Options

Android app and offline inheritence

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited January 31, 2016 in SmugMug Support
The new android app confuses me completely about its download process. It sounds so easy, but...

Most of the time, when I have a folder set to Offline, all the items in the folder become "Offline" as they are created newly. That seems to work (i.e. when it next notices them). But when a folder is marked offline and there are galleries already in it, it seems inconsistent. Rather than saying it doesn't work, maybe I don't understand it.

And a useful feature (I hope) is that if you have a folder marked offline, and galleries marked offline inside it, you can then go in and choose some of those galleries and mark them as not-offline to save space. At least that seems to work, though it plays into this question:

When you have a folder marked offline, and within that you have other folders marked offline, and within those you have galleries that may be a combination, SOMETIMES the folder shows as offline and sometimes it doesn't. Let me be more specific. In my site I have

Folder Events - offline
=== Folder FGCU Men's Basketball - Offline
=== Folder FGCU Women's Basketball - Offline

When I go into each of these folders, at the top of the screen I get the green down arrow. All three. When I go into the "Events" folder and look at the single line items for these other two, the Men's folder shows offline (green arrow), the Women's does not. It has no arrow at all. If I select the Women's folder, it has a green arrow on it's own display though. Are these supposed to be the same?

My question is really general: what are all the inheritance and persistence rules for offline -- How it is SUPPOSED to work when you have nesting, and after-set changes to lower level or upper level items?

A somewhat related question is one of background processing. Assuming I am on wifi, and I have a folder that is marked for offline, and I have created a new gallery inside the folder (on smugmug). I open up the Smugmug app and view the folder, and in a few seconds the gallery pops up.

Am I done? Will it then download in background without me keeping Smugmug open or otherwise helping it along?

Mostly it does; sometimes I get in there later and it hasn't downloaded completely.

Comments

• Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    The new android app confuses me completely about its download process. It sounds so easy, but...

Agree and my main question is ... where is the Download facility documented in detail?

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories