Finally a Dragon in Flight

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited September 9, 2005 in Holy Macro
I haven't posted any Macro in a while because I've been busy doing wildlife with my new lens so I thought I would drop on by and post some from my last excursion on 09-01 to Blackwell Forest Preserve.

click on pics for exif

I tried and I tried and I tried, and finally I got one, well two actually but the first is a crop so I like the second better.

35273022-L.jpg

35273086-L.jpg

I don't know if this is normal or not but this guy was a cannibal. Look closely and you'll see a damsel fly in its mouth.
35273000-L.jpg

I like the green guys but they, along with the blues, seem to be more nervous than the red ones so they are a little harder to get close to.
35273169-L.jpg

A couple more red guys that I am proud of.
35272941-L.jpg

35272866-L.jpg

And finally, this guy was hanging on for dear life it was soo windy. Check out how torn up his wings are.
35273274-L.jpg

Enjoy, and all comments and critiques are welcome.

Nick
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    good going Nick
    now big birds in flight will be a cake walk, Not :lol4 :D

Nice set
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Great Captures- DIFs and a dragon eating thumb.gif .
    Haven't managed a shot of a dragon eating something yet. Thought I might have got one a couple of weeks ago when a speckled wood butterfly took umbrage at a hawker dragonfly that came into the garden and actually started mobbing the dragon. The dragon turned round took the butterfly in mid air and flew down the garden with it. I couldn't find it anywhere but about 30 seconds later a couple of buttefly wings spiralled down from one of my trees.

Brian V.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Great Captures- DIFs and a dragon eating thumb.gif .
    Haven't managed a shot of a dragon eating something yet. Thought I might have got one a couple of weeks ago when a speckled wood butterfly took umbrage at a hawker dragonfly that came into the garden and actually started mobbing the dragon. The dragon turned round took the butterfly in mid air and flew down the garden with it. I couldn't find it anywhere but about 30 seconds later a couple of buttefly wings spiralled down from one of my trees.

Brian V.
    Thanks Brian, that is a cool story. I didn't even see the wings coming out of it's mouth until just before it flew off. That picture was the last one I got before he flew away and it is the only one you can really see the wings in its mouth.

Thanks for the comment

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    good going Nick
    now big birds in flight will be a cake walk, Not :lol4 :D

Nice set
    Sure no problem, Tomarrow I'll go out and get a Kingfisher in Flight with my 100mm Macro and fill the frame with the bird. No prob:giggle :bs :booze

Thanks Ben

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto