Options

Atop Mt. Washington

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 19, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
I'll leave all the facts and figures about Mt. Washington, NH, to a Google search. The place and its history are of epic proportions. And for me, I get to cross off another item on my bucket list.

They promote the cog railroad system as being the first one in the world. I assume it to be so.This shot shows folks being rounded up for a descent trip.

New%20England%20053-X3.jpg

I don't know if that threesome sitting on the rear deck paid extra for an enhanced experience, but I can assure you that they froze their butts off. It was dang cold....in the middle of June.

New%20England20070-X3.jpg

More of their railroad hardware.

New%20England%20063-X3.jpg

There are quite a few research programs going on at any given time. The following two shots show some of their facilities devoted to such activities.

New%20England%20044-X3.jpg

New%20England%20040-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2016
    Thanks for sharing these Tom! So many amazing places in the world. Too bad we can't all just get to wander more. Looks like you had nice clouds! Would not have expected a railroad up there but there it is!

I can feel it in my bones.....like I was there......

Cheers!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited July 25, 2016
    Those cables hold those buildings down when the wind picks up. Literally. Looks like you had a very fun and interesting trip up there. Last month, over at Cannon Mountain some miles to the southwest, it was 16 F at the top in the early morning. By late morning, when we went up there, it had warmed all the way up to 31 F - in June!

Thanks for the photo visit of Mt. Washington, as we missed doing that one.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing these Tom! So many amazing places in the world. Too bad we can't all just get to wander more. Looks like you had nice clouds! Would not have expected a railroad up there but there it is!

I can feel it in my bones.....like I was there......

Cheers!

It was a magnificent trip, Taz. We spent 16 days covering Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine like a blanket. We had the most beautiful weather EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The drive to the top of Mt. Washington was something else. I'm no stranger to some dicey mountain roads but there are stretches of that drive that are white-knuckle affairs. Over the years, there have been three cases of folks driving off the road....I didn't want to be the fourth.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Those cables hold those buildings down when the wind picks up. Literally. Looks like you had a very fun and interesting trip up there. Last month, over at Cannon Mountain some miles to the southwest, it was 16 F at the top in the early morning. By late morning, when we went up there, it had warmed all the way up to 31 F - in June!

Thanks for the photo visit of Mt. Washington, as we missed doing that one.

Mt. Washington was on my hit list for a long time. Getting there was well worth the effort.

Take care, David,

Tom
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2016
    Awesome!! Can you get the train to come to Waterloo, Indiana and pick me up at the old Depot?

i know... it's been way to long again at me getting on dgrin. :(
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2016
    DJT wrote: »
    Awesome!! Can you get the train to come to Waterloo, Indiana and pick me up at the old Depot?

i know... it's been way to long again at me getting on dgrin. :(

" way too long " is putting it mildly, David. All that ABC activity you've been around and nary a picture has shown up here.ne_nau.gif

I hope you're doing well,

Tom
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2016
    Very cool, Tom. You've really given me a feel for the place.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gif

Looks like a fun ride!
    Gulp... eek7.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2016

Thanks for looking in, Don. You would have enjoyed being there. I just scratched the surface of photo ops the place offered.

Tom
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gif

Looks like a fun ride!
    Gulp... eek7.gif

I gave fleeting thought to driving back down the mountain and then taking the train back up just for the experience. Didn't have the time to do it though.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2016
    Very nice, Tom! Looks like you've had a great trip. I was up that way a hundred years ago - back in college, a friend's family had a summer place in the area, and a few of us went up for a week. Somewhere in the box of slides, I have some shots after taking the train to the top of the mountain.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2016
    Nice! :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2016
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! Looks like you've had a great trip. I was up that way a hundred years ago - back in college, a friend's family had a summer place in the area, and a few of us went up for a week. Somewhere in the box of slides, I have some shots after taking the train to the top of the mountain.

Thanks, John. That place has been on my bucket list for a long time. What a great country we live in....and you can certainly see a lot of it from atop Mt. Washington.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2016
    travelways wrote: »
    Nice! :)

Thanks for looking in, Tatiana. While in the region, I was able to make a quick foray into New Brunswick, Canada....particularly Campobello Island, home to FDR's summer White House. That whole island is just gorgeous.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2016
    The cog railway ride is very cool except for the hot embers in the air from the engine.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata