Options

Email about download being ready

photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited February 3, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

Below is the email a client would have received if they used the Download button. I know we had already discussed similar situation re: SmugMug generated emails. I jsut didn't suspect the Download email will be that bad. Please, I am begging you, try to put yourself in the client's position: I clicked on the Download button on MY photographer's website. Email came from ..SmugMug? welll.. ok, perhaps MY photographer is using some service to deliver images...? But it is signed ....Chris & Don MacAskill, Owners, Photographers, Regular Guys.. What??? MY photographer's name was NOT Chris or Don... in fact MY photographer is not even a guy.. she is a girl!!!

Please, please, please! I am begging you to change it asap!!

email.jpg

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 3, 2016
    The good news: We're going to be changing it!
    The less good news: We've been wanting to change it for a while now, but haven't had a chance to get to it yet. It's in the backlog!
    The less good but makes sense news: We're not going to be signing it with the Photographers name.

You might ask "Why not sign it with the photographers name?" The answer to that is because we don't want to sign someone's name to something they didn't write.
    You might ask "Why not let the photographer write the email?" That's a good feature request, and maybe one day we'll allow you to customize the emails, but that goes down a dark path that can be, from a user experience perspective, a bad experience. When you turn on downloading you just want it to work. You don't want to have to go through several steps. Yes, some of you will want to customize it but it adds complexity we're not ready to go tackle, and that's why it's a good feature request.

It'll look something along the lines of:

- Your photos are ready.
    - [Your photographer's name] uses SmugMug to keep their photos safe and beautiful. We're sending you these files on their behalf.
    - Click this link to get the photos (link / size)
    - You can use this link for the next 2 weeks. after [date] you'll need to request again.
    - If you have any trouble, reply to this email and our support heroes are here.
    - Signed from "The SmugMug Team"
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2016
    Thank you. Absolutely agree with all the points you are making. It's totally ok if you do not sign with the photographer's name, just get your bosses' names off of the email that goes to my client :)