Options

Allow comments without login

13»

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 26, 2016
    photoclick wrote: »
    keeping commenting non-anonymous does not make the comments function any better or worse. It just makes the comments as... non-anonymous.

That's exactly my point: most people have commented on this thread asking for anonymous comments because they believe it will solve the problem of it being difficult for people to comment. I'm arguing that I think we can solve this problem in other ways.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2016
    Actually, most people have commented on this thread telling you that forcing visitors to comment under any sort of account is what makes visitors less and less inclined to comment at all. It's not the difficulty issue, it is a deterrent factor: people are less wiling to comment when they are forced to put their name under it. It does not matter how you enhance the commenting function. Even if you invent a method of entering comments without them touching the keyboard - the fact of placing their name under it is what will stop the whole process.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2016
    photoclick wrote: »
    - the fact of placing their name under it is what will stop the whole process.

I've been a fan of anonymous comments from the beginning but just to make sure we focus on the real issue...

As I understand it the above is exactly why Smugmug refuses to allow anonymous comments. Given anonymity people will post things that are considered completely unacceptable, perhaps even illegal, and indirectly involve Smugmug in the situation.

Many - and I'm one, believe people can police their own sites.

However, I also realize many others will not do so, and litigation and public impression gets shaped usually by the worst of us, not the best.

My IMPRESSION is this is not about how much people want it, or hard or easy, it is about lack of willingness of Smugmug to accept the risk of increased filth if anonymous comments are allowed.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    My IMPRESSION is this is not about how much people want it, or hard or easy, it is about lack of willingness of Smugmug to accept the risk of increased filth if anonymous comments are allowed.
    Easy solution, turn off everyone's comments and tell them they are then responsible if they manually
    turn them back on. Maybe even add a sub box to "allow comments" to "allow anonymous comments".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    However, I also realize many others will not do so, and litigation and public impression gets shaped usually by the worst of us, not the best.
    Allen wrote: »
    Easy solution, turn off everyone's comments and tell them they are then responsible if they manually
    turn them back on. Maybe even add a sub box to "allow comments" to "allow anonymous comments".

Again, just to try to steer toward the real issues... That's my point as well. People will THINK they will follow through, turn them on, and get busy and forget all about paying attention.

I did on a blog site -- well, I didn't allow them to post, I put them in a moderation queue. For a few weeks I checked in regularly, and nothing and no one, and kind of stopped. After a few months I thought to check back and was flooded with spam. None showed up of course (it was queued for moderation), but my point was I let my attention wander despite good intentions, and lots of junk descended on the site.

People are people - they are forgetful, they are distracted, and some are just plain stupid. While I do not really agree with SM's broad brush fix to turn anonymous comments off, I can at least understand SM's concern.

Now that said - take my history and your suggestion and combine them - allow anonymous comments but ONLY if they go into a moderation queue where the site owner must explicitly approve them for display.

Now the only "bad" comments will be those explicitly approved by the site owner -- and you have someone identified to hold responsible. Does that meet SM's "know which throat to choke" goal of lack of anonymity?