower" (slow or more slowly) depending on adjective or adverb. The plural indicates that there can be multiples of the time increments. So the photo can represent a lot of things...

OK, back into the philosophy classroom for a little while!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    My center-of-the-road take on this theme is

Seconds = significant blurred motion
    Milliseconds = dramatically stopped motion

Beyond that, I think there is plenty of room to play with time in this theme. It looks like a lot of fun to me.

I had the same first take on it.

To me, the millisecond theme relies on the decisive moment concept, triggering the shutter at just the right time to freeze the motion in a scene, whereas the seconds theme is not so much a decisive moment, but capturing movement by blurring time over a longer shutter speed.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • squidddsquiddd Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    What about a reflecting surface, say mirror or water. One side have a very shot exposure to stop motion, another side have a long exposure to blur motion. The subject can be a waterfall or something.
    Welcome to my small landscape gallery:
    http://squiddd.smugmug.com/Landscapes
  • getchphotogetchphoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Ok maybe I will jab you with a second right and a second left! We live in a 3D reality, shooting for a 2D Image to create our own interpretations of whats happening in the realm of the 4D called Time. headscratch.gif Its all about time and the brilliance of energy.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007

Well, scratch that one off my alternate meaning list - "Pardon me sir, may I have another?":hotcake

Oh, and I grew up in a family with 5 kids. Seems Mom always made only 6 or 7 of everything: pork chops, cupcakes, you name it!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac