Options

Folder page, Gallery photo, right click protection forced on?

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited April 28, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I'm confused. I have a folder of galleries here:

http://www.captivephotons.com/Events/Miracle/Players

Each gallery is public, and no right click protection (that I can find anywhere) is selected anywhere.

On the galleries in collage form, right click works as expected (i.e. context menu).

On the folder page showing the galleries, I get a nebulous copyright popup instead of right click being active.

Is there a setting to turn that off?

Not a big deal, just couldn't figure out where it came from and was surprised by it. Maybe I missed a checkbox somewhere?

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2015
    Ferguson wrote: »
    I'm confused. I have a folder of galleries here:

http://www.captivephotons.com/Events/Miracle/Players

Each gallery is public, and no right click protection (that I can find anywhere) is selected anywhere.

On the galleries in collage form, right click works as expected (i.e. context menu).

On the folder page showing the galleries, I get a nebulous copyright popup instead of right click being active.

Not a big deal, just couldn't figure out where it came from and was surprised by it. Maybe I missed a checkbox somewhere?

No way to turn it off. Smugmug has explained that this is done for performance reasons. Instead of checking each gallery to see if right click protection is turned on or off, which would take some time while the page is loading, they assume it's on. I think this should be a global setting since many of us don't use right click protection at all, but it isn't. You can change the message using CSS though.

What bothers me about it is that I can't even right click on a gallery to copy a link. Right click protection is always annoying and pretty much useless. With all the confusion it causes, they should probably just remove that feature entirely.

Dave
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited April 28, 2015
    Ferguson wrote: »

It's not you, smug has enabled right click (non)protection on folder pages. There is a discussion in this thread with an answer of sorts in this post.

I don't like that right click is not blocked on my site but that I can't stop this behavior on folders.

There isn't a setting to turn this off.

--- Denise
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited April 28, 2015
    pilotdave wrote: »
    What bothers me about it is that I can't even right click on a gallery to copy a link. Right click protection is always annoying and pretty much useless. With all the confusion it causes, they should probably just remove that feature entirely.
    My thoughts too Dave!

I can't believe how many people seem to think it protects their photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2015
    I can't believe how many people seem to think it protects their photos.

Supported by vendors like Smugmug offering it at lest on the face of it appearing as protection (yes, I know it's documented otherwise).

I know, chicken and egg - customers demand it so Smugmug provides it; Providing it makes it look like it must be effective when you just see the option sitting there.

Thanks both!