Options

so, is there a fix for the (stupid) case sensitive URLs?

bazancikbazancik Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited February 2, 2016 in SmugMug Support
After a couple of hours of trawling through the Internet I think it's time to ask:

- is there finally a fix or workaround for the annoying Case Sensitive URLs on Smugmug pages / galleries?

Page settings keep telling me to use capital letter for the address and cannot see a work around.
Lost of posts from 2013-14 so hoped somebody has a way?

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2016
    bazancik wrote: »
    After a couple of hours of trawling through the Internet I think it's time to ask:

- is there finally a fix or workaround for the annoying Case Sensitive URLs on Smugmug pages / galleries?

It drives me - and visitors nuts to follow the Case Sensitive Rules that NEvEr really appLied to wWw addreSSes!

I'm using customised domain - and still need to have www.franeksiedlok.com/Vinocence as www.franeksiedlok.com/vinocence would not work :(

Page settings keep telling me to use capital letter for the address and cannot see a work around.
    Lost of posts from 2013-14 so hoped somebody has a way?

Well, neither of those links actually work. But both should. As long as it's only the first letter that's capitalized and it's not the same name as a system page (like /Keyword), lower case should work. If there's another capital letter in the name, it will be case sensitive. The correct address is http://www.franeksiedlok.com/Vinnocence and http://www.franeksiedlok.com/vinnocence works fine as well.

But yeah, this is a crazy requirement. People don't expect case sensitivity in a URL.

Dave
  • Options
    bazancikbazancik Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2016
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Well, neither of those links actually work. But both should. As long as it's only the first letter that's capitalized, lower case should work. If there's another capital letter in the name, it will be case sensitive.

But yeah, this is a crazy requirement. People don't expect case sensitivity in a URL.

Dave

mistyped ;)

so it seems more complex:
    - works OK for www.franeksiedlok.com/vinnocence

But did not work for www.franeksiedlok.com/magnets -- not s-re what's the difference. Changed from "magnets" to "vinnocence" for the time being -- but not happy to keep looking for alternative gallery names...

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2016
    bazancik wrote: »
    mistyped ;)

so it seems more complex:
    - works OK for www.franeksiedlok.com/vinnocence

But did not work for www.franeksiedlok.com/magnets -- not s-re what's the difference. Changed from "magnets" to "vinnocence" for the time being -- but not happy to keep looking for alternative gallery names...

ne_nau.gif

Don't know... I just created a /Magnets folder on my site and /magnets worked fine.

Dave
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 2, 2016
    In order to be able to innovate and continue to grow SmugMug, we need the ability to add pages in the future. lowercase first characters are reserved in the event that we ever add additional System pages (like we recently did with /client). Thus the requirement for uppercase first letter in each of your galleries. As long as it's not a system page we'll redirect /lowercase to /Lowercase properly. There's a thread floating around here that discusses the list of system pages.

/date
    /keyword
    /password
    /popular
    /search
    /browse
    /customize
    /organize
    /client
    /sales
    /homepage
    /settings
    /login
    /logout
    /help
    /prints
    /about
    /dashboard
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    In order to be able to innovate and continue to grow SmugMug, we need the ability to add pages in the future. lowercase first characters are reserved in the event that we ever add additional System pages (like we recently did with /client). Thus the requirement for uppercase first letter in each of your galleries. As long as it's not a system page we'll redirect /lowercase to /Lowercase properly. There's a thread floating around here that discusses the list of system pages.

/date
    /keyword
    /password
    /popular
    /search
    /browse
    /customize
    /organize
    /client
    /sales
    /homepage
    /settings
    /login
    /logout
    /help
    /prints
    /about
    /dashboard

Plenty of other ways to do it that don't come from 1995. Case sensitivity in a url, or anywhere other than a password, is just unexpected and confusing.

Dave