Options

Stormy weather

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
edited July 17, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
cz_2014_0184-123-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Tom's lighthouse reminded me of this shot. Your opinion is welcome, I am unsure about the crop. I like the panoramic view, but the lighthouse seems too centered. I tried other crops, but keep coming back to this one. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited July 16, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Tom's lighthouse reminded me of this shot. Your opinion is welcome, I am unsure about the crop. I like the panoramic view, but the lighthouse seems too centered. I tried other crops, but keep coming back to this one. Thoughts?
    I would also prefer the lighthouse not centered, but I think what is pulling my eyes are the birds. I like the top of the shot, cropped just above the birds - and I find it interesting that with that crop the centered lighthouse seems to work better.. I also like the bottom, cropped below the lighthouse. It may just be me though.

--- Denise
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2016
    I can take or leave the birds, but I am inclined to leave them out, with the lighthouse centered. I feel that the center weight of the lighthouse really tells us what the subject is, The lighthouse, a refuge in the storm. I love this storm light.

That's how I see it, and I'm sticking with it!rolleyes1.gif

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2016
    Wow Cristobal!
    This is a Juano shot if there ever was one!
    Light, drama, turbulence, other elements take this to whole other level for me! Kind of shots I dream of capturing!

Me 3 on the comp though.....if facing just a further to the left to give birds bit more prominence, and not centering lighthouse.....maybe it would be better.....but I can't be sure.
    LOVE IT AS IS!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2016
    I would also prefer the lighthouse not centered, but I think what is pulling my eyes are the birds. I like the top of the shot, cropped just above the birds - and I find it interesting that with that crop the centered lighthouse seems to work better.. I also like the bottom, cropped below the lighthouse. It may just be me though.

--- Denise
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    I can take or leave the birds, but I am inclined to leave them out, with the lighthouse centered. I feel that the center weight of the lighthouse really tells us what the subject is, The lighthouse, a refuge in the storm. I love this storm light.

That's how I see it, and I'm sticking with it!rolleyes1.gif

Phil

Thank you. I really like the birds as I think they are the calm within the storm, so to speak. I do agree that cropping them out works however. Still uncertain.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow Cristobal!
    This is a Juano shot if there ever was one!
    Light, drama, turbulence, other elements take this to whole other level for me! Kind of shots I dream of capturing!

Me 3 on the comp though.....if facing just a further to the left to give birds bit more prominence, and not centering lighthouse.....maybe it would be better.....but I can't be sure.
    LOVE IT AS IS!
    Cheers!

Thanks Taz this means a lot to me coming from a master of landscapes aka "Taz shots"! I didn't have a lot of leeway on how to shoot this one however.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2016
    The centering of the lighthouse is fine with me. The " rules " of composition are not inviolable and, in this case, the positioning works. I'm not sure about the birds. I'd probably leave them out as they divide the viewers attention.

Nice work,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2016
    OK, here a couple of different versions. Still unsure.

#2 Without birds

cz_2014_0184-123-Edit-Edit-2-X2.jpg

#3 With birds, different crop

cz_2014_0184-123-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2016
    All good obviously but I still vote for first cut! I am in love with birds here.....and in first one they lead the eye gently to the lighthouse.....in last one....we get non-centering but split between two elements is bit stronger.....
    Again....all this is nitpick and as photogs we love talking about what excites us......
    In the end it is joyous shot!
    Elements of energy and turbulence contrasted with gentle soothing light and peaceful birds......
    Yeah, keep this one!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited July 17, 2016
    It's interesting seeing the differences in the photos. I prefer the first photo that you posted.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2016
    I agree with both of you, I prefer the first one too!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2016
    I think the third variation is best, but I'd crop even more off the right. The right third of the original image was inert. Be glad the birds give you an excuse to place the lighthouse in an odd spot. Just my two cents.