Question for Wedding Photogs

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 23, 2011 in Weddings
Hello all.

Really need your help. I've been asked by a friend of my wife if I would do a portrait of her and the fiance for their wedding. Basically, they want one photo to display at the wedding/reception... one of those that guests will sign. They're on a budget and getting married on a cruise ship and will have friends/family taking photos. They don't have a budget to have a pro photog shooting the wedding.
  • What size is typically used for these?
  • Can one of you guys give me a link to something similar you've done?
  • What would be a reasonable rate to charge for this?

This will be a location shoot and I will probably take several different poses, maybe 4 or 5. Process all and let them choose one to print. I will have the printing done and give them all finished photos on a disc to keep.

Thanks,

Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    the image itself can be 16x24 (in the teens) with a large white matte back (the border area) for where people sign.

I haven't done one, but I have seen them.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Thanks Moogle. That gives me a good visual. So how wide should the boarder be?

My Smug Site
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Generally 16x20" (min)....but most I have been seeing are 20x30 & 24 x 36 matted (wide mat - 3 or 4 inches wide) .......be sure to recommend they go to a good artisit store and get good quality paint pens that are ARCHIVAL ACID FREE so the siggys do not damage the image
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    so the siggys do not damage the image

Do they actually sign on the photo or just the boarder?

My Smug Site
    edited March 22, 2011
    Do they actually sign on the photo or just the boarder?

Both....a lot of family will sign the mat then comes the best man and he signs the brides dress, then it hath begun:D:D..........also image damage can occur thru the mat.....and no reason to get nice custom mat to only have it signed with a sharpie that down the road will discolor and damage the mat and image........and if it is framed without glass...they tend to go for picture more quickly..........a lot of photogs do 2 here so they do not get cluttered and unreadable.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    I wouldnt make the print that big maybe 8X12, with 4 or 5 inches of matt. How many guests? What your talking about is an engagement shoot. What do those go for in your area ($175-250)?
    edited March 22, 2011
    cj99si wrote: »
    I wouldnt make the print that big maybe 8X12, with 4 or 5 inches of matt. How many guests? What your talking about is an engagement shoot. What do those go for in your area ($175-250)?

These prints are done large so that people will post wishes and such...not merely sign a name and move on.....it is a keepsake.....

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    well 8x12 is probably the lowest with 16x24 as the max.

As for the matte border size:
    * you can do a 2 in border on all sides. Though it might give less space for the guests to write, it does make it tight which can also make the overall image look like patterned graffiti.
    * Or you can do what cj99si suggests with 4 or 5in borders giving more in terms of writing and visual space.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    I've been doing more guest books lately, but about two years ago, these were the norm. Like CJ99, I found and 8 by 10 print worked fine with a very large mat. Michael's always has an assortment of these, pre made and ready to pop the print in. If you browse their store or on line, it will tell you the print size, and you can print accordingly. Some even come with the sharpie. If it's a low budget thing, that might be the most economical route for them to go.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I've done 11x14. I would tell them what your normal rate would be, then offer a session to them at a 'friend discount' or whatever for $100 or so that would include the print (let them sort out the matting/framing issue) and a disc of the images. I would shoot a couple different moods/expressuibs and then let them decide which they like best for the display.

You do lovely work, so I'm sure they'll be satisfied. Good luck!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited March 23, 2011
    Thanks for all the great replies. Has really helped. After speaking again with her, I decided to gift my time to them. I just asked that they pay for the printing and matting. She was very happy.

My Smug Site
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Thanks for all the great replies. Has really helped. After speaking again with her, I decided to gift my time to them. I just asked that they pay for the printing and matting. She was very happy.

Raisins are rotten.....

Sounds like a good plan.

www.framedestination.com