Publish to Facebook - Beta 2. Now with Pages!

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2012
    Hi again, Ann-- I'm a little confused & just want to clarify what you meant by the above statement. What did you mean by the "auto tweet thingy"? :-)

My Facebook business page is linked to my Twitter profile, and when I post on the FB page a tweet is auto created.

So this is an interaction from FB to Twitter that is creating multiple posts from an album. I haven't checked if the same happens if I make an album directly rather than via SmugMug.
  • jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2012
    Great idea! I'm sorry that I saw this too late to be of use for your publishing today; I've been away for the past several hours. But I did "like" your page now. I'll try to be on the lookout for more album-publishing. But if you're going to upload more & think of it in time, let me know here in this thread (like you just did) that you'll be doing so & I'll check for the notifications. And as far as I know, the notifications show up in the fan's newsfeed. When you made a test account, you mean you made a second personal profile?

Yep, I made a second personal profile and "liked" my page from that, then uploaded a the 17 photos. I only saw one post in the main newsfeed and zero notifications in the top-left corner thing. When I have more to post, I'll post here beforehand. I usually have a set a week, but I don't have the next one scheduled yet.
  • jamieratjamierat Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    So it's fixed?
    edited December 11, 2012
    All I can tell you is that it I didn't see the issue when I published. I can't claim that it's fixed or not. :-)
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    FB Connection woes
    'you no longer seem to be connected to facebook , please reconnect and try again" is the message I keep getting after successfully sharing about ten images

What to do?
    :)

the gallry in question
    http://www.digital-finger.com/Galleries/Street-Scenes/Venice-Beach-California/27054821_3Nnb32#!i=2269353441&k=RxnpLBg
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    I have tested this myself, and like Ann and Jhofker, I see one news feed item for all 84 Photos published. Anna Lisa, have you had a chance to test this out again?

Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 10.22.05 PM.jpg
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    The only issue I see with this now, is each photo shows up as a separate post in the "insights" tab, and the "xx people saw this post" for the album do not show in the feed.
    edited December 16, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    The only issue I see with this now, is each photo shows up as a separate post in the "insights" tab, and the "xx people saw this post" for the album do not show in the feed.

Great, thanks for chiming in Dee! Glad to see that this is working for people now. I love this feature, and with the addition of the 3X size, I now post all of my photo directly from SmugMug. clap.gif
  • OscarcOscarc Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    Publish to Facebook appears to be stuck again -- I went through the publish wizard successfully, I've waited almost two hours, and nothing has appeared on Facebook. Can someone please take a look and fix this?
    edited December 16, 2012
    Oscarc wrote: »
    Publish to Facebook appears to be stuck again -- I went through the publish wizard successfully, I've waited almost two hours, and nothing has appeared on Facebook. Can someone please take a look and fix this?

Oscar, have you gone into the album you are trying to publish too? It may be asking for permission to post from SmugMug.
    edited December 16, 2012
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Oscar, have you gone into the album you are trying to publish too? It may be asking for permission to post from SmugMug.

My first publish request finally went through after about 3 or 4 hours (without me having to do anything), so it looks like it's just being *VERY* slow tonight. My second publish request (to the same album) hasn't, but I'm assuming if I wait long enough...

Is there any way this could be speeded up? The usual 15-20 minute delay is annoying but bareable. 3+ hours is just plain ridiculous.
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    I used it at around 4PM PST and it was instant. Worked as described.
    Cheers,
    Monte
    edited December 16, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    I used it at around 4PM PST and it was instant. Worked as described.

How many were you publishing? I've noticed that Publish to Facebook has two modes -- an instant mode (if you're publishing very few) and a queue mode (if you're publishing more than about 5 or 10). It's the queue mode that was dog slow for me.
    edited December 16, 2012
    How many were you publishing? I've noticed that Publish to Facebook has two modes -- an instant mode (if you're publishing very few) and a queue mode (if you're publishing more than about 5 or 10). It's the queue mode that was dog slow for me.

Oscar, how many photos are you attempting to publish?
    edited December 16, 2012

25 in the first batch and 23 in the second. Batches that size usually take about 15-20 minutes.
    edited December 17, 2012
    25 in the first batch and 23 in the second. Batches that size usually take about 15-20 minutes.

I am testing out a batch of 31. I will let you know if I find anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!
    edited December 17, 2012
    I am testing out a batch of 31. I will let you know if I find anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!

How did it go? Did it publish successfully in a reasonable amount of time?
    edited December 17, 2012
    How did it go? Did it publish successfully in a reasonable amount of time?

Oscar, they did publish. It appears to have taken a bit longer than usual. I will look into it, and provide an update tomorrow.
    edited December 17, 2012
    Oscar, they did publish. It appears to have taken a bit longer than usual. I will look into it, and provide an update tomorrow.

Thanks!
  • mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Thanks!

still taking forever. published 16 photos about 4 hours ago. facebook instantly showed the new album, but no photos are in it.
    there are no permission issues on fb side.
    edited December 18, 2012
    mtnbiker wrote: »
    still taking forever. published 16 photos about 4 hours ago. facebook instantly showed the new album, but no photos are in it.
    there are no permission issues on fb side.

Mtnbiker

There are many factors that affect when a queue of photos is published on Facebook, some of which are on the Facebook side. I will retest a gallery of 30 today and let you know of my findings. My latest test at 1:00AM went through rather quickly.

Thanks!
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    I made the mistake of publishing the same set twice because the first one took so long. What would be really helpful is a place I could go to see my queued jobs. I post sets ranging from 20 up to around a 100 on a more or less weekly schedule. I also see only one facebook notification rather than one per image.

For those still getting the multiple "you are not logged" messages, I've found that I have to shut down firefox completely, then, starting with a fresh instance, login to smugmug, and go to what I want to share. I still sometimes get that message, but much less often.

I think part of the issue in my case is that I have my own domain name and there might be some data confusion regarding whether I'm logged in via redwoodtwig.smugmug.com or images.redwoodtwig.com. Is there some kind of coding logic regarding where I was at when I logged in and what the url is that I'm trying to share?
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
    edited December 18, 2012
    synature wrote: »
    I made the mistake of publishing the same set twice because the first one took so long. What would be really helpful is a place I could go to see my queued jobs. I post sets ranging from 20 up to around a 100 on a more or less weekly schedule. I also see only one facebook notification rather than one per image.

For those still getting the multiple "you are not logged" messages, I've found that I have to shut down firefox completely, then, starting with a fresh instance, login to smugmug, and go to what I want to share. I still sometimes get that message, but much less often.

I think part of the issue in my case is that I have my own domain name and there might be some data confusion regarding whether I'm logged in via redwoodtwig.smugmug.com or images.redwoodtwig.com. Is there some kind of coding logic regarding where I was at when I logged in and what the url is that I'm trying to share?

Brandon,

I will look into what the options might be to prevent you from double publishing an album.

In regards to your statement "I also see only one facebook notification rather than one per image.", are you saying you would prefer to have one notification per image? When publishing 100 images, your friends and subscriber's news feed would be overrun with your photos, which, most likely, will cause them to mute all of your posts.

As for the "Not logged In" messages, have you tried on a different browser? I use Chrome and Safari, and have yet to receive that message while publishing through my custom URL www.mb-photography-sf.com
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Brandon,

I will look into what the options might be to prevent you from double publishing an album.

In regards to your statement "I also see only one facebook notification rather than one per image.", are you saying you would prefer to have one notification per image? When publishing 100 images, your friends and subscriber's news feed would be overrun with your photos, which, most likely, will cause them to mute all of your posts.

As for the "Not logged In" messages, have you tried on a different browser? I use Chrome and Safari, and have yet to receive that message while publishing through my custom URL www.mb-photography-sf.com

One notification per publish to facebook job, please. I guess I should have made it clear that I'm with the others, and do not want to clutter things up with a notification per image.

I never seem to get the correct combination with Chrome, perhaps because I'm trying to take advantage of Google's behind the scenes stuff you can turn on in Chrome.

When you publish, does you login with your custom url? Or do you log in under your smugmug url? Does that make a difference? I've tried to test it, but I'm not sure what other variables, like cookies and such, might be involved.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Brandon,

I would assume Brandon is furnishing info to the rest of us on this list about the notifications as a courtesy, not because he wants multiple notifications! There had been a continuing nasty bug (on FB's end) which caused fans of our business pages to get a notification for each & every photo published to an album. It is supposedly gone now, but there's still nothing on the FB side to tell us that for sure, and I don't think it's been extensively tested. Note that this was just on biz pages, not personal timelines! I don't mean to answer for Brandon, but just filling you in since I'd be willing to bet that's the case. I would suggest if you're a SmugMug person trying to be of help on this thread, you should read the whole thread from the beginning, as there are other issues that are not yet solved, and there's an awful lot to understand about the intricate workings of the Publish to FB option. [ETA: Ooops, sorry-- just read further on some recent threads & learned that you're sort of the "new Andy" or something like that :-) So welcome aboard & I can now appreciate that you may have more than a few thousand pages of forums to catch up on & we'd better be a little patient?! Good luck!]
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
    edited December 18, 2012
    synature wrote: »
    One notification per publish to facebook job, please. I guess I should have made it clear that I'm with the others, and do not want to clutter things up with a notification per image.

I never seem to get the correct combination with Chrome, perhaps because I'm trying to take advantage of Google's behind the scenes stuff you can turn on in Chrome.

When you publish, does you login with your custom url? Or do you log in under your smugmug url? Does that make a difference? I've tried to test it, but I'm not sure what other variables, like cookies and such, might be involved.

Brandon, I go directly to www.smugmug.com and log in, then click on "My Homepage" link to enter my site. I figured you didn't want to clog up newsfeeds :) I was just confused with the wording of your statement.
    edited December 18, 2012
    Anna,

A couple thousand is am understatement :) Thank you for your patience as I get my bearings.

I did know about the multiple notifications on biz pages issue. While the issue remains open in the dev.facebook site, it does in fact appear to be fixed. I have tested it extensively in the last week.

Now that I re-read Brandon's original quote, I do see that he was apparently saying that the multiple notifications was fixed. Sorry for the confusion!
    edited December 19, 2012
    Issue: In IE10, the fields involved in creating a new FB album via the publish tool do not show up. The screenshot below is after I clicked "Create a new personal gallery"

Qgx5m.png
    edited December 19, 2012
    Thank you for the report Jordan. I will investigate this to see if I can reproduce on IE10. Have you tried restarting IE10, just to make sure this wasn't a one time issue?

Thanks again Jordan!
    edited December 20, 2012
    Thank you for the report Jordan. I will investigate this to see if I can reproduce on IE10. Have you tried restarting IE10, just to make sure this wasn't a one time issue?

Thanks again Jordan!

I've seen this very consistently in IE9. I've given up on IE with Publish to Facebook and use Firefox every time I want to use this feature.