Publish to Facebook - Beta

Comments

• WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    martinjp2 wrote: »
    So I was logged into FB with my other account and went to Smugmug with my account login and password for the other FB account which I thought I had Smugmug set to and Publish to FB worked, but I don't want the pictures in that FB account.

The "Your Social Accounts" really needs to be an edit dialog where you can set all of the linking parameters.

I'd really prefer if Smugmug allowed my FB friends to add keywords to my Smugmug pictures!!!!!!!

I won't post pictures of people to Facebook. Their facial recognition freeks me out! Talk about big brother.

Hmm, the log-in thing is a problem they'll have to address soon I guess. I didn't think people were supposed to have more than one FB account though, unless one is a personal profile and one or more are business fan pages. Just to clarify, the "Publish to FB" feature doesn't yet work with Fan Pages. As far as keywords-- there is NO way I'd want anyone else adding keywords, & I would certainly not hold your breath on that one. Just because we can put our stuff on FB, it's not going to be some two-way street where all the FB people can come here & mess with our stuff! If you want others to add keywords, you'll have to give them an "Assistant Password"... but they'll have a lot of other capabilities then too, & you gotta be sure you really want that. Keywording takes a lot of knowledge to do correctly & you'll have people doing all kinds of goofy things that you'd have to then clean up--sure you'd want that?! Even long-time Smuggers get it wrong at times. And about facial recognition-- that's really not such a big deal... it's just technology that's matching one image to another. Sure makes it easier, & I'm sure it's here to stay!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Titus213Titus213 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Well, just got it to work once and then nothing. I can definitely see the benefit and would use it regularly. If it worked regularly.

It finally worked a second time. I like it!
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Bugs...
    Hey Guys, thanks for all the feedback. We've been actively working on addressing the bugs, and on adding in a few new features that everyone has asked for. The only bug we've had a hard time replicating is the one where the login button or login window disappears--and thus you're unable to authenticate. For anyone experiencing this issue, can you let me know if:
    1) Are you running a pop-up blocker or security plugin of some sort?
    2) Is your site on a custom domain?
    3) Is it in 1 browser (if so, which one) or does it seem to happen across all browsers?
    4) Are you on a mac or windows?
    5) Is your browser set to accept 3rd party cookies?

Is there anything else that seems relevant to trying to reproduce it? Thanks for your patience, I think you'll like the new stuff we've added in once we get it launched.
  • uridiscenceuridiscence Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    This would be such a cool feature, but I need to be able to post to my fan page. It's useless to me if it only posts to my personal profile. Shucks...this looks like such a cool option too!
  • Titus213Titus213 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    This has been working since 09/07/2011 for me. I just tried it again with my pop-up blocker running and it was fine.
    I'm on a Mac, use Safari w/3rd party cookies enabled, and have a custom domain.

Great job - very useable at this point.
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
  • DMattDMatt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    What should I do if I want to share only one picture from gallery? When I click share and log to FB, I get picture on wall, but when I click on picture, link gets me to my (unlisted) gallery and there I can scroll through all pictures in gallery.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    DMatt wrote: »
    What should I do if I want to share only one picture from gallery? When I click share and log to FB, I get picture on wall, but when I click on picture, link gets me to my (unlisted) gallery and there I can scroll through all pictures in gallery.

Just post a link - using Share > get a link
  • el_matt0el_matt0 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    is publish to pages ability anywhere in sight? :(
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    el_matt0 wrote: »

We appreciate your patience, this is something we definitely hope to add, stay tuned.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    el_matt0 wrote: »
    Check out the app here, it already can:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=188883
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • MacBookMacBook Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 20, 2011
    You are not the owner of this album
    When I try to publish to facebook via the new sneak preview I get the text "You are not the owner of this album" and a blank box with no way to publish. I have selected the Join button on both the smugmug link and my custom link. I tried it with the new UI first and it worked to let me post one picture at a time to just my wall but couldn't find a way to post several pictures to a gallery so I switched to join just the facebook publish function and disabled the new UI. Then I tried to use the Share button in old UI and clicked the new option Publish to Facebook. However, that's when I get the message "You are not the owner of this album"

Any idea what's causing that?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    This may be too much of a security risk in the flow (or handled somewhere else that I haven't found). If I have a gallery of images that I want people to put into FB in their galleries, is there any process other than me creating a gallery and setting the permissions to friend of friends? In this particular case, they are shots of MS sports and I'm looking at what flow allows parents and students easy access to their images w/o me putting the kids photos out to view to everyone who I am linked to.

Thanks and loving the constant product improvement going on at SmugMug.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    This may be too much of a security risk in the flow (or handled somewhere else that I haven't found). If I have a gallery of images that I want people to put into FB in their galleries, is there any process other than me creating a gallery and setting the permissions to friend of friends? In this particular case, they are shots of MS sports and I'm looking at what flow allows parents and students easy access to their images w/o me putting the kids photos out to view to everyone who I am linked to.

Thanks and loving the constant product improvement going on at SmugMug.

Publish to Facebook is currently only available for owners. Visitors cannot use the feature at this point.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    I finally tested this feature out and I'm in love! Can't wait until you can also get this working for Facebook pages, but for personal profiles it's kick ass so far! I love that it keeps my watermarks, no more exporting watermarked copies in Lightroom and having two versions to upload (non-watermarked to SmugMug, watermarked to Lightroom) and no more double uploading... just upload my beautiful watermarked copies to Smugmug and then let you guys do all the Facebook uploading for me, saving me uploading time! Kick ass! I also love the options for links to include when it posts. Great feature!
  • lalartulalartu Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2011
    Facebook image caption
    On hover the separation between the caption and the link runs together in Firefox 6.0.2. It renders with separation (as expected) in Chrome 14.0.835.186. OS X 10.7.1

Everything else looks good.
  • jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    If you have Facebook's new Timeline profile, you'll have a top-of-list album called "Cover photos". The publisher gives a *very* generic error when you forget to select a different gallery.
    edited October 16, 2011
    We've just release an update to Publish to Facebook, you can read about it here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1686335#post1686335

Thanks for all the help with this!
  • rinkshotsrinkshots Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    scotticus wrote: »
    We've just release an update to Publish to Facebook, you can read about it here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1686335#post1686335

Thanks for all the help with this!

Awesome! Can't wait to give it a try later today!
    RinkShots.com - Photography by Scott Cooley
  • schwinbpschwinbp Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    This is not working for me
    I joined the Publish to Facebook beta group and tried to publish some photos from some of my galleries and all I get in a window that says...

"Getting Started:
    Before we can begin, you need to connect with Facebook and grant us access to your albums and to publish photos. We'll never post anything without your consent and knowledge, so there's no need to worry."

And there are no buttons to click to continue, Just the X to close the window.

Sounds like a nice feature if it works. I am running Chrome 14.0.835.....

I also tried this in IE7 and I get the same message, except I get an additional "0/200 Photos Selected" message at the bottom.
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    schwinbp wrote: »
    I joined the Publish to Facebook beta group and tried to publish some photos from some of my galleries and all I get in a window that says...

"Getting Started:
    Before we can begin, you need to connect with Facebook and grant us access to your albums and to publish photos. We'll never post anything without your consent and knowledge, so there's no need to worry."

And there are no buttons to click to continue, Just the X to close the window.

Sounds like a nice feature if it works. I am running Chrome 14.0.835.....

I also tried this in IE7 and I get the same message, except I get an additional "0/200 Photos Selected" message at the bottom.
    Look in this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1686335#post1686335
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • gulfcoastshootergulfcoastshooter Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Feedback on facebook publish
    Since the blog asked for feedback....

Like at least one other has commented, I really have no need to publish photos as an inividual. I passed doing this as personal avocation many years ago. As a pro, I need to drive business to my brand, which in my case does not include my personal name at all, and therefore is not on my facebook fan page. So if I'm reading correctly that I can't publish to a fan page, and therefore only to a personal page, then for those of us for whom brand does not equal name (which in my experience includes larger firms with multiple shooters), we are excluded. Hoping I am missing something.
    edited October 25, 2011
    gulfcoastshooter, we just released a beta-beta version of this that supports pages as well:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=207955
    Since the blog asked for feedback....

Like at least one other has commented, I really have no need to publish photos as an inividual. I passed doing this as personal avocation many years ago. As a pro, I need to drive business to my brand, which in my case does not include my personal name at all, and therefore is not on my facebook fan page. So if I'm reading correctly that I can't publish to a fan page, and therefore only to a personal page, then for those of us for whom brand does not equal name (which in my experience includes larger firms with multiple shooters), we are excluded. Hoping I am missing something.
  • RobbHRobbH Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2011
    MacBook wrote: »
    When I try to publish to facebook via the new sneak preview I get the text "You are not the owner of this album" and a blank box with no way to publish. I have selected the Join button on both the smugmug link and my custom link. I tried it with the new UI first and it worked to let me post one picture at a time to just my wall but couldn't find a way to post several pictures to a gallery so I switched to join just the facebook publish function and disabled the new UI. Then I tried to use the Share button in old UI and clicked the new option Publish to Facebook. However, that's when I get the message "You are not the owner of this album"

Any idea what's causing that?

Ever get a reply to this? I'm having the same problem.
  • savETheducksavETheduck Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    i am unable to get past the initial screen
    Getting Started:
    Before we can begin, you need to connect with Facebook and grant us access to your albums and to publish photos. We'll never post anything without your consent and knowledge, so there's no need to worry.

The FB login button does nothing.
  • graffitimagerygraffitimagery Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2011
    I"m having the same issue as savETheduck. The button is actually there but is non responsive in Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer. I tried it as well on my laptop. I'm so excited about this new feature and can't wait for the bugs to be gone to try it. Thanks for all the work on this as well as the new Beta layout. Incredible improvements!!!
    i am unable to get past the initial screen

The FB login button does nothing.
  • raygunraygun Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    This does not work for me. I'm using IE9, Win7-64bit on a quad core xenon PC. When I press the publish to fb menu I get a dialog box with a "login" button that goes nowhere. Can someone help? Thanks
  • voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Nothing About this is working?
    Photo Smuggler stopped working so I figured I try this. Nope. Wont log i or connect or whatever to my custom domain name... http://www.dotfur.com/goodies
    Just .. nothing... too sad, big disappointment. Would've been nice. Figured it wouldn't work - most things don't: probably some essential piece of information you forgot to include... I couldn't guess what it is...
    Try again: tell me when it's actually ready.

marty
    (dotfur.com)
  • jsinonjsinon Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Great if it worked.
    FB login button does absolutely nothing.
    Jeff Sinon Photography - "Nature Through The Lens"
    FaceBook
    Twitter
    Blog
  • voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Best I can tell it's just a prank. I think sometimes kids volunteer at Smugmug and run these kind of numbers. Joke's on us.
  • raygunraygun Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    1) Are you running a pop-up blocker or security plugin of some sort?
    I could not get this to work with IE9 so I tried InPrivate browsing. That almost worked and I was able to get past the login button issue. However, once I closed the inPrivate session, and started another, the login page now comes up with no button, so...
    I turned off the popup blocker back in a normal session, but the login button is missing there as well
    2) Is your site on a custom domain?
    my site is jefpix.smugmug.com
    3) Is it in 1 browser (if so, which one) or does it seem to happen across all browsers?
    Does not work in IE9, but I did get it to work in Mozilla FF 3.6.18
    4) Are you on a mac or windows?
    Windows 7
    5) Is your browser set to accept 3rd party cookies?
    Probably
    Is there anything else that seems relevant to trying to reproduce it? Thanks for your patience, I think you'll like the new stuff we've added in once we get it launched.[/QUOTE]
    Drop me a line if you'd like me to do some tests.
This discussion has been closed.